chevy 355

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

o1zzon

chevy 355

Post by o1zzon »

Hi am new here on the forum and i come from Sweden. 've read around here on the forum and you seem to be good at your thing. need some help with a new top for my engine .. 've been thinking a bit on reaching top-end pro packs from Edelbrock. but I do not really know what's going to be fine. is looking for a good engine for street driving. 400-450 hp?
them top-end pro packs I have check on are:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-08-0037/
or:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-09-0000/

or I know of a couple of darts II 64cc iron max ported. Completely renovated with new valves, new super-hot springs and titanium retainers.
Weiand Team G single-storey intake, mapper to ends. Drilled (but plugged) for fogger nitrous system
Holley 800 carburetor.
what can suit me best?

this is how my engine out today:

Chevy sb 355 four bolted block 10-1 in compression, balanced crank and rods weighed.
Edelbrock Intake performence + Holley 600, Comp Cam (CCA CL-12-211-2) with 224 dur and 470 lift. Mickey peaks with 1.94 "intake and 1:50" on the exhaust. 64cc. 2.5 "exhaust with x pipe, headers.

gear box 350 th bit modified. TCI converter 2200 stall. TCI flex plate

Someone who has achieved great tips on matching alloy lid to my engine?
island on the proposals and / or improvements.

tanks
/o1zzon
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: chevy 355

Post by rfoll »

Use the Dart heads if the price is right. Edelbrock cams are not as good as the comp magnum you aready have. The performer intake will work better on the street than the single plane. The 600 cfm carb is too small for any serious performance. A bigger carb, at least a 750, and the Dart heads will really wake this up. There is room for more cam at your compression ratio, another 10 or 15 degrees @ .050".
So much to do, so little time...
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24684
Read before you buy an Edelbrock package.
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

rfoll wrote:Use the Dart heads if the price is right. Edelbrock cams are not as good as the comp magnum you aready have. The performer intake will work better on the street than the single plane. The 600 cfm carb is too small for any serious performance. A bigger carb, at least a 750, and the Dart heads will really wake this up. There is room for more cam at your compression ratio, another 10 or 15 degrees @ .050".
what do you think i can pay for a pair of darts II iron heads? intake is port together with heads. yes carburetor must be replaced. do you have any good tips on a very good cam to the heads of the Court. where do i go about in terms of power with them?
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

It appears the Dart II heads and manifold are for sale from someone you know. These heads are an older design from the early '90s if I remember correctly. If ported by someone with some skill, they will be very effective. It is possible the springs can be too stiff for the application you need them for. Let me know what the asking price is and I can give you an opinion. Find out some specifications on the springs. The team G intake is an isolated runner manifold. If you live in a cold climate, the engine will not run very well in winter. You have not mentioned what kind of driving you are going to do with the car. Single plane manifolds really shine at RPMs over 6000. If all you do is drive on the street, it will perform weaker than your Edelbrock performer. You did not mention which Performer you have. The Performer can be matched to the heads as well. For street strip use, your Comp cam is a decent piece. If you want more, you can call Comp Cams and they will recommend something for your application. The heads and carb will give a large boost to your car, It may be enough without changing the cam.
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

rfoll wrote:It appears the Dart II heads and manifold are for sale from someone you know. These heads are an older design from the early '90s if I remember correctly. If ported by someone with some skill, they will be very effective. It is possible the springs can be too stiff for the application you need them for. Let me know what the asking price is and I can give you an opinion. Find out some specifications on the springs. The team G intake is an isolated runner manifold. If you live in a cold climate, the engine will not run very well in winter. You have not mentioned what kind of driving you are going to do with the car. Single plane manifolds really shine at RPMs over 6000. If all you do is drive on the street, it will perform weaker than your Edelbrock performer. You did not mention which Performer you have. The Performer can be matched to the heads as well. For street strip use, your Comp cam is a decent piece. If you want more, you can call Comp Cams and they will recommend something for your application. The heads and carb will give a large boost to your car, It may be enough without changing the cam.
He wants 11 000 Swedish kronor, its 1559 dollar. heads carburetor and intake. they are ported with one who has talent. I just drive the car in the summer not on the wintern. I intend to run the car on the street to begin with anyway and I would like to reach 400-450 hp if possible? I do not really know what intake I have, but they may be able to find something that fits better to the heads. okay so you think that maybe I can run with my cam anyway? there is no risk that the heads are a bit overkill for my engine, then? think it was 215cc runners when heads now that they are ported.
but one 800cmf carburetors ought to extend a bit anyway?
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

