Heads for 434 SBC??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Heads for 434 SBC??

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks Joe for the PM, but I'm asking about your opinion about turning a regular SBC head into the LS- type port jobbers along with a new matching intake and side-stepping the 23 degree valve angle design without changing the head-bolt pattern.

Like I said, Tony got PO'd big-time when I pressed him on this subject. And as I posted earlier, I figure it's the LS- head design that allow's them to make so much more power than our beloved '67 SS L-48 engines of old...

pdq67
(BSME/EIT)

PS., and please don't call an LS- engine a SBC because it isn't one!!!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I do not know anything about that , Sorry

JOE SHERMAN RACING
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Joe,

You gotta be sh*tting me if you haven't looked into this. It has nothing to do with TONY M. getting PO'd, but rather creating heads that are designed like the new LS-heads so that the old engines can be retro-fitted so they can compete!

Sorry I bothered you. But hug's and kiss's anyway for your comments. Much respect..

Please carry-on.

pdq67
(BSME/EIT)
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

I have a new set of AFR 235cc heads here with upgraded springs and titanium retainers for sale. $2000, plus shipping.

I bought them to do a dyno test to prove a point but then decided it wasn't worth the grief.
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

Chicken........;)
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
MrBo
Guru
Guru

Post by MrBo »

lun40119 wrote:Chicken........;)
No, no… a sheep in wolf’s clothes……err… "Air Wolf" clothes.
"I promise you Sheriff, I won't throw one more rock... Didn't say nothin' 'bout no brick!" --Ernest T Bass
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

MrBo wrote:
lun40119 wrote:Chicken........;)
No, no… a sheep in wolf’s clothes……err… "Air Wolf" clothes.
Well the Air Wolf is a Dr J Performance Product.

And NO, I'm FAR from chicken. :wink:
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

Just having a little fun Chad. Don't get your feathers ruffled.....;) CLUCK CLUCK!!!
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
DFR RacingEngines

Post by DFR RacingEngines »

I built a 440cid engine for a customer using a 60mm journal raised cam block, and AFR RR heads. I ordered the castings bare (as raw ports) and got them to flow over 380cfm on a superflow flow bench. Granted it took me many many hours of work to accomplish this...(more than I want to admit to) but they did flow these incredible #'s for a 23 degree head. I opened the ports up to 245cc on the "slightly" but longer runners, and 238cc on the runners that are a tad shorter. (This is most important for the runners on the outer end of each head where the port is furthest from the valve in this casting) Also, Keeping the port "throat" sized to 90% of the intake valve diameter is also a key part to the efficiency of this head work. pay very close attention to the cross sectional area, and carefully follow sizing throughout.
I have a few other "secrets" but thats all I want to share at this time.
Using these and a couple other of my head porting methods, this 440cid sbc made over 1,660HP using a Pro-Charger F2 and only 25psi of boost.

I cant wait to try the new AFR 245's......If they flow 350 from AFR, I cant wait to see how I can make them even better....Maybe I will enter that engine masters challenge myself???? hmmmmm????? Ya never know....
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

DFR RacingEngines wrote:I built a 440cid engine for a customer using a 60mm journal raised cam block, and AFR RR heads. I ordered the castings bare (as raw ports) and got them to flow over 380cfm on a superflow flow bench. Granted it took me many many hours of work to accomplish this...(more than I want to admit to) but they did flow these incredible #'s for a 23 degree head. I opened the ports up to 245cc on the "slightly" but longer runners, and 238cc on the runners that are a tad shorter. (This is most important for the runners on the outer end of each head where the port is furthest from the valve in this casting) Also, Keeping the port "throat" sized to 90% of the intake valve diameter is also a key part to the efficiency of this head work. pay very close attention to the cross sectional area, and carefully follow sizing throughout.
I have a few other "secrets" but thats all I want to share at this time.
Using these and a couple other of my head porting methods, this 440cid sbc made over 1,660HP using a Pro-Charger F2 and only 25psi of boost.

I cant wait to try the new AFR 245's......If they flow 350 from AFR, I cant wait to see how I can make them even better....Maybe I will enter that engine masters challenge myself???? hmmmmm????? Ya never know....

How big of valve did these heads have? And you did what to the outside runners? And why?
DFR RacingEngines

Same as I did to the other runners...I was just saying that on the "outside runners" the techique i used is more effective because those are the furthest runners from the intake valve. They had a 2.18" int. valve
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

DFR RacingEngines wrote:Same as I did to the other runners...I was just saying that on the "outside runners" the techique i used is more effective because those are the furthest runners from the intake valve. They had a 2.18" int. valve

I played with that head, but didn't like the profile with a 2.180 valve. I thought the speed was way too fast for my liking.
DFR RacingEngines

The outer runner(only the 1 runner closest to the end on each side of the head) on these castings have a slightly longer distance from the valve than the inner ones. The slightly longer runners were sized differently than the the slightly shorter runners. 245cc/238cc accordingly....
DFR RacingEngines

cspeier wrote:
DFR RacingEngines wrote:Same as I did to the other runners...I was just saying that on the "outside runners" the techique i used is more effective because those are the furthest runners from the intake valve. They had a 2.18" int. valve

I played with that head, but didn't like the profile with a 2.180 valve. I thought the speed was way too fast for my liking.
If you keep the port "throat" size at 90% of the valve dia. you may think differently....also, like i said before, cross sectional area is very important, and keep the head carefully sized accordingly throughout your work.....I guarantee amazing results if this is done properly.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

DFR RacingEngines wrote:
cspeier wrote:

If you keep the port "throat" size at 90% of the valve dia. you may think differently....also, like i said before, cross sectional area is very important, and keep the head carefully sized accordingly throughout your work.....I guarantee amazing results if this is done properly.

oh OK. My street heads have a bigger throat than 90%! It doesn't have enough floor material to do it right.