chevy 355

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Re: chevy 355

Post by jeff swisher »

I have friends that also own novas of the same weight and body style..the one i will speak of is yellow..
well yellow runs a good size solid roller 250+ at .050 and nearly .600" lift victor jr intake and a big double pumper
big feul line and a electric pump and all msd ignition..aftermarket heads 200cc they are iron eagles..may be a touch bigger

I always out ran him with my ported iron and comp magnum cams....when he replaced the heads on his car with the iron eagles he went no quicker and mph did not change,,,his previous heads were double humps with 1.94-1.50 valves...

If i had to spend my hard earned cash on some heads i would get the newer Afr's in 195cc...Tony will tell you some of the newer bigger AFR's will not hurt the low end of the small displacement engines...check posts with Tony and afr. they have done extensive testing

200cc is large for a 350..unless you match it with a big cam and feed it..I am talking 256 at .050 minimum
I do not know if you have ever ran your car at the track..I dont know if you are getting the full potential out of your combo now.....If you have left some tuning on the table then all the parts and money you throw at it may not make it any quicker, especially if you do not tune it to the fullest potential....That 270 comp cam with ported iron heads will like to be shifted at 6700-6900 rpm with a 750cfm and a good intake.....a 280h will like 7200rpm..and a 292h will be happy at 7500rpm...
I have used these cams many times,,,,
I currently run an old 1969 rotating assembly with cast flattops and ported 601 heads small 1.84-1.50 valves and a 268H that is 218 at .050 stock rockers and pushrods....i shift between 6000-6400 rpm and run in the 13.58 range in a 1947 dodge truck...It has 325 gears and i never take the th350 out of 2nd in the 1/4 mile...I run 235-75-15 tires. it is my work truck

what is your goal?????
have you raced it???
have you got a buddy to beat :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

jeff swisher wrote:I have friends that also own novas of the same weight and body style..the one i will speak of is yellow..
well yellow runs a good size solid roller 250+ at .050 and nearly .600" lift victor jr intake and a big double pumper
big feul line and a electric pump and all msd ignition..aftermarket heads 200cc they are iron eagles..may be a touch bigger

I always out ran him with my ported iron and comp magnum cams....when he replaced the heads on his car with the iron eagles he went no quicker and mph did not change,,,his previous heads were double humps with 1.94-1.50 valves...

If i had to spend my hard earned cash on some heads i would get the newer Afr's in 195cc...Tony will tell you some of the newer bigger AFR's will not hurt the low end of the small displacement engines...check posts with Tony and afr. they have done extensive testing

200cc is large for a 350..unless you match it with a big cam and feed it..I am talking 256 at .050 minimum
I do not know if you have ever ran your car at the track..I dont know if you are getting the full potential out of your combo now.....If you have left some tuning on the table then all the parts and money you throw at it may not make it any quicker, especially if you do not tune it to the fullest potential....That 270 comp cam with ported iron heads will like to be shifted at 6700-6900 rpm with a 750cfm and a good intake.....a 280h will like 7200rpm..and a 292h will be happy at 7500rpm...
I have used these cams many times,,,,
I currently run an old 1969 rotating assembly with cast flattops and ported 601 heads small 1.84-1.50 valves and a 268H that is 218 at .050 stock rockers and pushrods....i shift between 6000-6400 rpm and run in the 13.58 range in a 1947 dodge truck...It has 325 gears and i never take the th350 out of 2nd in the 1/4 mile...I run 235-75-15 tires. it is my work truck

what is your goal?????
have you raced it???
have you got a buddy to beat :D

How much does order the new AFR headsen? you like iron heads, I hear:) you seem to get good speed on the stuff. :) maybe is better if I go down to 180-195 runners to my engine then.
I intend to run the car on the street. no race. have never driven it on the strip either. so I have no times on it.
I want a car with good power for street driving and all that.
do you think I should choose one Hydraulics cam? to such a pair of heads with 195cc runners. maybe even can keep my cam that sits in the engine now.
This is my cam:
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... id=78&sb=2

nice truck you have:)
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

How much does order the new AFR headsen?
I dont understand what this means.

I already know what cam you have i have ran it in my own car years ago....
What rpm do you shift at when you are really getting it on....?
I vote for port your heads,,if they are double humps...Got any casting numbers for us ??
also get a performer rpm intake ...much better than the performer you have.....

trying to keep your cash outlay to a minimum.....good valve springs are a must have with this cam...110 seat pressure works well...old stock springs will not allow you to get the full potential

heck with my 270 cam which is what you have and my 78 nova i could run well over 150mph pulling a trailer built out of a chevy s10 frame ....and blow the tires off at any speed in first gear... You may just need to tune whay you have
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

jeff swisher wrote:How much does order the new AFR headsen?
I dont understand what this means.

