Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert

Re: Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve head

Post by Caprimaniac » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Kazoom wrote:no they did not have cooling or pushrod problems...

again just internet lore/bullshat by some 2 valve internet experts that just dont get or want to get the tech.
I think you need to get a set of proto heads and show their superiority to the crowds.

It's a brilliant idea in some ways, in others not so good. (Already mentioned above.) The idea is old, but did it ever "take off"?

However, With som brilliant engineering and modern Tools, who knows the potential?

Afraid the 2V Tech is so good these days, and With the 4V OHC Ford engines available and possible sanctioning in dragrace classes I cannot see a big market for these heads. Is it interesting digging into? Yes. And there will always be a buyer or two.

Always interesting to follow the progression here, though.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....

lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Oh, ok. I now realise they are push rod

The old Peugeot push rod Hemi head, allah 203 404 etc shows how easy it would be to alter the rocker gear to suit a 4 v

To me you maybe best to offer these heads as cast, ,,,, one being suitable for ford the other chev
Probably heaps of fellas would love to m/c and create their own take on it
I'd also look at having mods available so that the heads could be OHC ... that would certainly entice a larger customer base

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:55 pm

lada ok wrote: To me you maybe best to offer these heads as cast, ,,,, one being suitable for ford the other chev
I'd also look at having mods available so that the heads could be OHC ... that would certainly entice a larger customer base
Good suggestions ^^^^^

lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Kevin Johnson wrote:
lada ok wrote: To me you maybe best to offer these heads as cast, ,,,, one being suitable for ford the other chev
Good suggestions ^^^^^
Ah , thanks Kevin, stupid I may look,.... and I get a fair bit of stick on ST, why is that :?: :lol:

old_chopper

Post by old_chopper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 am

I'm not sure of the possibility of building some for the Ford application. My buddy that owned the foundry was the pattern maker and he died a year ago. They have contracted with a pattern maker on some small projects, not sure they'd be willing to make the investment for this. I'm probably too close to this project to make an unbiased decision, I think everyone in America would want a set! I will contact my buddy's wife and pass this information along to her. Thanks for all your input.

Kazoom
Pro
Pro

Post by Kazoom » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:14 pm

also keep in mind the chevy LS has simular/same head bolt pattern as the sbf so again it could be another app that may help with getting more interest on them...

LS heads on SBF...

anyway hopefully you can also move forward with your trick project either way =D> .

Kazoom
Pro
Pro

Post by Kazoom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:33 am

some more pics of Crowers 32 valve sbc pushrod heads on his streamliner for those interested...

http://www.crower.com/crower-history/

englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:04 am

140Air wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:Looking at those, I'm getting an Ardun vibe. Lot's of engineering, casting and complication to work with the common short block of the day. Anyone want to wager today's better LS heads will make more horsepower per cubic inch?
jack vines
What are you thinking Jack?
Arao makes some modern versions. When I see these I think about rpm limits. It's the heavy pushrods and cam lobes... But, the two valve springs could provide way more return force than is necessary to control all the heavy parts. Then, the cam lobes have to survive. DLC coatings? Otherwise, the LS can either out rpm it or out cam it in terms of valve lift and acceleration.
with a mild cam..... the 4v head will easily out curtain area the ls.

Kazoom
Pro
Pro

Post by Kazoom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:29 pm

some tech on Feulings old multi valve bb Chevy pushrod heads, imo still not as good as the Weslake/Arao/DB/Thunderpower/Crower/Ford and production bike shaft designs though...

cuisinartvette
Guru
Guru

Post by cuisinartvette » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:13 am

with a mild cam..... the 4v head will easily out curtain area the ls]
Bet youre right
Always been intrigued by a 3-4v sbc head cost kept me away. Used to live few hundred yrds from Arao would hear them testing their Camaro here and there tearing past my place. That thing could rpm.
The cams in my old ZR1 were puny but made good power for what it was. Big honkin piece of metal but had great potential.

will.t

Post by will.t » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:17 am

Does any one have any more info on the whereabouts or who brought the weslake small block, very interested to find out any more information on it. My dad was the original owner and was built for his jet sprint boat here in Christchurch, NZ
shoedoos wrote:This sold for $NZ15k back in 2008 down in New Zealand - pretty sure some of you will be interested to see inside a Weslake headed SB Chevy....