400 chrysler stroker

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

scracer

Re: 400 chrysler stroker

Post by scracer »

DrillDawg wrote:
Keith Morganstein wrote:The 4.15" stroke, 400 based stroker is a great combo. Revs like a small block. With this budget it seem they will build a 3.75" stroke tho..

Some of the clearancing can be done in the block too. There are areas that can be ground, smoothed and stress relieved in the process.

The 440 source platinum rods work fine. Doubtful you'll have to do a my clearancing (for the rods) with the 3.75" stroke. Some minor clearancing is required with the 4.15 stroke.

On the heads, 906 castings are preferred over the 451's, but neither are all that great. Most of the old cores will need all new guides and all the exhaust seats. The customer might rather use the 440 source stealth Alum head. I haven't personally used them, but feedback seems OK.

I think the stealth heads are based on Pro-comp castings. They seem to flow good and if you get a good set you'll be ok, but I would read some of the feed back on the 440 forums before I would use a set.

The pro comp head is a copy of the Edelbrock Victor head. We have some. They flow pretty well. 355 at .700 lift.

DD
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I've never seen the 440 source head in person, but from the website they look closer to a performer head.

They don't look like a Victor.

440 source claims 280 CFM...

http://store.440source.com/Stealth-Alum ... /200-1055/
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Lucky13
Pro
Pro

Post by Lucky13 »

The 452 and the 346 IMHO are a better head than the 906. They also already have the hardened seats and most of the time a bronze liner will take care of the guides. THey also respond to the bigger valves will min work. If you can find them the 346 heads are probably the best cast heads that can be used ( except for Max Wedge stuff). The thing is you can spend enough on any of the factory heads to get yourself close to the price of a set of aluminum heads unless you have a friend or machines to do it yourself.

For the money its hard to beat a set of Stage V iron heads
http://www.moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/1096/1137

They work real good with the 451 stroker build. The 440 crank in the 400 or the 383 blocks with these heads, and a nice set of pistons, and the old Weiand Tunnel Ram make for a real nice street/bracket setup. This use to be the combo before all the easy to get stoker kits became available ( unless you could afford a Hemi). With a good set of rods no problem to shift them all day long at 7200 or even a little higher. Back in the day we use to do it without it, but a main cap girdle adds a good amount of stability to the blocks if you want ot turn any RPM.

Jess
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

Keith Morganstein wrote:I've never seen the 440 source head in person, but from the website they look closer to a performer head.

They don't look like a Victor.

440 source claims 280 CFM...

http://store.440source.com/Stealth-Alum ... /200-1055/
I had an experience with a set of those. i was able to get them to respond to porting quite well. however. the stand height as machined on the head was two low for the valves they were selling them with, had to do shaft shims to correct the geometry. i called them about it, and if i ever meet the smart mouthed son of a bitch that answered the phone that day out there im gonna break his jaw for insulting me. it wasnt the owner it was one of the goons he has working for him. do yourself a favor and buy some american made edelbrocks.
scracer

Post by scracer »

Our 400 block 500 inch dynoed 845 hp with a single four barrell. It's in our S/C dragster.

quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

A friend of mine built a 512 off a 400 block using Pro Comp heads. Had alot of issues with the heads and by the time it was all said and done he said he could have bought a pair of Victors for the money in them to get thing corrected. He used a flat tappet solid cam on the build and it made 680hp and 680 ftlbs. at under 6000rpm. (Just what he was looking for) So it was a case of you get what you pay for. Dave
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

maple ridge puller wrote:Looking into building 400 chrysler stroker. Want to use 440 crank and h beam 6.768 rods. Looking for any info on what im gonna run into along the way and what I should use for pistons and what would be the best cast head for the job. Thanks in advance.
There are entire books written on the subject. http://www.amazon.com/Build-Max-perform ... 1934709034
Andy F.
AR Engineering
wjnielsen
Pro
Pro

Post by wjnielsen »

The 440 source heads are (were?) basically copies of the Edelbrock RPM. One thing I noticed was that the intake ports seemed to be shifted to one side about 1/8" or so. I had iron heads on the same block, and a tunnel ram, so I could see the port match by looking down the runners. Both heads had the same issue.

Based on measuring the big ends of the rods, the wristpin bushings (supposedly matched to their supplied wristpins), the taper on the main journals, the teaspoons of casting sand (literally) left in the swinging pickup, and other issues, I'd look anything from that company over REAL close.

