Barton Super Stock Hemi's

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tenxal
Expert
Expert
Re: Barton Super Stock Hemi's

Post by tenxal »

wyrmrider wrote:I built a motor for my late cousin Bob's factory Nova 327 FI 4 speed car
There were never any factory 327 FI Novas.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

"Although the Nova was not originally available with a V8 option, it wouldn't be long before Chevrolet V8s were offered as dealer-installed options (between 1962 and 1963), up to and including the fuel-injected version available in the Corvette."

Super Sports had a new brushed-chrome console with floor-mounted four-speed manual transmission

Must have been a Don Steves Chevrolet special
we also put in the front end kit form Global West- similar to the Shelby a-arm relocation idea- makes a whole different car
and brakes, tied the body together, etc
Bob was an Annapolis Engineering grad and Korea vet recently retired from the Navy, he understood what it took to make it handel
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

tenxal wrote:
wyrmrider wrote:I built a motor for my late cousin Bob's factory Nova 327 FI 4 speed car
There were never any factory 327 FI Novas.
Man,is this getting away from the original post title but just to add some historical fact to this statement! Dyno Don had a 1962 Chevy II wagon,factory race car with 327 -360 hp FI engine in B/FX and Dick McDermont ran a similar factory race car only a 4 dr. Chevy II that were raced in 62 at various NHRA national events. Dick was an engineer for Rochester Products that produced the Rochester FI systems for GM and Jess Haelen engines in Rochester NY did the "blueprint" work on his 327 and Jess was paid with a check direct from GM. There were others but don't know who ran them. The cars were done at Chevrolet on special jigs that made them very special pieces. Dick was forced to run A/FX for "political" reasons and could not compete against Mickey Thompsons 421 Pontiac machine. I watched Dicks car when he would show up at our local track and it was amazing for its time. Phil D.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I was racing at 62 Winternationals
MT had his Tempests
one 421 had heads with the sparkplugs located as found in an FE Ford I tired to get a picture but...
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I wonder how the Superstocks are running at Indy? Especially SS/B I could not get anything on NHRA's website.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

amc fan wrote:I wonder how the Superstocks are running at Indy? Especially SS/B I could not get anything on NHRA's website.
Jimmy Bridges had trouble all week, never could get a handle on it, 3 tenths slower than Bowling Green. Adkins won it all. Drove well, and ran well.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Adkins qualified .01 faster than Adams and beat Adams by .01 in the SS/B finals. That shows to me both were not sand bagging in any of the qualifying runs. Adkins had a .005 RT against a .014 RT of Adams. I suppose Adkins is the young guy in his 60's as Adams is in his 70's? Both had damn good lights!
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
Jagdpanzer
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Jagdpanzer »

kirkwoodken wrote:I saw a 327 powered early Chevy II that had "Blades" written on the side of the car. I believe it was from Kansas, and had no trouble whipping the hemis the day I saw it. Does anyone know whose car that was and info on it? Very impressive car. Time around the middle 60's.
You are probably referring the little Chevy II run by Dale Blades of Wichita, Kansas. It was a real stormer back in the mid to late 60's around the tracks of the area. Blades ran his own performance engine shop back then. He built a 332 CID SBC for a buddy of mine who campaigned a 57 Chevy in C & D Hotrod class on the old AHRA circuit.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Aaahhh Dale Blades. Having been raised in Kansas City Mo Dale Blades and his engines were the ones to beat.

Good you included him in this who's who of fast cars.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Jagdpanzer wrote:
kirkwoodken wrote:I saw a 327 powered early Chevy II that had "Blades" written on the side of the car. I believe it was from Kansas, and had no trouble whipping the hemis the day I saw it. Does anyone know whose car that was and info on it? Very impressive car. Time around the middle 60's.
You are probably referring the little Chevy II run by Dale Blades of Wichita, Kansas. It was a real stormer back in the mid to late 60's around the tracks of the area. Blades ran his own performance engine shop back then. He built a 332 CID SBC for a buddy of mine who campaigned a 57 Chevy in C & D Hotrod class on the old AHRA circuit.
I googled this and it looks like his name was Del Blades and he died a few years ago. Car was said to have 180 degree headers. I do remember it sounding different and not particularly wildly cammed.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
mhuppertz

Post by mhuppertz »

It all comes back to the factories taking risks. The goal was the most HP per CI, and corporations that were the most innovative and daring should have won the most on a level playing field. GM never rose to the occasion and build an engine that had the head flow of the Chrysler, Ford came the closest.
If the factories wanted to "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" then they should have used their promo money to engineer competitive engine designs.

Instead they penalized the innovative to help the slackers, kind of like the automotive Marxism.

Flame away!
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

mhuppertz wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:10 pm Instead they penalized the innovative to help the slackers, kind of like the automotive Marxism.
I love that sentence.
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

kirkwoodken wrote: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm I saw a 327 powered early Chevy II that had "Blades" written on the side of the car. I believe it was from Kansas, and had no trouble whipping the hemis the day I saw it. Does anyone know whose car that was and info on it? Very impressive car. Time around the middle 60's.

Possibly Del Blades? He had a car named "The Rapier" at one time...a Nova he used to whoop up on the Mopar guys according to the link below. Around Kansas, too.

http://flatheaddrag.com/wir67/wir67bw08.html

Sorry. Didn't see that someone posted about him already.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

mhuppertz wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:10 pm It all comes back to the factories taking risks. The goal was the most HP per CI, and corporations that were the most innovative and daring should have won the most on a level playing field. GM never rose to the occasion and build an engine that had the head flow of the Chrysler, Ford came the closest.
If the factories wanted to "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" then they should have used their promo money to engineer competitive engine designs.

Instead they penalized the innovative to help the slackers, kind of like the automotive Marxism.

Flame away!
If hp/ci was the case, the 2 valve push rod engine would have died by the early 1970s. Keeping them competitive via rules banning 4 valve heads, larger restrictors, and/or larger cubic inches is automotive Marxism... ;)

The Japanese / German / Italian motorcycle engines are all in the 2.5hp/ci range from the factory, full warranty, and meeting emissions. All are 4 valve, pentroof chamber type cylinder heads.

That said, I do really like the SS Hemi's and what they have done with them.
-Bob
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

mhuppertz wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:10 pm It all comes back to the factories taking risks. The goal was the most HP per CI, and corporations that were the most innovative and daring should have won the most on a level playing field. GM never rose to the occasion and build an engine that had the head flow of the Chrysler, Ford came the closest.

Flame away!

Level playing field?

How about 2350 pounds, 500 cubic inches, and two 4 barrel carburetors, on gasoline, manual transmission with 5 forward speeds?

Who has won the most races, most #1 qualifiers, and most championships?

It sure ain't Chrysler.

And let's not forget the Wayne County Speed Shop scandal.