Shoot, I'd go with a set of bigger heads, a single plane and a good ol' double pumper about 800 - 900 cfm, annular boosters - you'd make more HP :wink: I'm a big head, small cam believer.

Troy Patterson tmpcarbs.blogspot TMP Carbs TMPCarbs.net
Ron Golden
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Golden »

Do an online search for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine. They did an article about a 10:1, 355 that made 447HP.
Our shop is in the middle of a 10:1, 358 SBC that we're going to use for a dyno mule motor and use to develop a "crate motor" package for sale. We have 2 sets of RHS heads we're going to start with.

Ron
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The prices look pretty good for an over seas deal. Im guessing buying new heads will cost a lot for shipping.
Way better than the Edelbrock packages.
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

rfoll wrote:The prices look pretty good for an over seas deal. Im guessing buying new heads will cost a lot for shipping.
he who has them also live in Sweden. yes it's cheaper than the Edelbrock. but I must have gaskets bolts, etc. to the darts. what do you think about running a 215cc on a street engine?
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

Troy Patterson wrote:Shoot, I'd go with a set of bigger heads, a single plane and a good ol' double pumper about 800 - 900 cfm, annular boosters - you'd make more HP :wink: I'm a big head, small cam believer.

Troy Patterson tmpcarbs.blogspot TMP Carbs TMPCarbs.net
you think I should go for the darts? without changing my current cam? what do you think of 215cc on my engine that street engine? will it be overkill, or will it be fine?
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

Ron Golden wrote:Do an online search for Popular Hot Rodding Magazine. They did an article about a 10:1, 355 that made 447HP.
Our shop is in the middle of a 10:1, 358 SBC that we're going to use for a dyno mule motor and use to develop a "crate motor" package for sale. We have 2 sets of RHS heads we're going to start with.

Ron
rhs is vell nice stuff? =) hope for a lot of power. to take and locate the article.
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

here's more info on the heads:

64cc combustion spaces
2.02/1.6 stainless valves (new)
K-Motion K-1000 springs (new) For roller cam
Manley titanium retainers (new)
Viton seals (new)
7 / 16 ARP studs
Guide Plates also roller cam
o1zzon

Post by o1zzon »

rfoll wrote:The prices look pretty good for an over seas deal. Im guessing buying new heads will cost a lot for shipping.
here's more info on the heads:

64cc combustion spaces
2.02/1.6 stainless valves (new)
K-Motion K-1000 springs (new) For roller cam
Manley titanium retainers (new)
Viton seals (new)
7 / 16 ARP studs
Guide Plates also roller cam
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Solid roller springs on a flat tappet cam can mean death to the parts involved, probably too much spring pressure. I really don't know what street driving means in Sweden. The asking price for the Dart combo looks good, but it might not suit your needs. If you are thinking of spending over $1500 on your engine, maybe something else might work better. I woud look at heads with 190 to 200 cc intake volumes. Buying aluminum doesn't guarantee performance. Dart makes excellent iron heads. The previously mentioned RHS will work well also. If shipping is an issue, the aluminum may save enough money to make up for the additional price. If you save money by using your intake, you can buy a carb elsewhere. Keep your cam. Don't get hung up on trying to achive a specific horsepower number.Design a system that will work well in the rpm range you will use on the street. I went from a 350 HP 350 to 450 HP 406 and both engines would spin the tires endlessly on the street, I could barely tell the difference until I put slicks on it at the track. The Comp cams website has a free software download (cam quest) that will allow you to plug in various combinations to see what effect the have on the power curve. It will recommend a cam based on the usage you select.