Moderator: Team

Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Rottler HP6A & Diamond honing in general

Post by Wolfplace »

Hi all
Well after "due diligence" (I hope)
We are about to take the plunge & go with something new we have no experience with to speak of & I really hate change so,,,,,

To all of you that have the HP6A or are using diamond stones but particualary those that have gone there from the CK10/CV616 etc
What are your thoughts?
Are you happy with the results?
Especially the finish

Are you using 325's followed by 500 or 550's & brushes?
Or having excellent results with 325's followed with brushes?
I am hearing both work extremely well but Total Seal recommends the three step process

Thanks for any and all input & if you would rather PM or email that is fine too
Phone is 707 984-6103
10AM to 5PM pacific
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
machineman1
Re: Rottler HP6A & Diamond honing in general

Post by machineman1 »

have them, like them. finish rough,i leave .004-.005 to finish, then move up on finish from there.you will figure a combination pretty quik. another bonus with those (stones) they remove nicasil fast, allowing to bore for sleeve.
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Thanks
And thanks to all who PM'd & called me I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines

A tour of my shop
The Dyno

John Wayne
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I have been concidering this as well but for that most part it seems to require different hone heads for a CV616.
Have not been able to get a good answer from sunnen about this.
IS there stone holders available to use diamonds stones on an excisting hone head. Is the aftermarkt filling the void in this area. I know there is a coolant/honing oil change needs to be made as well but that seems to be less of an issue.
I am currently gathering info for a switch. As mentioned the import stuff with nickasil bores must be done this way.
Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
CREngines
Guru
Guru

Post by CREngines »

Wolfplace wrote:Thanks
And thanks to all who PM'd & called me I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts
care to share a bit? [-o< what does everybody say the machine of choice is? rottler or sunnen?
Doug Kennedy

Post by Doug Kennedy »

ProPower engines wrote:I have been concidering this as well but for that most part it seems to require different hone heads for a CV616.
Have not been able to get a good answer from sunnen about this.
IS there stone holders available to use diamonds stones on an excisting hone head. Is the aftermarkt filling the void in this area. I know there is a coolant/honing oil change needs to be made as well but that seems to be less of an issue.
I am currently gathering info for a switch. As mentioned the import stuff with nickasil bores must be done this way.
Dave

I use Diamonds in my CV616 all the time. Sunnen makes stone holders for there diamonds. I also use man-845 honing oil without any problems
Doug Kennedy

Post by Doug Kennedy »

Wolfplace wrote:Hi all
We are about to take the plunge & go with something new we have no experience with to speak of & I really hate change so,,,,,

To all of you that have the HP6A or are using diamond stones but particualary those that have gone there from the CK10/CV616 etc
What are your thoughts?
Especially the finish

I am hearing both work extremely well but Total Seal recommends the three step process

Phone is 707 984-6103
10AM to 5PM pacific

Mike,
Why the rottler? Have you looked at the Sunnen SV-10? I use a CV-616 with diamonds and don't see a need to change
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Doug Kennedy wrote:[quote
I use Diamonds in my CV616 all the time. Sunnen makes stone holders for there diamonds. I also use man-845 honing oil without any problems
That's good to know. I know the rottler uses a different coolant from what I have seen/heard. Was not sure if the man-845 oil would work with diamonds.
That said is there any other suppliers of diamond stones that fit the Sunnen holders that you know of. I have been looking at changing and the cost of diamond accessories is up there.
The burning question is how long do they last for those that switched compared to regular sunnen stones.
Some say 100-200+ blocks if roughing out on a hone 300-450 for just finishing with a typical .005 left to finish.
Since most only do HP work the blocks we do most are iron V-8 stuff 4"-4 1/2" bore. Any truth to this longevity
Dave
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Doug Kennedy wrote:

What are your thoughts?
Especially the finish

Phone is 707 984-6103
10AM to 5PM pacific

Mike,
Why the rottler? Have you looked at the Sunnen SV-10? I use a CV-616 with diamonds and don't see a need to change

I played with Diamonds in my CK10 many years ago & the results did not impress me
The new heads are dedicated to diamond in both machines & they are designed differently
Even Sunnen will tell you they do not recommend using the standard head with Diamond or at least that is what they told me.
Take a look at the differences in the heads & stone designs between the dedicated diamond units compared to the vitrified stone units.

I looked at both the Rottler & SV10 & considered both
MY opinion is the Rottler is a better choice
The SV-10 appears to me to be nothing more than a glorified CV616
It still appear to feeds out the same basic way

If you are considering a change I would recommend you spend some time at either IMIS or PRI or both & play with both machines
They both are great machines I just feel that Rottler seems to have done their "homework' here
Now to be honest I did not spend as much time with the Sunnen machine nor have I talked to many that have it so my assessment is slightly skewed
If I were going to stay with vitrified stones there is no question I would be looking at the SV10 for a new machine but if that were the case I would not be changing at all I would keep what I have & be $40K ahead :lol:
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines

A tour of my shop
The Dyno

John Wayne
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

shanefoster wrote:I accept been because this as able-bodied but for that a lot of allotment it seems to crave altered hone active for a CV616. I apperceive there is a coolant/honing oil change needs to be fabricated as able-bodied but that seems to be beneath of an issue.
You must be related to keviinpiter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
347guy
Pro
Pro

Post by 347guy »

I spoke in depth with rottler last year, not real confident about there machine after talking with others, not to mention rottler were basically stalkers, calling every other day this did not instill confidence. Conversely, speaking with sunnen about there sv-10 was a totally different experience. Seeing as how sunnen is hands down the industry standard, to me its irrelevant if the sv-10 is a glorified 616. There is a shop that bought a rottler and after 6 months of headaches he got a refund, this particular machine was for sale forever at a massive reduction at one of the largest well known used equipement guys that everyone knows. If I am spending 30k plus, it would most definately be with sunnen the proven leader.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

shanefoster wrote:I accept been because this as able-bodied but for that a lot of allotment it seems to crave altered hone active for a CV616. I apperceive there is a coolant/honing oil change needs to be fabricated as able-bodied but that seems to be beneath of an issue.
WTF???
Sounds like you were drinkin the honing oil DudeLOL
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

347guy wrote:I spoke in depth with rottler last year, not real confident about there machine after talking with others, not to mention rottler were basically stalkers, calling every other day this did not instill confidence. Conversely, speaking with sunnen about there sv-10 was a totally different experience. Seeing as how sunnen is hands down the industry standard, to me its irrelevant if the sv10 is a glorified 616. There is a shop that bought a rottler and after 6 months of headaches he got a refund, this particular machine was for sale forever at a massive reduction at one of the largest well known used equipment guys that everyone knows. If I am spending 30k plus, it would most definitely be with sunnen the proven leader.
I have to agree as I have seen a couple different shops that made the switch. They both had electronic issues that took forever to resolve. But I must state they did get the issues corrected and as of now are working fine.
Stalkers they are though. A little off topic bit I did call them about a VGS machine a few yrs ago and wanted info and was not totally impressed Sunnen got my $$ on that one.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

ProPower engines wrote:
WTF???
Sounds like you were drinkin the honing oil DudeLOL
language translator spam
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

To all of you that have the HP6A

Might want to talk with john beck (promachine)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19790&hilit=HP6A

347guy wrote:There is a shop that bought a rottler and after 6 months of headaches he got a refund, this particular machine was for sale forever at a massive reduction at one of the largest well known used equipement guys that everyone knows. If I am spending 30k plus, it would most definately be with sunnen the proven leader.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o