Moderator: Team

Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Re: 312

Post by Gary Blair »

Torquemonster wrote:
Gary Blair wrote:
Torquemonster wrote: Yates is all I know about the heads Tony used to get 2.61hp per cube. Ran a 6 second pass - not bad for a small block on gas - no power adders.
That is a real stout engine. Who built it?
Tony Marsh of Marsh Motorsports, Manukau City, Auckland, New Zealand

this guy is up there with the best and has good friends in US Pro Stock so they kinda share tricks etc.

If you wanted a motor like that - you'd spend more on ring prep alone than the average hot rodder spends on machining. Motors this good have zero leak down.

BTW - the small block 390 Ford is making peak power around 9700rpm but spins much higher if needed. With the rod stroke ratio that stroker must have - that's darn fine engineering in anyones book. Valve spring pressures are (don't quote me) I think around 2000lb open... is that possible? The engine runs all season - we kiwis can't afford to rebuild every race - tho it must get maintenance.

We got a 6 second pro mod to run all season on zero wear and no parts used up - not even a spring - but that was 1200lb springs, prelubing and a VERY good oil.
That could be a 4.200 bore and a 3.52 stroke for 390 CI. You could use a 9.50 deck with a longer rod or a 9.20 deck. If you really wanted to go low you could use a 8.20 302 block. Anyway you look at it that is one fine engine. Some folks don't like the 7 1/2 intake valve angle but this one sure does.
J.C.

Re: re valve angles

Post by J.C. »

[quote="Gary Blair"]

The Tiger head was a dedicated shaft rocker head. Is that still true?

i know Kaase fabbed the rockers. It would have been a major concern if he was in the top 3...... it was the reason it never came up since he didn't have to tear down......