highest hp with a wedge head?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

toysejr

Post by toysejr »

TSTOM wrote:We dynoed some Brewer and it wasn't anything great The only other head available is something called the pro stock option B1 which was the early Wayne county stuff(I believe) The Brewer head is suprisingly similar to this head
Fred suspected that the Wayne county stuff must have been similar by the way that Chrysler would not talk to him after he showed them a head.
I had often wondered if they did thank you for clearing that up.
ANd no they we not a copy of WC stuff we had never seen their heads..

-Toyse Woody
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I received an email from a reader of this forum. He pointed out this monster from Indy.

655” RB Big Wedge
1165 HP@7400 RPM, 930 Torque@5800 RPM
4.563" Bore , 5.00" Stroke, Race Gas ,Dyno Tested & Tuned, Indy Maxx
Alum. Block Raised Cam, Wiseco 16to1 Pistons Tool Steel Pins, Indy
Tunnel Ram Full Port & Polish, MSD Distributor and Plug Wires, 4.840
Bore Centers, Indy 600-13 CNC 425 Heads , Indy Wide Pan Oiling System,
Jesel Rockers 1.75 X 1.7, Callies Crank (5.000"X2.200"), (2.40X1.90,
65cc), 2 -1195 King Demon TR Carbs, 485 Lbs. Complete, GRP Alum Rods
(6.950"X2.200"), Roller Cam/Offset Lifters(Cust), BG Fuel Lines &
Regulator, ATI Balancer
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

There's many BB Mopar wedges running over 1000hp - both Indy and B1. The Predator mopar wedge is rumoured to make 1200hp on a big cuber - but not seen one.... see www.nrcperformance.com for more details on that head - those guys do seem to know what they're doing and have made a 32 valve Mopar BB conversion that worked awesome - but nobody wanted to buy them.

My buddy's 540 runs B1 heads that have been ported and runs around 1000hp between 5500rpm and 9000rpm from memory - it's an awesomely wide power band for just 540 cubes.
buddy rawls

Post by buddy rawls »

Why is this question not geared more to a max hp/cid? In my experience once you get around 2 hp per cid, you are getting pretty sporty. Once you begin reaching above the 2.25 hp/cid you are really getting into the engineering development phase which bridges above most budgets of regular racers. Most common levels of well built combinations (geared towards high power) hover in the 1.75 to 2 hp/cid region.
Buddy Rawls
Cross Section Engineering
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Re: re valve angles

Post by Gary Blair »

J.C. wrote:the Tiger head is a wedge design at 12*. the way i read the rules and since my personal friend is head tech at engine masters and he explained to me, as in the rules, the valves cannot be canted over +1 or -1 degrees from oem. so to cant the valves as much as a BBC,BBF would be illegal.......

since we are limited to a 4.40" bore with the current bore spacing, i agree that a canted valve for the traditional pontiac would be the next step for the pontiac crowd to get closer to the hp levels of the other brands.
It's going to be interesting to see how Tech handles the head rules this year. Last year he had a digital protractor to measure valve angles. I watched him do the inspections and noted that some heads may have changed not only the valve angle but the pierce point as well. He might need a CMM to really know where the valves belong.
bc
Pro
Pro
Post by bc »

Im pretty sure that the Predator Mopar head is a canted valve head and not an inline wedge head.
J.C.

Post by J.C. »

Gary Blair wrote: It's going to be interesting to see how Tech handles the head rules this year. Last year he had a digital protractor to measure valve angles. I watched him do the inspections and noted that some heads may have changed not only the valve angle but the pierce point as well. He might need a CMM to really know where the valves belong.

i can tell you one thing on Tech at EM. If WR has final say in an engine that is not within the rules as stated for 06, he doesn't care WHO it is, it will be disqualified....... it's just the way he is........

there would have been TWO disqualified last year if he had not been out voted 2 to 1. :shock:
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

buddy rawls wrote:Why is this question not geared more to a max hp/cid? In my experience once you get around 2 hp per cid, you are getting pretty sporty. Once you begin reaching above the 2.25 hp/cid you are really getting into the engineering development phase which bridges above most budgets of regular racers. Most common levels of well built combinations (geared towards high power) hover in the 1.75 to 2 hp/cid region.
so kiwi Tony Marsh did alright then with 1020hp out of his 390c.i. small block Ford - 2 x 4bbl on gas :shock:
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary Blair »

How about the NHRA E/A record holder. 312 SBF 812 HP SC1 heads. That's 2.6.