Oh, and I got some BS from one of the employees there, too.

-Bill
seduce the attractive... charm the rest
scracer

Post by scracer »

Those are B1 on that 845 hp motor.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

No argument from me on using the Eddy's over imports. Reasonably priced for the quality IMHO.

I've yet to use Victor or B1 heads. Have used ported Indy 440-1 heads that will make well over 800 HP with a single 4bbl. Pricey package for the heads, rockers, intake, valve covers and valley cover though.

I purchased a set of H-beam rods from 440 source. They were fine and did not need resizing, but that's just the one set. I've also purchased their pistons which were actually KB (Icon). At the time they were the only company stocking .035" over for a 400 with a 4.15" stroke
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

Do yourself a favor, spend the extra money and get edelbrock heads, if you are considering the stolen 440 Source, sub quality aluminumn heads. The pro comp victor copies, same thing. Also, the 440 source parts are from RPM international. They just stamp their name on em.

Frank
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

wjnielsen wrote:The 440 source heads are (were?) basically copies of the Edelbrock RPM. One thing I noticed was that the intake ports seemed to be shifted to one side about 1/8" or so. I had iron heads on the same block, and a tunnel ram, so I could see the port match by looking down the runners. Both heads had the same issue.

Based on measuring the big ends of the rods, the wristpin bushings (supposedly matched to their supplied wristpins), the taper on the main journals, the teaspoons of casting sand (literally) left in the swinging pickup, and other issues, I'd look anything from that company over REAL close.

Oh, and I got some BS from one of the employees there, too.

-Bill
glad im not the only one. That guy had me in a fury inside a 2 minute phone call and im not one to blow my top that easy. Unless you count the time i flew off the handle at that little fool running shady dell or that moron that runs CRI in florida. :lol:
maple ridge puller

Post by maple ridge puller »

Thanks for all this info, very helful. I believethese rods were from the 440 source site. Im thinkin since he has this 440 crank the 3.750 stroke is what we will stick to. Need to get some bearings and do a lil mock and see what things look like. The customer originally wanted to go with a set of head from 440 source as well but the previous "engine builder" promised these heads would be fine and wouldnt have any more monet in them. Casting numbers are 3462346. They started on some bowl work but I think they were doing it without any templates. Ive never used the template just because I've never did any work to chrysler heads. He has ferrea valves 2.140 Intake and 1.81 exhaust and the seats have been cut for these valves. Being that he no longer has a particular car for this combo Im wonder what route we should go with the camshaft. Im think good low end, good sound but something that keeps good vac for brakes. Im sure this will end up in some type of weekend cruiser and I want to keep things drivable for him so he can enjoy it in whatever he drops it into. As far as templates where is the best place to accuire them. That also leads me to, are these heads worth the work being put into them?
Thanks for all the input so far. Love this site and how much it helps!
scracer

Post by scracer »

maple ridge puller wrote:Thanks for all this info, very helful. I believethese rods were from the 440 source site. Im thinkin since he has this 440 crank the 3.750 stroke is what we will stick to. Need to get some bearings and do a lil mock and see what things look like. The customer originally wanted to go with a set of head from 440 source as well but the previous "engine builder" promised these heads would be fine and wouldnt have any more monet in them. Casting numbers are 3462346. They started on some bowl work but I think they were doing it without any templates. Ive never used the template just because I've never did any work to chrysler heads. He has ferrea valves 2.140 Intake and 1.81 exhaust and the seats have been cut for these valves. Being that he no longer has a particular car for this combo Im wonder what route we should go with the camshaft. Im think good low end, good sound but something that keeps good vac for brakes. Im sure this will end up in some type of weekend cruiser and I want to keep things drivable for him so he can enjoy it in whatever he drops it into. As far as templates where is the best place to accuire them. That also leads me to, are these heads worth the work being put into them?
Thanks for all the input so far. Love this site and how much it helps!

I would have a competent head porter finish what I had. For pistons I would use KB icon no. IC823 $475.95
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

for the money from 440 source you get what you pay for, I have a 500 cu kit had to drill crank to make rite pull the sleeves out of rods to grind and size KB screwed up on the pistons had 2 pistons different than the others said it was no big deal after making them feel stupid they sent me 2 more pistons that matched. they did make it right, with eddy heads engine makes about 840 hp

8.90 et 154 mph pump gas all motor, mopar door car