I already know what cam you have i have ran it in my own car years ago....
What rpm do you shift at when you are really getting it on....?
I vote for port your heads,,if they are double humps...Got any casting numbers for us ??
also get a performer rpm intake ...much better than the performer you have.....

trying to keep your cash outlay to a minimum.....good valve springs are a must have with this cam...110 seat pressure works well...old stock springs will not allow you to get the full potential

heck with my 270 cam which is what you have and my 78 nova i could run well over 150mph pulling a trailer built out of a chevy s10 frame ....and blow the tires off at any speed in first gear... You may just need to tune whay you have

how much cost in money AFR heads? do not really remember at that rpm when I switch gear. maby 6000rpm. it is winter here now so I do not drive the car now. it is duble humps I have now. This is the number of heads: 3782461
check this page are those with:
http://www.thedirtforum.com/castings.htm
i have 1.94 / 1.50 on my heads
seems like your doing better than me with them the results.:)
do not know if I feel like spending money on my gama heads ... with the port job and so
HotlapAl

Post by HotlapAl »

Look on the 2nd page on this forum for my "427 build" post. I listed my old combo that got me in the 12's in a 70 Monte w/ 3:55 gears. A perfect example of a lil 355 w/ big Dart pro 1 200 heads and a mild xe274 230-236 duration @50/ 490 lift. hyd flat tap cam. Some said it would be soggy down low..no way , no how! This engine was a tire fryer w/ a 3000 converter.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

You might be well served to buy a copy of "How to build Max performance Chevy small blocks on a budget" by David Vizard. Many examples of engine builds with dyno sheets, what to do and not do to make the most power and keep your engine alive. Details on porting and valve train as well as how to pick a cam for your combo.
So much to do, so little time...
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

12.80's at 103mph..i would say that it did not pull hard on the big end..
Here is one for you...ported smogger 305 heads from 1978 with 1.74-1.50 valves with a 230-230 .480".480" on a 110ls it is a 280h comp magnum...flattops 10.2 compression tunnelram with 2 -600 edelbrocks (yes possibly over carbed) 1.5 roller rockers th350 converter that stalls to 2200 and drag radials 456 gears another 355 with stock crank and rods..shift at 6700rpm and ran---
12.51 at 111 91 octane and drove it over 50 miles to the track.daily driver..that is the same 78 nova that runs 11.94's now but it is lighter now...it was factory weight then....this one will send you sideways in 2nd gear at 60mph on the highway if you punch it...not one to let your friends drive :D
you decide how fast you want to go then how much money you want to spend to get there
here is the 78 nova i talk about ..i built for a buddy less than 5,000 bucks in the whole car including purchase price..car was bought for 1200...he was going to run afr 195's but decided that it is quick enough for a daily driver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

rfoll is right ..get a book or 2...here is #2 how to modify and build small block chevy cylinder heads
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

rfoll wrote:You might be well served to buy a copy of "How to build Max performance Chevy small blocks on a budget" by David Vizard. Many examples of engine builds with dyno sheets, what to do and not do to make the most power and keep your engine alive. Details on porting and valve train as well as how to pick a cam for your combo.

yeah I'll definitely buy some sort of engine book. has received great tips on various books.
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

jeff swisher wrote:12.80's at 103mph..i would say that it did not pull hard on the big end..
Here is one for you...ported smogger 305 heads from 1978 with 1.74-1.50 valves with a 230-230 .480".480" on a 110ls it is a 280h comp magnum...flattops 10.2 compression tunnelram with 2 -600 edelbrocks (yes possibly over carbed) 1.5 roller rockers th350 converter that stalls to 2200 and drag radials 456 gears another 355 with stock crank and rods..shift at 6700rpm and ran---
12.51 at 111 91 octane and drove it over 50 miles to the track.daily driver..that is the same 78 nova that runs 11.94's now but it is lighter now...it was factory weight then....this one will send you sideways in 2nd gear at 60mph on the highway if you punch it...not one to let your friends drive :D
you decide how fast you want to go then how much money you want to spend to get there
here is the 78 nova i talk about ..i built for a buddy less than 5,000 bucks in the whole car including purchase price..car was bought for 1200...he was going to run afr 195's but decided that it is quick enough for a daily driver

cool! you seem to have built many engines with good results, at a good price? good that you give suggestions for different combos, much appreciated. I start thinking in other courses when I get different suggestions. will probably buy a pair of aluminum heads type brodix racerite or ik200 and a good cam to start with,
ports you own heads?
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

Yes i port my own heads..build my own tranmissions, engines, rearends, interiors, welding,,etc... NO one touches my stuff except me. and 1 good guy at the machine shop here, if it breaks it is my own fault..I am currently working on another set of 601 casting heads for my truck ..looking for a minimum of low low 11's with a 355 ci with 1.94-1.50 valves and a non roller cam
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

jeff swisher wrote:Yes i port my own heads..build my own tranmissions, engines, rearends, interiors, welding,,etc... NO one touches my stuff except me. and 1 good guy at the machine shop here, if it breaks it is my own fault..I am currently working on another set of 601 casting heads for my truck ..looking for a minimum of low low 11's with a 355 ci with 1.94-1.50 valves and a non roller cam

okay it is impressive.:) Good luck with 355!
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

read this add for a 850 holley ,,, if it were as easy to just put a big carb on ,, then expect big results ,,,, it just doesn't work like that for a mild build ,IMO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holley-H ... ccessories

for those that don't want to click the link ,,, the guy is selling this 850 ,, because it only picked up one tenth over a 670 vs carb ,, and it was running rich ,, on what i expect to be a mild 406
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

levisnteeshirt wrote:read this add for a 850 holley ,,, if it were as easy to just put a big carb on ,, then expect big results ,,,, it just doesn't work like that for a mild build ,IMO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holley-H ... ccessories

for those that don't want to click the link ,,, the guy is selling this 850 ,, because it only picked up one tenth over a 670 vs carb ,, and it was running rich ,, on what i expect to be a mild 406

yes, it did not sound so good. wonder if it was set correctly?
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

some times i dont get how people think...especially when it comes to carbs..I hear this a lot when we run the tunnelram with 1200cfm of carbs,,,They say 1200 cfm is too much to dump down a 350 it cant take that much.....YEA,,it aint dumped down ,,an engine pulls in the air that it is capable of pulling in ,,,it is up to the tuner to get the amount of fuel that mixes with the air right.