HEI DUI vs MSD

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru
Re: HEI DUI vs MSD

Post by kirkwoodken »

I run an old Rochester FI on my 406SBC. I would use an HEI if not for the FI distributor requirement. I run a Delta Mark 10B CD box made in the late 60's. It has a switch that allows standard ignition to be used if the CD box fails. That has never happened. However, switching from standard Kettering to CD always results in slightly higher idle speed. I have observed this on quite a few engines with this type ignition. I use an accurately clocked distributor, a cap with brass contacts, a good rotor, 300+ wires, and plugs gapped at .045". With new gas,I have no detectable misses while pulling against the T-brake at 4400 RPM. I have replaced the original SCR and main Capacitor with newer pieces just for peace of mind. Since this is a 10:1 engine with 7000 RPM limit, I don't think anything better is needed. I have gotten sparks 2 1/4" long with one of these Delta's and a stock Delco coil on different project. If I go back to a 4BBL, I'll use an HEI. I also use a Delta for checking clocking with my antique Sun dist machine.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

On the Rambler Indy 50 lbs boost alky project we used the big black Delco CD, worked flawless
I have always been impressed by the work of George Ilinsky who designed the Grant CD and others
anybody know what happened to George?
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Has anyone done this HEI to Mopar conversion?
http://www.designed2drive.com
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019