BBC 502 600hp jetting recommendations

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Re: BBC 502 600hp jetting recommendations

Post by Troy Patterson »

The 850 will only provide some 1.69 cfm per cubic inch displacement to a 502 cid. Let's say the 850's are milled and flow more, say as much as 950 that's still only 1.89 cfm per cubic inch displacement. That's less than a stock 350 sbc with cast iron exhaust manifolds and 3.25 rear end ratio was provided more cfm (2.03 - 2.14 p/cid) from the factory than those engine's will get with those carbs.

Trouble with small carbs on a performance engine is it's not possible to get a good fuel curve and balance between main jet and high speed air bleeds to allow the engine to take full advantage of all the various upgrades done to the engine as the calibration requires a greater degree of compromise than necessary.

Also, cool engines prefer more atomization than a down leg booster - assuming the carbs have down leg boosters. They'd make more torque, horsepower and you'd see more top end RPM on the lake / ocean therefore more speed :wink: Not all annular boosters are created equal :wink:

Troy Patterson blog tmpcarbs.blogspot website TMPCarbs.net Engine Professionals Magazine's TMP Tuning article, pg. 44
gasman5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by gasman5.0 »

cfm wrote:
F-BIRD'88 wrote:If so, what worked for the stock 502-502 dual plane manifold will not work with the racey single plane manifold. Dial it in on a dyno with a proven dyno carb and then make the marine 850 carbs run the same.
The Merc HP500's came with a Dart Single Plane intake manifold.

As Patriyacht mentioned the carbs come with staggered jetting.
By my notes they came with the following:
Starboard Primary = .082" = #75 Jet
Starboard Secondary = .105" = #93 Jet

Port Primary = .093" = #81 Jet
Port Secondary = .104" = #89 Jet
My buddy said the motors had a single plane. When he called me asking about jetting he only had two of three carbs apart and those two had {Pri-75/78}{Sec-89/93}.I did question the air bleeds but he didn't know what are where they were. Not to bad mouth my buddy ...He a good wrench and a pretty sharp general auto repair mechanic but he really is waaay... outside of his realm. I would like to help but I haven't been asked and I'm very.. very apprehensive at this point. These guy's are itching to fire them up.
91 mustang street car..blown sbf hci 5 spd meth inject.... new street motor project.... 408 sbf n/a
gasman5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by gasman5.0 »

Troy Patterson wrote:The 850 will only provide some 1.69 cfm per cubic inch displacement to a 502 cid. Let's say the 850's are milled and flow more, say as much as 950 that's still only 1.89 cfm per cubic inch displacement. That's less than a stock 350 sbc with cast iron exhaust manifolds and 3.25 rear end ratio was provided more cfm (2.03 - 2.14 p/cid) from the factory than those engine's will get with those carbs.

Trouble with small carbs on a performance engine is it's not possible to get a good fuel curve and balance between main jet and high speed air bleeds to allow the engine to take full advantage of all the various upgrades done to the engine as the calibration requires a greater degree of compromise than necessary.

Also, cool engines prefer more atomization than a down leg booster - assuming the carbs have down leg boosters. They'd make more torque, horsepower and you'd see more top end RPM on the lake / ocean therefore more speed :wink: Not all annular boosters are created equal :wink:

Troy Patterson blog tmpcarbs.blogspot website TMPCarbs.net Engine Professionals Magazine's TMP Tuning article, pg. 44
From what I've heard these are the stock carbs that came on the motors from mercury/factory in the boat.
91 mustang street car..blown sbf hci 5 spd meth inject.... new street motor project.... 408 sbf n/a
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

gasman5.0 wrote:
Troy Patterson wrote:The 850 will only provide some 1.69 cfm per cubic inch displacement to a 502 cid. Let's say the 850's are milled and flow more, say as much as 950 that's still only 1.89 cfm per cubic inch displacement. That's less than a stock 350 sbc with cast iron exhaust manifolds and 3.25 rear end ratio was provided more cfm (2.03 - 2.14 p/cid) from the factory than those engine's will get with those carbs.

From what I've heard these are the stock carbs that came on the motors from mercury/factory in the boat.
Ya, if making some more power is the goal, I'd recommend a bigger, better carburetor for sure.