600 HP LS engine carb section

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PRO SYSTEMS
Re: 600 HP LS engine carb section

Post by PRO SYSTEMS »

No idea why I am responding to this as others have seen the point. You two guys cannot see the forest for the trees, so let me play Mr. Obvious.

1. I tune on customers carbs.

2. I get feedback from the tuning session.

3. I take the data that I learn and employ it in other similar builds.

4. I make minor adjustments based on their variances (altitude, header size, stall converter etc...).

Now thats why so many folks can bolt them on the way I hand them to them and cannot improve it.

I am working off 15 years of data. I have a fully computerized reference system to recall thousands and thousands of customer builds and their feedback. As a result, I have a pretty good track record of nailing it. You get that from being hands on and being organized. Sure we miss, but Troy you are working off 32 years of data and you EXPECT to miss it? Nice.

OK, I gotta get back to work, I suspect Troy you should do the same and maybe improve your organizational skills and get a little more "hands on" so your product can be a little better when it rolls out of your shop. You should not EXPECT to miss it. Thats not what these folks are paying for.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Patrick, is it a lack of organization and experience on my part or that I am pushing the performance and carburetor design envelop outside the data pool of prior parameters?

I could do as you've expressed and build the same thing time and time again, but I don't. You keep making my point about taking the easy path rather than optimizing :wink: That's fine, not everyone wants to optimize their combination, some just want bragging rights.

I'm really in this because I love the technology and I want to see how far we can take the internal combustion engine.

Troy Patterson blog tmpcarbs.blogspot website TMPCarbs.net Engine Professionals Magazine's TMP Tuning article, pg. 44
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

I can see quite well over the trees, and know to step over the BS as well. :wink:
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

Troy Patterson wrote:Patrick, is it a lack of organization and experience on my part or that I am pushing the performance and carburetor design envelop outside the data pool of prior parameters?

I could do as you've expressed and build the same thing time and time again, but I don't. You keep making my point about taking the easy path rather than optimizing :wink: That's fine, not everyone wants to optimize their combination, some just want bragging rights.

I'm really in this because I love the technology and I want to see how far we can take the internal combustion engine.

Troy Patterson blog tmpcarbs.blogspot website TMPCarbs.net Engine Professionals Magazine's TMP Tuning article, pg. 44
In defense of Patrick, I really don't think you need 500 different carbs for 500 different sbc Camaro's. There have been huge improvements on blow through carbs recently, but how much more can be done to the naturally aspirated carb. I looks like the new innovations are just repeats of things that have been done before. Are we nearing the end for HP gains on the carb? Guys are removing old poorly tuned carbs and replacing it with the trick of the week carb, picking up 20 HP and claiming it as the best carb on the market when they could have tuned their old carb and seen the same gain.
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

Actually, no and no. There are improvements being made all the time, and an "old" carb won't have the hard parts to allow a similar tune. The "old" or box stock carburetors have a limited range of venturi and throttle bore combinations too, so you really can't use what'll work best in most cases.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

I agree with JDR, there appears to be no limit to making gains with the internal combustion engine and carburetors.

avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

Troy Patterson wrote:I agree with JDR, there appears to be no limit to making gains with the internal combustion engine and carburetors.

Maybe you're right. I'm certainly no carb expert. It just seems to me that there would be more advancement in injection than we have seen. Like a completely redesigned injector or different placement or multiple nozzles each doing something different. Sorry, I think I drank too many cups of coffee today. :shock:
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

avengerengines wrote:
Troy Patterson wrote:I agree with JDR, there appears to be no limit to making gains with the internal combustion engine and carburetors.

Maybe you're right. I'm certainly no carb expert. It just seems to me that there would be more advancement in injection than we have seen. Like a completely redesigned injector or different placement or multiple nozzles each doing something different. Sorry, I think I drank too many cups of coffee today. :shock:
I haven't had enough cups of coffee today :shock:

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

avengerengines wrote:

Ignoring diesels and one of the earliest F.I. gasoline cars, the 1954 Mercedes Benz, recent uses of direct gasoline injection would meet your criteria...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
hymey

Post by hymey »

Mr James, I bought one of your carbs last year, took a long while for my new cylinder heads to be sent but I have them now so I am screwing it together and dyno tuning shortly.

Specs are, 434 4.155 x 4 warhark , MAST 12 degree inline heads exhaust has been touched up a little,401cfm 3.28" choke, 2.25" valve, 5 angle seats , 14.0:1 , 273-289-110+0, RX drag lobes, MAST intake and SV1 :) see how we go with it.
Hyd rollers are for GIRLS---The higher the rocker ratio, the sooner the valves will float

JOE SHERMAN RACING
3pedals

Post by 3pedals »

looking forward to seeing your results