SBC Cam timing problem... 12 deg retarded...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Cam timing problem... 12 deg retarded...

Post by MadBill »

It is very difficult to precisely measure the max lift point. With symmetrical lobes, the usual process is to check the angles that give say the 0.050" less than max lift on the opening and closing flanks and split the difference. This would likely get your measured ICL angle closer to spec with the 0.162" rise @ TDC.

That said, you are plenty close enough to the supplied spec now; it's time to carry on with the build and then hit the road! Every engine is unique in some way so if time and money permit, adjusting the cam in 2-3°increments of advance and retard might yield measurable gains.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

You could also set the cam at the intake closing point you want and see where the other events fall.
Pro question poster.
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

i had this happen this spring on a custom. it was 11 or 12 degrees off. The masters were switched and the lobes were backwards. Check for that because it can happen real easy.
dat383

Post by dat383 »

Thanks for the relies.The crank sprocket is aligned correctly with the numbers on the tooth.I have also tried two different brands of timing sets,with the same results.
I have chosen to ignore the conventional marking points and timed it to the cam specs by advancing the cam 1 tooth and retarding the crank sprocket 6 deg.This puts both the ICL and lift@TDC where it needs to be.

I just gonna make sure i write this down and put it with my cam sheet for future reference....I need a beer......

Cheers, Gary.
QUEENSLANDER!!
JohnnyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnnyB »

I need a beer......

Beer fix's most everything........... :lol: :lol:
If life was easy I would be bored. My EX-Wife has assured me I will never be bored.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

JohnnyB wrote:
Beer fix's most everything........... :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but drink a couple beers before the cam degree and you'll never see the timing dots aligned!

:lol: :lol:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

dat383 wrote:Thanks for the relies.The crank sprocket is aligned correctly with the numbers on the tooth.I have also tried two different brands of timing sets,with the same results.
I have chosen to ignore the conventional marking points and timed it to the cam specs by advancing the cam 1 tooth and retarding the crank sprocket 6 deg.This puts both the ICL and lift@TDC where it needs to be.

I just gonna make sure i write this down and put it with my cam sheet for future reference....I need a beer......

Cheers, Gary.
Make sure you have the opening and closing on both lobes before you put it together like that.