Small Block Chev Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Team Owner

Post by Team Owner »

Mark Workman wrote:Here's a link to a friend of mine's car who has the same problem with "priorities". Sold the car after grenading the OEM block, but missed it so much he bought it back a week later. Then put together a pump gas 434 SBC, Dart iron block, AFR 220's, mild roller cam, 3400lbs. 10,000 street miles so far, drives it to work 3 times a week, has a kid seat in the back! Has a bottle for this pass, but the car will go 10's without it. Best so far is 9.19, 146+, runs out of gear just past the 1/8th mile mark.

http://www.1320video.com/vids/ydluz.wmv
1956 - my father bought a 1955 Chevy Bel Air - with the power pack option with the money he saved while in the US Navy. He was working at a place called City Service - nights while going to school in the daytime at the Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics. One night when he was pumping gas - they heard a noise that sounded like someone dragging a garbage dumpster with a dump truck. It was a black gentleman driving a Caddillac with no tires on it. Just the steel wheels on the pavement.
I believe that he bought $.50 of gas., @$.24/9 a gallon.

My daddy said to him - hey do you know that you don't have no tires, and the fellow said yep! and left.

The other story was of my uncle - that worked for Cutler & Hammer in Cleveland Oh. He was fresh out of college and was working as a salesman - electricial engineer and probably making $80 a week in 1962
He pulled into a gas station to buy some gas - driving a 1954 Ford.
The guy pumping his gas owned a 1962 Caddillac - also a black man.
My Uncle asked him how he could afford to drive a NEW Caddillac? Especially considering he might have been making $1 a hour at that time.
The fellow replied - it's not what I can afford - it's what i want!
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

" it's not what I can afford - it's what i want!"

Good story, reminds me of a Jonny Cash song.

For a 400 cube motor I would look at the larger CNC ports of the T1, more like the 227cc port.

Even a 23° Edelbrock Vic Jr head. Weld Tech and West Coast Cylinder Heads have a good port for that head. I think Richard's port doesn't need a set of shaft mounts though.

Bret
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

The car has a reasonable 400 chev in it now with a mechanical cam, ported heads, etc etc. It runs high 11's as it's driven to the track, on a basic GF Goodrich tyre. It doesn't get driven half as much as it used to, and he is talking about stepping the engine up a few notches. This Hotrod was raced quite alot before my friend purchased it, hence the full roll cage, and Ladder bar rear, so it's no stranger to the 1/4 Mile

Has anyone got any feedback on the BMF heads that Carl Foltz does?
http://www.bmfracing.com/
They seem to be quite a good package for the $$$

They may be overkill for what he wants to do, but as Bret stated, I would rather see him spend a little more on the heads, than enything else. There is always room for improvement then.
He is making a trip over to California in June next year, so we have abit of time to plan everything out, before he starts stuffing a 40ft Container full of parts.
Thanks again Gents
AL....