Moderator: Team

Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Re: AFR heads on 406 sbc, how much hp

Post by Wolfplace »

A Atwood wrote:
Wolfplace wrote:Wrong head & intake without question especially the intake
A Vic Jr on an engine like this is nuts.
Super Vic or something equivilient would be a start
Bigger heads & there are many that will achive your goals out there now
Cam is too small to get where you want to go

Here is a pretty mild pump gas 420 I recently did that made fair power

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350309
Mike, with engine you referred to, his 3900 rpm stall converter would make that engine feel like a dog. He would need a 5 k stall with that 420.

That is why he should maximize ci and cylinder head. That way he could get by with less cam timing and have a much flatter tq curve while still producing as much hp. My opinion of course.

ARN
Don't disagree at all
He is going to have to make some sacrifices/changes somewhere to get where he wants to go be it cubic inches or RPM or both
For 700hp, even with a 434 I think it is going to take more than a 3900 stall by at least 1000RPM if you want to get it somewhat close to peak torque

The thing is given what it is in I am not real sure you even want to be close to peak torque,, at 1100lbs it might be better to start with less & give it a fighting chance to get moving before seeing peak torque
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

Peak torque on this bike is not an issue,actually peak horsepower is a bragging rights thing.This bike as it sits is very traction limited at any speed.The big horsepower comes into play with a sticky out back,keeping it planted with just enough throttle to be slightly hazing the tire.I have enjoyed reading you guys input.I have been a hobbiest drag racer most all my life,with this bike building an engine that works requires thinking a little outside the box.I,m listening!
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

"This bike as it sits is very traction limited at any speed"

Just what I was thinking. Maybe you want to kill off some of the torque and exchange it for horsepower higher in the rpm range?
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

That just seems dangerous....straddling a 8000 rpm 700hp 406 on 2 wheels.... [-o<
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Orr89rocz wrote:That just seems dangerous....straddling a 8000 rpm 700hp 406 on 2 wheels.... [-o<
X100

[-X [-o<
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

Orr89rocz wrote:That just seems dangerous....straddling a 8000 rpm 700hp 406 on 2 wheels.... [-o<
It's all about throttle control,it can get crazy way too easy.With 560hp and keeping the tire planted, the rate of accelleration is intense to say the least.My goal is to pick up at least another 100 hp and keep the bike streetable.Talked with AFR the other day turns out my 210 heads are the early versions,they say the newer versions with a little more cam,and say an 850cfm carb should get me close to my goal.Still learning,and listening.
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

A Atwood wrote:I think you need to re-think what you are doing. If you go trying to make that 406 a top end screamer, it is going to run like crap down at that 3900 rpm stall you have. Here's my take.
You need as many ci you can fit. I would go minimum 434. Then you need veery good heads. I would build an 18 Degree head set up. With the efficient heads and added displacement, you could reach your 700 hp goal without running too large a cam.

That would be realistic and still fun to ride.

ARN
Honestly this time round plan to persue all ways trying to get the big numbers.Will certainly look into the 18 degree stuff.Also considering an SB2 topend which would be the most complicated because of height issues and exhaust.Leaning heavy toward the 220 AFRs after talking with them.May have to compromise a little on the big number,because the bike will see a lot of cruise time.Could squeaze a big inch big block with a couple inch frame stretch,but the bike as is feels right width and balance wise.
Joel Dubose
Expert
Expert

Post by Joel Dubose »

Put a Ls style engine in it with some AFR heads on it and be done. It would be light weight and get were you want on power. If you want something in a std style I'm liking the 18* or a 15* head with a small cam. It will make big power and be very cruiser friendly. I'm getting ready to build a 440 ci sbc for the streets. I'm going with some 15* heads and a roller hyd cam. Something like a 240 duration cam. It should make 700+ no problem and be driveable for the street use.
JDE Heads & Manifolds
I'm WD with AFR,Edelbrock and many other parts and castings suppliers.
JDE has port programs In popular castings for performance uses, If you would like a port designed for your project contact me 704-658-6951
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I dont know if he needs to consider an engine swap but an aluminum LS would be nice for the weight savings. A simple head swap with matching cam and intake work on that current motor should make alot more power all the while keeping it under 7500 rpm.
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

Hope to use my block, will decide once motor is out of bike.Staying with same engine family would make things much easier,besides the old school is what I crave.From what I have been reading and talking to engine builders starting lean toward the 18 degree heads. 15 degree? Will look into these as well and go with whatever gives me the biggest numbers.Sure would be great to be able to bolt things back together and keep it looking as is and still make the number.
Joel Dubose
Expert
Expert

Post by Joel Dubose »

They make a 15* Chevy head. It's the same as 18* heads but its rolled over deck. The really cool thing about the is there bolt on ability. All 18* parts fit them. Int man, valve covers, headers , everything fits. A plus for the street would be a longer runner. A 15* head has it. Plus it keeps that std sbc look that your looking for. Check it out , Edelbrock has then.
JDE Heads & Manifolds
I'm WD with AFR,Edelbrock and many other parts and castings suppliers.
JDE has port programs In popular castings for performance uses, If you would like a port designed for your project contact me 704-658-6951
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

The reason I suggest an 18 over a 15 is combustion chamber size. The 15 will be awful small and hard to get the CR down to pump gas level with 434 or 440 inches.

One other concern. What can do for exhaust? The 18/15 degree style head has a different exhaust flange. Is this something you will be able to work around? Or do you need to stick with stock style sbc exhaust pattern?

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

Was hoping to not have to change exhaust to much because of chrome covers/heat shields.Cannot ride bike with headers exposed! The outside pipes have to be close to the same distance apart,then can make shields work.What are the combustion chamber volumes of the 15*? My AFR's are the 75* versions. Course you have to change pistons anyway with these 15 and 18's to get valve clearance,so getting compression into the 11's or maybe 10's should be a possibillity right?
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

You would need a custom pistons more than likely. With 18 degree heads, 64 cc is about as large as your going to get. 15* heads will be even smaller. I am concerned about your exhaust more than anything. To get by with the manifolds you have now, you may have to stick with 23 deg heads. Possibly a raised runner 23 deg head with a stock exhaust pattern. Largest, highest flowing 23 deg head you can find with a standard sbc exhaust pattern.

ARN
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

Personally, if it were me, I would get a set of 230 Pro 1 platinums, give them a full blown port job, and go with that. That would make it the simplest swap possible. And with the right port work, you would be 650+ hp easily. Definitely go with the most ci possible, meaning 434 or 440. If you wanted to get a little trick, you could get an offset shaft rocker system, weld up the pushrod pinch, and eliminate the choke there.

ARN