brodix 11x vs. afr235 dyno test

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tod85
Re: brodix 11x vs. afr235 dyno test

Post by tod85 »

I think it was Chad that previously mentioned that AFR creates "flat-out marketing lies"..... I hate to ask this question, but can you give us details on that ?

Considering you are a competitor of sorts, a little explanation on a statement like that on a public forum is probably warranted. I am curious myself as to what it is. Although I admit, I haven't read any AFR advertisements, but will now.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

farmer wrote:Cam is 278- .682 in , 288- .682 ex I didn't chose the cam thats what Shafiroff installed. I have know idea if you consider it to big The power peak didn't move up so I am guessing its not.
Yes, that's too big.
For peak HP at 6,800rpm, you only need a 268@.050".
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Guess this is turning into another "let's beat up on Tony and AFR thread". Chad and Bryce have some nice SBC heads, but I think they are more similiar to AFR heads then different. I'd bet a Chad 227 vs AFR 227 would produce about the same results. Although if Chad's 227 heads have the intake in the stock location, I'd think the AFR 227 #1068's would have an advantage and make 20 or 30 more HP since there's is moved over .060". Would be interesting if Chad would post the results...and leave out the cat fighting [-o< ...but that's racing I guess. Where would racing be without a good John Force rant. :-"
Joe Facciano
farmer

Post by farmer »

Yes, that's too big.

Thats real funny you didn't have that opinion when I talked to you on the phone a year ago. I guess I am learning something here , who not to do business with.
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

Post by RichardThiessen »

I don't see what's wrong with the friendly (or not so friendly banter)... You can often find the most useful information when people are arguing =D>
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

tod85, Tony cleared all that up for me, but it's was still a marketing fib. The choice words in their catalog is what I'm talking about. Tony told me the words are for their products on their pecking order. However, to the customer buying a head it appears they are saying something different.

And you know what, he listened to me. The online catalog has "our". Again, I applaud that. That was my beef. I also felt some of the dyno tests weren't a boxed type head. They were heads that were rubbed on. Perhaps just my skeptical nature... Never really will know, will we??

Joe, my head is TOTALLY different than the AFR offering. Just can't see by "looking." :)

I'm good, and like I said, I paved the road. I'm just turning left instead of going ahead like I have been.

Hey, the 235cc head is a nice head. Quality, packaging, the total package.

I feel I had some influence on a few things.. Perhaps I did... :lol:
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

I was half-expecting this would turn into another carb vs. FI thread. As far as heads go, the ultimate test for me is like most racers: whose stuff goes faster.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

farmer wrote:Yes, that's too big.

Thats real funny you didn't have that opinion when I talked to you on the phone a year ago. I guess I am learning something here , who not to do business with.
With all due respect, if you called me and gave me the flow numbers on the unported 11X heads, I would never say to run a cam in the high 270's, and the first thing I would tell you would be to get a new set of heads.
I've helped customers "fix" a couple of these Shafiroff engines. In both cases, they changed the head, and reduced the cam duration.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

farmer wrote:Yes, that's too big.

did you give Mike all the information? the correct information? not what you may possibly have or do?

Mike has been very helpful on this board with his recommendations and experience =D>
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

cspeier wrote:The online catalog has "our".
so this was the big "flat out marketing lie"? :roll: i was expecting something a little more exciting given the ranting going on...
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

sanfordandson wrote:
cspeier wrote:The online catalog has "our".
so this was the big "flat out marketing lie"? :roll: i was expecting something a little more exciting given the ranting going on...
Of course not, but it's time to move on! So let's.
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

accusing a company of marketing lies then not producing proof is similar to claiming big hp on a dyno with no dyno sheets...
but hey..time to move on right... :lol:
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

In a full race ,serious 434 engine , I run much more duration and way more lift too, and I make way more horsepower . Everyone has a differant idea of what is a big cam. That is a mild bracket cam to me.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

sanfordandson wrote:accusing a company of marketing lies then not producing proof is similar to claiming big hp on a dyno with no dyno sheets...
but hey..time to move on right... :lol:

All you need to do is use the "search" button. Why hash it out, over and over.. See, THIS is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! No name internet experts stirring the shit! This is why AFR threads always go down this road. It's already been said, but people keep bringing it back up and it goes full circle again. Geez, what a train wreck.

You must not have too interested while it was going on, or you would be up to speed. Perhaps you were pulling parts off a old beater.. :)
Last edited by user-9274568 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koolaid

Post by Koolaid »

cspeier wrote:No name internet experts stirring the shit!
Pot meet kettle.