Chevy 350 TBI Cylinder Head Casting Number?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Chevy 350 TBI Cylinder Head Casting Number?

Post by ProPower engines »

needforspeed66gt wrote:
gem wrote:
The 217 head doesn't have the 45* center intake bolts like all the other TBI heads.
That's odd as the head I have here in my shop has the center intake bolt holes on the different angle and I can't recall ever seeing a 217 or its sister casting the 083 with a different intake bolt configuration.

I'm in Canada so it might be a Canadian thing we have been known to have different GM castings before.

Odd...I just used a set on a motor this week and the intake bolt pattern and angle was standard SBC + a 69cc chamber.
I marine engines from late 80's to date there was different intake bolt angles used fro the center bolts. The early castings used for marine use had the std. angle and the later ones used the tbi style angle.
This was due to the intake manifolds being used by merc maring volvo-penta etc.
They did standardize in the 90's to just 1 bolt pattern when marine engines started to use injection and that was pre vortec head design.
Most of the marine stuff I see now is the new style bolt pattern. There is no reason why they did this except the number of boats that had older engines that needed replacements and without totally changing everything the intake was left unchanged.Basicly a cost saving measure to sell of inventory. At least thats what the merc marine reps tell me.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

I have a set of ''217' heads on my 327 that were originally on a 300hp 350 GMPP "HO" crate engine. This was the early version of the current 330hp "350 HO" that they are selling today with Vortec heads. The 300hp engine from the early 1990s was the same engine with 217s instead of Vortecs. The center manifold bolt holes on my heads are the pre-1986 traditional arrangement (perpendicular to manifold surface).

I checked volume on mine using a plexiglass plate and big syringe (maybe not the most accurate measurement) and came up with 64-65cc. My heads have 2.02/1.60 Valves installed, but I don't think they had been surfaced before (bought them used from a friend who had the valves installed).
azo2188

Post by azo2188 »

I stumbled upon this site looking for advice on some heads so hear I am .iv got a project Monte Carlo and bout a 350 motor off a friend b/c its a 80's to 90's 350 four bolt main that came out of an
RV...so I figured what netters motor to build other than one of these b/c off the strength and amount of power it comes even stock .about 330 .but any ways he said its all original meaning block and heads and the heads are the 194 EFI swirl port ...so pretty much what I'm asking is that ..ate these good heads to use for a build and if not Wat to use that doesn't cost me an out RAGEOUS price
blue88

Post by blue88 »

The TBI "swirl port" heads... are designed to operate below 4000rpm and move big heavy vehicles. They are not designed for performance applications and do not expect to gain very much by dumping money into them for porting...etc. Best to go with a newer design vortec or aftermarket head. IMO.
sooners77_77

Post by sooners77_77 »

Hey guys I'm relatively new at motor building I have a 5.7 tbi chevy motor im rebuilding to put in my 2001 silverado it has 083 heads can anyone tell me a good intake manifold to use its not going to be anything real hot basically a stock rebuilding with a little bigger cam thanks