Harland Sharpe Roller tip rocker arms JUNK

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

racerx1622

Harland Sharpe Roller tip rocker arms JUNK

Post by racerx1622 »

I just purchased a set of 1.5 Harland Sharp roller tip rockers at a swap meet.

Yes, they were used, but looked in good condition ($ was right too!)

My engine builder could not get to adjust, and found the roller tips WAY out of round. up to .020.
Also, it seemed the shaft is not square with the body on some, the roller tip did not sit square on the valve, and the body showed wear on the side where the poly lock is.

these are 7/16 stud mounted.

Any comments?? I thought HS to be good??
Can the roller tips be replaced?
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Harland Sharpe Roller tip rocker arms JUNK

Post by Alaskaracer »

All I can say is swap meet. You take your chances. Great deals to be had, and great ways to be had, all in one spot. Harland Sharp makes some good stuff, most likely they were being sold because they were worn out.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Mpcoluv
Pro
Pro

Post by Mpcoluv »

I run Harland Sharp on my 372C with pretty good results.
However, I have heard the out of round story before from folks I trust.
So I suspect that the QC is not that good.
ShaunK

Post by ShaunK »

I've installed at least ten sets of harland sharp rockers and never had any issues.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

It amazes me how one can buy a set of roller rockers from a swap meet or E-bay used and then call them(the MFG) junk! [-X
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Mpcoluv wrote: However, I have heard the out of round story before from folks I trust.
How can you grind a roller out of round?
Tapered yes. Out of round? I would have to see that one.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
paul s.

Post by paul s. »

I guess it's conceivable a manufacturer can make a mistake. the only way i could see that happening was if they were using "ground stock", parted, and then drilled/reamed. and for whatever reason it was drilled off center. but i have never had a problem with H-S.

I MUST AGREE WITH AF2. DUDE, YOU GOT THEM FROM A SWAP MEET. DELETE THIS POST BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! LOL
Engguy
Guru
Guru

Post by Engguy »

af2 wrote:
Mpcoluv wrote: However, I have heard the out of round story before from folks I trust.
If it skips on a centerless grinder it would flat spot.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Engguy wrote: If it skips on a centerless grinder it would flat spot.
Skips WHAT? :?

If the center hole was out of tolerance to the OD one way or the other does not mean the OD is out of round. :idea:

Did the lash look good at one point then went .020" off?

I am thinking the trunion bearings are wore out and allowed the rocker to tilt and give false lash readings.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

When the roller needles start crumbling, the lash becomes erratic. Don't know if rebuild kits are available (or economic) for HS rockers.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Are you sure they are Harland Sharp??? I'm thinking they're probably Chinese junk. They've been copying Harland Sharp's stuff for years. It's hard to tell them apart just by looking at them. Although the Chinese rockers always have alot of play in them.
Joe Facciano
Enigma
Pro
Pro

Post by Enigma »

[quote="JoePorting"]Are you sure they are Harland Sharp??? I'm thinking they're probably Chinese junk. They've been copying Harland Sharp's stuff for years. It's hard to tell them apart just by looking at them. Although the Chinese rockers always have alot of play

My thoughts exactly. Aren't Harland sharpes the original roller rocker? For decades they were the only game in town. Just because they are anodized orange.....doesn't make them Harland sharpe. And as far as oor....because the is an outer dimension as well as an inner, I think you're confusing oor with concentricity. Yes, they'll flat spot in a centerless grinder.....but having run a centerless grinder for 6-7 months I can say that if they skipped more than once....you'd have to get a step ladder to pull them out of the ceiling. :shock:
Mpcoluv
Pro
Pro

Post by Mpcoluv »

These were Harland Sharp out of the box for an LS-2 motor.
Either the roller was out of round or the axle hole was not centered.
Like I said, my set seems fine.
Harland Sharp actually makes a Cleveland specific roller rocker, not a repackaged BBC rocker like many vendors.
racerx1622

Post by racerx1622 »

Mpcoluv wrote:I run Harland Sharp on my 372C with pretty good results.
My engine builder is VERY reputable. He builds very high end drag motors and hot rod motors.
(just put together an AMAZING Pontiac RA2 engine :shock: )
He said he ran across this once before 1-2 yrs ago with same rockers, where it appeared the trunion shaft was milled incorrect.
af2 wrote:It amazes me how one can buy a set of roller rockers from a swap meet or E-bay used and then call them(the MFG) junk! [-X
YES, I agree I knew I was a little off the deep end with the "JUNK" in the subject line, but I only did it to get your attention. I have also heard HS had good stuff, that's why I bought them. I'm aware of the risks of 'swap meet'. you have a 50% chance that 10% of your parts are going to be ok. :?
af2 wrote:
YES, OUT OF ROUND, either the roller wore or the pin wore.
JoePorting wrote:Are you sure they are Harland Sharp??? I'm thinking they're probably Chinese junk. They've been copying Harland Sharp's stuff for years. It's hard to tell them apart just by looking at them. Although the Chinese rockers always have alot of play in them.
This is interesting, because i haven't seen any "copies" that looked so much like these. I actually have a NEW HS rocker that I compared to, and they appear identical in machine work, pushrod socket, tip, pin, everything... But that's not to say.... I wish HS would stamp their stuff like Scorpion.

So, I don't know... Anyone know if I can get parts? Pins, rollers, trunion bearings? These are $250 +/- new, and if I could get parts, these would be fine for a hydraulic cam street motor.

Needless to say, I just bought a set of Scorpions.
paul s.

Post by paul s. »

racerx1622 wrote:
Mpcoluv wrote:I run Harland Sharp on my 372C with pretty good results.
My engine builder is VERY reputable. He builds very high end drag motors and hot rod motors.
(just put together an AMAZING Pontiac RA2 engine :shock: )
He said he ran across this once before 1-2 yrs ago with same rockers, where it appeared the trunion shaft was milled incorrect.
af2 wrote:It amazes me how one can buy a set of roller rockers from a swap meet or E-bay used and then call them(the MFG) junk! [-X
YES, I agree I knew I was a little off the deep end with the "JUNK" in the subject line, but I only did it to get your attention. I have also heard HS had good stuff, that's why I bought them. I'm aware of the risks of 'swap meet'. you have a 50% chance that 10% of your parts are going to be ok. :?
af2 wrote:
YES, OUT OF ROUND, either the roller wore or the pin wore.
JoePorting wrote:Are you sure they are Harland Sharp??? I'm thinking they're probably Chinese junk. They've been copying Harland Sharp's stuff for years. It's hard to tell them apart just by looking at them. Although the Chinese rockers always have alot of play in them.
This is interesting, because i haven't seen any "copies" that looked so much like these. I actually have a NEW HS rocker that I compared to, and they appear identical in machine work, pushrod socket, tip, pin, everything... But that's not to say.... I wish HS would stamp their stuff like Scorpion.

So, I don't know... Anyone know if I can get parts? Pins, rollers, trunion bearings? These are $250 +/- new, and if I could get parts, these would be fine for a hydraulic cam street motor.

Needless to say, I just bought a set of Scorpions.
sooooo..... is this an ad for scorpion? you forgot to mention you saved $26.

i would have a hard time buying any engine parts out of a swap meet. that's just me.