what are the best water and oil temperatures for drag racing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dmatulion

what are the best water and oil temperatures for drag racing

Post by dmatulion »

I have heard different opinions and would like to know what the best temperatures are?
T RICK
Post by T RICK »

I would like to know where the best temp sample is taken. Head vs intake or where?
backpurge

Post by backpurge »

There isn't one temperature for every application.

The cooling system takes away heat (power) from the combustion chamber and if you have too efficient of a cooling system without a thermostat you can be loosing power. If the cooling system does not work properly though you can run into detonation problems if your motor gets too hot.

Oil temperatures are different though. Sure the oil takes away some heat, but not as much as water would. The hotter oil gets the more it degrades which means that your motor is going go to be seeing metal on metal friction at some point if oil temps are not checked upon. Most oil manufacturers have recommendations for not to exceed X temperature and I'd try to stay as low as possible as long as your motor can still be properly lubricated.
[i][b]Making Fast Cars Faster[/b][/i]
[url=http://www.didraceengineering.com/][b]D.I.D. Race Engineering[/b][/url]
ChrisU
Pro
Pro
Post by ChrisU »

Well, in a perfect world you would have a cold induction system and a hot engine.

It depends on the application though. If you're bracket racing you should just run the engine at a 180 degree area operating tempature every time so it's consistant.

If you're shooting for maximum performance, you want hot oil, and a cold induction which for most people means a cold engine.
Uratchko Racing Engines
248-755-5556
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Dmatulion,

There are hundreds of opinions on this. However the fact remains, (in this question of a drag engine) the cooler you can keep your engine, the better off you'll be in many ways. One is you'll make more power! Heat is the enemy of performance. Stop warming up your engine in the pits. if its during the summer the water temp is already 100+ degrees in your engine, so start her up just to get the oil up to proper temp and go racing.
Of course a circle track engine will be totally differant for obviouse reasons. Running 50+ laps will put your best cooling system to the test. For good informative reading check out an article by David Reher. Teck talk article #25 on their web-site. It will put alot of thoughts into another perspective.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
bob cook

Post by bob cook »

I was told by a friend that helps out a Pro Stock team that they run the heads so cold they have condensation on them and they also run the oil hot. It really depends on the class and type of racing you are doing.
speedfreak85
Post by speedfreak85 »

I've also talked to a pro stock team member, and he said at the end of a run the water temp is about 90 degrees. Cool motors make more power.