Best bang for buck SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SKeown
Expert
Expert

Re: Best bang for buck SBC heads

Post by SKeown »

George is showing interest in Edelbrock's E-Street heads, likely due to price, is that idea a definate NO NO?

SKeown
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

Look how mismatched the current combo is.
he has crappy heads good 'til 4000 and a single plane that starts to work PAST 4000.
No the e-street is too small.
the guys gave great picks!
I'd use the performer RPM dual plane with a 6k shift and street use. But lots of guys love the nasty idle u get with a single plane sucking in exhaust and choking from overlap EGR, at idle and street cruising. But wait, that is why he is UNHAPPY now. Crappy idle-4000 driving, and crappy above 4000 too :lol:
If it weren't for the 6k strip plans, the DP alone would make it a nicer driver, at least until he can afford the better heads.
tame a lumpy cam for the street, more street torque! see my article, archived in the waybackmachine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707064 ... TGRU/carb/
Great manners equals more fun.
SKeown
Expert
Expert

Post by SKeown »

Everyone has been verry helpful and I really appreciate 900HP's list. It appears to me the Brodix w/180 cc runners would be a really good choice or the Profilers, how much do the Profilers cost anyway? We've discussed the intake and feel a dual plain Air Gap is in order.

SKeown
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

a friend has an air gap and he ended up filling in the center divider. it is cut down for racing, not good on the street, similar exhaust contamination at light throttle as a single plane.
so i should of said
Per. RPM (not air gap)
they both have the same runners.
tame a lumpy cam for the street, more street torque! see my article, archived in the waybackmachine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707064 ... TGRU/carb/
Great manners equals more fun.
Nitrousknob
Pro
Pro

Post by Nitrousknob »

I'm looking in a Doug Herbert Catalog and they sell a top end kit for 1399.99 might want to look into that.
SKeown
Expert
Expert

Post by SKeown »

Anyone know anything about the Herbert heads?

SKeown
ItalianJohnny
Pro
Pro

Post by ItalianJohnny »

SKeown wrote:Anyone know anything about the Herbert heads?

SKeown
Crappy Chinese !

My Profilers were 1295.00 Setup By Chad Speiers... He buys them Bare and sets them up Properly with the Correct parts to match your Cam
I have a Girly Hyd Roller in mine and rev's to 7k with No prob
poboyracin

Post by poboyracin »

I used a couple sets of Profiler and AFR heads last year on customer engines . I prefer the Profilers and that's what I went with on my new engine. Don't buy direct from Profiler though, the wait time is long and the parts are cheap. Chad uses good parts when he builds the heads.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I have not seen the usage here, but if this is not a competition motor, almost any quality aftermarket, or for that matter the vortecs, will make a huge difference in the way the motor runs. Competition Products carries some Profiler stuff, so I looked there out of curiosty. It would appear the Canfield line is being closed out since the company went out of business. 200 cc assemblies for under $900 looks like a smoking deal.
So much to do, so little time...
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

i saw these on ebay they other day. seems hard to pass up for the price. they also have a sr torque version for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVROLE ... ccessories