Rev limiters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

joespanova
Expert
Expert

Re: Rev limiters

Post by joespanova »

MSD has informed me that the digital boxes are "smoother" than the older analog 2 step , but the 2 steps are no harder on the engine.......so he said .....

the way the digital sequence drops cylinders is apparently different from the 2 step............hell if I know.
modified wanna be
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

Can anyone confirm that the newer digital controllers are "smoother" as a launch controller than the analog 2 steps?

In other words , if I launch at 7000 with a conventional older 2 step it has the characteristic rough sound from dropping cylinders ( which I dont like )....................its my understanding that the newer , say Digital 7 has a smoother RPM control. Apparently the newer digital controls use a different sequence?

All of this stems from me finding evidence of harmonic damage in the engine. In addition to needing to rebuild the ATI damper ( part of the problem ) I am trying to eliminate any other "influence".
I am currently using an old MSD 6AL and a 2 step. ( yeah I know , old ).

Thanks
modified wanna be
n5ifi
Pro
Pro

Post by n5ifi »

joespanova wrote:Can anyone confirm that the newer digital controllers are "smoother" as a launch controller than the analog 2 steps?

In other words , if I launch at 7000 with a conventional older 2 step it has the characteristic rough sound from dropping cylinders ( which I dont like )....................its my understanding that the newer , say Digital 7 has a smoother RPM control. Apparently the newer digital controls use a different sequence?

All of this stems from me finding evidence of harmonic damage in the engine. In addition to needing to rebuild the ATI damper ( part of the problem ) I am trying to eliminate any other "influence".
I am currently using an old MSD 6AL and a 2 step. ( yeah I know , old ).

Thanks
Yes, they are smoother than the analog units.
Sorry, I had to finish this thread up.