Gas ported pistons

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Re: Gas ported pistons

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

On our 2 barrel engines or any of our cirlce track engines we use a 2and napier ring with a low tension oil rings so far its work for my shop.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

stockcar5 wrote:i believe hendren racing engines did back to back tests with gapless vs standard rings with gas ported pistons and did find a substantial power loss with gapless rings. iirc it was a dirt late model engine.
More than likely that was with gapless 2nd rings, I have not seen any decrease in power using gapless top rings, napier 2nd, and low-tension oil with gas ports vs. JE pro-seal top ring. I have not seen any increase in power on a fresh engine either but my cylinder leakage numbers after 40+ nights of racing are still 2% or less....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

900HP wrote:
stockcar5 wrote:i believe hendren racing engines did back to back tests with gapless vs standard rings with gas ported pistons and did find a substantial power loss with gapless rings. iirc it was a dirt late model engine.
More than likely that was with gapless 2nd rings, I have not seen any decrease in power using gapless top rings, napier 2nd, and low-tension oil with gas ports vs. JE pro-seal top ring. I have not seen any increase in power on a fresh engine either but my cylinder leakage numbers after 40+ nights of racing are still 2% or less....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................
I'm a lurker, not an engine builder, but like others I've never heard of more hp from gapless rings. I have heard that leakdown numbers stay better longer, and a friend who runs low 9's on methanol with a turbo v6 says when he went gapless he went from changing the oil every weekend to once or twice a summer due to less water buildup in the oil from blowby.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
stockcar5

Post by stockcar5 »

900HP wrote:More than likely that was with gapless 2nd rings, I have not seen any decrease in power using gapless top rings, napier 2nd, and low-tension oil with gas ports vs. JE pro-seal top ring. I have not seen any increase in power on a fresh engine either but my cylinder leakage numbers after 40+ nights of racing are still 2% or less....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................
you should get that keyboard looked at..your "m" button is sticking. ;)
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

ha ha ha ha :mrgreen:
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

ijames wrote:
900HP wrote:
I'm a lurker, not an engine builder, but like others I've never heard of more hp from gapless rings. I have heard that leakdown numbers stay better longer, and a friend who runs low 9's on methanol with a turbo v6 says when he went gapless he went from changing the oil every weekend to once or twice a summer due to less water buildup in the oil from blowby.
If there's less blowby but no more power, the gapless combo must result in more friction... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

[quote="MadBill]If there's less blowby but no more power, the gapless combo must result in more friction... :-k[/quote]
Or perhaps the blowby occurs when the piston is a good ways down the bore when rod side loading is high making the piston rock and upsetting the ring seal and there is little energy left to extract? (Just a wild thought :-).) Can't explain why but my friend said he ran the same times before and after the freshenup when he went gapless, but definitely got less water in the oil.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net