AFR heads on 406 sbc, how much hp

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mdross1
AFR heads on 406 sbc, how much hp

Post by mdross1 »

Presently have a 406" dynoed 560hp.This motor has AFR 210 heads,Comp Cam roller 440 lobes 1.6 in 1.5 ex rockers, Victor Jr,750 dbl pmp Holley.Looking to get into the high 600 to 700 hp range.Was wondering if it is possible with AFR's big heads and 850cfm or bigger carb.
Been looking into SB2 topend,as you all know done right is big money.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Re: AFR heads on 406 sbc, how much hp

Post by 1989TransAm »

What compression ratio on the present motor? Is the Victor Jr stock or ported?
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

I'm guessing at 560HP you have out of the box heads and intake. Porting them and more carb should give you the 100+ you need. Where are you on compression?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

The 220-235 heads will get you over 600 hp easily and closer to 700 if all things are done right. May need one of those to get much over 600.
1997bird

Post by 1997bird »

Can you tell us more about what you have inside the engine now, such as:
- crankshaft used
- Rods used
- piston's used
- block used and what has been done to it like TQ plate honed/deck hieght/what kind of block used/has it been line honed/etc
- camshaft specs ( Advertized duration, @.050" duration, @.200 duration, LSA, ICL)
- rpm range that you want to run this engine from
- pushrod size used
- shaft mount rockers or stud mount rockers (do you use a stud girdle if they are stud mounted)
- valve springs used and where they are actually set up for installed height on the heads

Also if you could tell us more about the car that this engine will be going into.
- vehicle weight
- race weight w/driver
- gear ratio
- transmission used (what type of TQ converter if it's a auto)
- Tire size and type used
- chassis components that have been upgraded

Then what your goals are that you want to reach with your car. I would also talk with Bryce from Dr. J's Performance to port your AFR heads, I just got a set back that were custom ported for the application. He only charged us $1,000 for the port work and valve job and a little more for some new locator's for the SR conversion, shipping, & valve stem seals. He will flow the heads before and after he is finished and will provide you with that information so you know where the heads ended up for flow throughout the lift points on his bench, critical velocities inside the port, and final port volume.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Go with some AFR 235, preferable 245 heads (if you can afford the shaft system which is worth it), and their two piece intake setup. Should put you close to the 700HP area. WHERE IS TONY!!!! HE'S MISSING OUT ON A FEW SALES!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Must be done with the speedtalk types. :cry:

SB2.2 option will probably cost you another $10,000, and that's if you buy most of the parts on ebay. :x
Joe Facciano
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

Spend a 1000 or 1500 getting your heads and intake ported (may be a different intake) make sure your cam is correct and get a 1000 + cfm carb.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Yap, more head be it porting or new, more intake be it ported / modified or new, more carb - 1000 + cfm.

You didn't say what the duration numbers were.

Troy Patterson TMP Carbs
mdross1

Post by mdross1 »

This motor was built at Wheeler Racing in Minn,can say it has the high nickel block,not sure about port work,does have stud girdles.Quite sure this Comp cam is 250 @.050 no info with motor.This motor is in a Boss Hoss motorcycle with built 2 speed auto 3900 stall.Bike weighs approx 1100lbs,running10"wide sticky.Doubt it will ever see more than 6500.Before tearing into it wanted to have an idea of what direction to take.If port work,another manifold,carb,and cam will get me what I'm looking for,it will be built to take the heat.Looking for guidance.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

You aint gonna get what your looking for with the 210 heads period. Heads need to be updated along with intake setup. 700 hp with 23° stuff needs to be pretty healthy stuff without any shortcuts.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

FWIW, my buddy runs a UDHarold grind in his 406 and i believe its around 250 deg at .050. It has old non eliminator AFR 195's that were ported to 210cc and flow around 310cfm at .600. His car made 521whp through a T56 six gear, so thats around 600-615 hp on motor. Traps 130 in a 3400lb car or so. Ported 210's may get you up near 625-650hp.
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

I think you need to re-think what you are doing. If you go trying to make that 406 a top end screamer, it is going to run like crap down at that 3900 rpm stall you have. Here's my take.
You need as many ci you can fit. I would go minimum 434. Then you need veery good heads. I would build an 18 Degree head set up. With the efficient heads and added displacement, you could reach your 700 hp goal without running too large a cam.

That would be realistic and still fun to ride.

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Wrong head & intake without question especially the intake
A Vic Jr on an engine like this is nuts.
Super Vic or something equivilient would be a start
Bigger heads & there are many that will achive your goals out there now
Cam is too small to get where you want to go

Here is a pretty mild pump gas 420 I recently did that made fair power

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350309
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

Wolfplace wrote:Wrong head & intake without question especially the intake
A Vic Jr on an engine like this is nuts.
Super Vic or something equivilient would be a start
Bigger heads & there are many that will achive your goals out there now
Cam is too small to get where you want to go

Here is a pretty mild pump gas 420 I recently did that made fair power

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350309
Mike, with engine you referred to, his 3900 rpm stall converter would make that engine feel like a dog. He would need a 5 k stall with that 420.

That is why he should maximize ci and cylinder head. That way he could get by with less cam timing and have a much flatter tq curve while still producing as much hp. My opinion of course.

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
1997bird

Post by 1997bird »

mdross1 wrote:This motor was built at Wheeler Racing in Minn,can say it has the high nickel block,not sure about port work,does have stud girdles.Quite sure this Comp cam is 250 @.050 no info with motor.This motor is in a Boss Hoss motorcycle with built 2 speed auto 3900 stall.Bike weighs approx 1100lbs,running10"wide sticky.Doubt it will ever see more than 6500.Before tearing into it wanted to have an idea of what direction to take.If port work,another manifold,carb,and cam will get me what I'm looking for,it will be built to take the heat.Looking for guidance.
I would forget about trying to make 700 HP with a 6500 rpm max. In fact your heads are just about right for a 406 in this kind of power band. I would be looking at maximizing my TQ curve so that you can accelerate your bike faster, that way your ET will be better for drag racing. I would change the intake manifold to a Brodix # HP1 dual plane and have it ported and get a custom built carb for the engine requirements. As for a cam I would change that as well, here is a Crane custom grind I would use:

288/292 @.020"
256/260 @.050"
180/184 @.200"
.715"/.715" lift w/1.6 rockers lash .012"/.016"
106 LSA
104 ICL