General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

greywolf
Expert
Expert

Re: brodix 11x vs. afr235 dyno test

Post by greywolf »

Like Tony is going to touch this...
You guys have it correct, there are professional head porters out there that can deliver a head better than an AFR, or other CNC heads available. But for the average guy wanting to go fast, it is hard to beat AFR...IMO.
10 years ago around the track not many people even heard of AFR, today it is probably one of the most widely used head (in Canada).
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.
RichardThiessen
Pro
Pro

Post by RichardThiessen »

greywolf wrote:Like Tony is going to touch this...
You guys have it correct, there are proffesional head porters out there that can deliver a head better than an AFR, or other CNC heads available. But for the average guy wanting to go fast, it is hard to beat AFR.
10 years ago around the track not many people even heard of AFR, today it is probably one of the most widely used head (in Canada).
Maybe that's in Alberta, but not all of Canada. In Ontario, I go to 3 tracks in the southwestern area and most SBC's run Darts if they are aftermarket and have only seen one guy running AFR's and they were 227 CNC in all my years racing, and as for BBC its a mix of Dart, Brodix, and whatever.

People buy "aftermarket-mass-produced" heads because its easy and convenient. Generally they buy whatever someone else recommends or who ever has the best marketing or catches their eye.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

The very first AFR head I bought is what blew my mind. It was back in the 90's, well before they ever thought about making anything for a Ford. They didn't have dealers. You just called them up, they asked about what options you wanted, and built the heads. I ordered a set of AFR 195's for a 383 destined for a street rod.

When I got them (around 1994-95), I removed them from the box, and they had my last name on them written in Sharpie. I was AMAZED at the fact they were FULLY PORTED right out of the box, and it was a REAL port job... not the 3/4" 'gasket match' that came on some Edelbrock units, etc. We're talking fully ported from the inlet to the valve seat and chamber... and it was GOOD! From that point on, when I could get people to spring a few extra hundred for those instead of unported Edelbrocks or something, I did. I still built some engines with other heads, and ended up having to do my share of porting, but using AFR's made that side of the build made things SO much easier.

For this point in time, it was amazing. NOBODY else had such a product, and nobody else even tried to have such a product... for YEARS. AFR literally got at least a decade long head start on mass produced CNC heads. They still don't have that much competition in fully CNC ported heads in a mass scale. Pretty much no other cylinder head manufacturer offers full CNC porting right out of the gate. Most CNC jobs use a middle man... or a different company to port the castings... which needs to turn a profit... adding cost to the final product.

That being said... My next engine is an 8.2" deck 363 Ford street/strip engine. An AFR head would probably be ok, but I want to step it up a bit, and the Trick Flow Hi-Port is what I want to work with. Brian Tooley at Total Engine Airflow has what I'll probably end up with. Their 225cc Hi-Ports seem like they will fit the bill perfectly. They're $2500 out the door with roller springs and titanium retainers.

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/produ ... tfshiport/
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

n2omike wrote:

Pretty much no other cylinder head manufacturer offers full CNC porting right out of the gate. Most CNC jobs use a middle man... or a different company to port the castings... which needs to turn a profit... adding cost to the final product.

That being said... My next engine is an 8.2" deck 363 Ford street/strip engine. An AFR head would probably be ok, but I want to step it up a bit, and the Trick Flow Hi-Port is what I want to work with. Brian Tooley at Total Engine Airflow has what I'll probably end up with. Their 225cc Hi-Ports seem like they will fit the bill perfectly. They're $2500 out the door with roller springs and titanium retainers.

So can I say total air flow is NOT a middle man/ porter???

When you talk out both sides I get worried!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

af2 wrote:
n2omike wrote:

Pretty much no other cylinder head manufacturer offers full CNC porting right out of the gate. Most CNC jobs use a middle man... or a different company to port the castings... which needs to turn a profit... adding cost to the final product.

So can I say total air flow is NOT a middle man/ porter???

When you talk out both sides I get worried!!!
I'm saying that DESPITE being a 'middle man' porter, I'm going with TEA, as they have the product I'm interested in.
Sometimes you want to be in that last 5%. LOL!

Of course, THAT being said, I believe TEA/Trick Flow/Summit are all closely related, somehow.
Summit sells the CNC 225's on their site as a TFS brand, and they seem to be just like what TEA sells.

I'm not fully on one side or the other. I'm just stating that AFR sells a high quality product that is a KNOWN product at a good price. A person may be interested in that, or they may want something different. They might not care about the extra power, and go with a lower level Edelbrock Performer/Vic Jr, etc for a few hundred less, they might try to get something slightly BETTER than what's available from AFR, or they just might want to do things differently than those who jump on the AFR bandwagon.

Personally, I think the Trick Flow Hi-Ports are the best fit for my engine, and plan to go in that direction. I have the shortblock ready to assemble, and am awaiting funds to to the top end.

Good Luck!
greywolf
Expert
Expert

Post by greywolf »

Sorry Richard, I should have said Alberta, regardless, 10-15 years ago you would see for every 10 dart heads, 1 AFR head. Today that is certainly not the case.
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.