Is Marsh's an SC1 head?
J.C.

Post by J.C. »

buddy rawls wrote:Why is this question not geared more to a max hp/cid? In my experience once you get around 2 hp per cid, you are getting pretty sporty. Once you begin reaching above the 2.25 hp/cid you are really getting into the engineering development phase which bridges above most budgets of regular racers. Most common levels of well built combinations (geared towards high power) hover in the 1.75 to 2 hp/cid region.

on the hp/per cube deal.....the two poncho motors i was refering to were in the 515 cube range.......
Torquemonster

Re: 312

Post by Torquemonster »

Gary Blair wrote:How about the NHRA E/A record holder. 312 SBF 812 HP SC1 heads. That's 2.6.

Is Marsh's an SC1 head?
Yates is all I know about the heads Tony used to get 2.61hp per cube. Ran a 6 second pass - not bad for a small block on gas - no power adders.
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary Blair »

Torquemonster wrote:
Gary Blair wrote:How about the NHRA E/A record holder. 312 SBF 812 HP SC1 heads. That's 2.6.

Is Marsh's an SC1 head?
Yates is all I know about the heads Tony used to get 2.61hp per cube. Ran a 6 second pass - not bad for a small block on gas - no power adders.
That is a real stout engine. Who built it?
buddy rawls

Post by buddy rawls »

2.6 hp/cid is not out of bounds. Thats getting among the highest I am aware of, regarding a conventional american OHV V8, regardless of the port or chamber layout. In general, around 2.25 you begin stepping up into the realm of highly tested combinations that are above the typical "build me a motor" capabilities. There is exhaustive background with dyno testing and optimization and engineering.

So to me, when the question of max capability comes up, I immediately think of what level of build-up is being described. If its a "what heads/cam/etc so I can bolt it together" scenario, then 2 is very unlikely. 1.75 is most likely a stretch as well. Those values aren't engraved in stone, they are simply trends.
Buddy Rawls
Cross Section Engineering
Torquemonster

Post by Torquemonster »

Gary Blair wrote:
Torquemonster wrote:

Is Marsh's an SC1 head?
That is a real stout engine. Who built it?
Tony Marsh of Marsh Motorsports, Manukau City, Auckland, New Zealand

this guy is up there with the best and has good friends in US Pro Stock so they kinda share tricks etc.

If you wanted a motor like that - you'd spend more on ring prep alone than the average hot rodder spends on machining. Motors this good have zero leak down.

BTW - the small block 390 Ford is making peak power around 9700rpm but spins much higher if needed. With the rod stroke ratio that stroker must have - that's darn fine engineering in anyones book. Valve spring pressures are (don't quote me) I think around 2000lb open... is that possible? The engine runs all season - we kiwis can't afford to rebuild every race - tho it must get maintenance.

We got a 6 second pro mod to run all season on zero wear and no parts used up - not even a spring - but that was 1200lb springs, prelubing and a VERY good oil.
Gary Blair
Pro
Pro

Post by Gary Blair »

J.C. wrote:the Tiger head is a wedge design at 12*. the way i read the rules and since my personal friend is head tech at engine masters and he explained to me, as in the rules, the valves cannot be canted over +1 or -1 degrees from oem. so to cant the valves as much as a BBC,BBF would be illegal.......

since we are limited to a 4.40" bore with the current bore spacing, i agree that a canted valve for the traditional pontiac would be the next step for the pontiac crowd to get closer to the hp levels of the other brands.
The Tiger head was a dedicated shaft rocker head. Is that still true? I noticed that Kaase had stud mounted rockers. Initially the rules did not allow a dedicated shaft rocker head to be converted to stud rockers. Then in mid year the rule changed all of a sudden. The Popular Hot Rodding issue is on the news stand with his engine. I sent you a PM.