Valve seats for titanium valves?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

la360
Expert
Expert

Valve seats for titanium valves?

Post by la360 »

Is Berylium the only option, or are they others out there? They are for a Mopar B1 Head with a 2.3" valve.

Thanks
Alan Jones

It's Ok to disagree, just don't be disagreeable!
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve seats for titanium valves?

Post by JoePorting »

I've heard some valve companies can put a hardened surface on a titanium valve seat so that you can use a standard metal seat. I think that's what AFR does, but I'm not really sure. Hopefully someone else can clarify.
Joe Facciano
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

CuBe is an artifact.

look for ampco-45. Moldstar-90. Moldstar 120... and sintered copper as replacement solutions.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

What is the application? The high-heat transfer seat materials are mainly for long-duration round track applications.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

PackardV8 wrote:What is the application? The high-heat transfer seat materials are mainly for long-duration round track applications.

jack vines
Great point Jack! I run Ti valves on cast and steel seats all the time if the other stuff is not needed!!!
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

It is a drag engine. I had heard about the hardened coating but haven't done any research on it as yet.
Alan Jones

Hot Rod

Post by Hot Rod »

I've done both titanium on both copper berylium and steel seats on drag racing engines. After a season of racing, both look good as far as wear is considered. Like I mentioned, these are drag race engines and heat is not a major concern.
One factor to consider is machinability. Copper berylium needs to be cut where steel can be ground. Grinding berylium produces a deadly dust. IF you have to touch them with a stone, make sure you have great ventilation and resperator handy. Not to mention, berylium is a softer material and does not grind well.....it will clog your stones quickly.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I've used them on the CuBe seats as well as the standard steel seats. The copper seats wear too fast for my taste. These motors are dirt late models and should go 1,000 laps between freshen ups. I had a couple of sets coated just to see about the wear. Only 1 set has been back in with around 1,000 laps on them and they didn't need to be reground. I had heard this for a while on the outlaw sprint guys but really didn't believe it. This is on steel seats, int. valves are the only ones coated.
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

I am running Ti valves in my 402 on the street with Iron seats. Had the valves coated at Calico. :) Working very well and intend to drive it on Drag Week this year.
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

I was in a tech seminar a few years back and Jones (Kinslers builder) highly recomended Coating the TI Valves and Seats for Roundy Round or Street Applications.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

The valves haven't been ordered as yet, so the hard coating that has be referred to I can discuss with them. I was going to look at Victory valves.
Alan Jones

ap-engines

Post by ap-engines »

CrN on the valve face. it will never wear out and is cheaper than DLC.