steel shim head gaskets.........

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nick Campagna
Pro
Pro
Re: steel shim head gaskets.........

Post by Nick Campagna »

Do the GM steel shim gaskets have a fire ring ??
Is the defect in what I see, or what I'm seeing with ?
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

No, just an embossed ring around the bore. Not a separately-crimped-into-place fire ring like a composition gasket.

There are embossed ridges around all the water passages as well. The gasket material is springy, and the ridges spring-load themselves against the mating surface.

BTW, the GM factory steel shim gaskets won't work with the "light weight" heads, nor with some of the aftermarket heads. The water passages/core holes moved around past the edges of the embossed areas on the gasket.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Will the gasket mentioned from CV products work with those heads?
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

pdq67 wrote:
You can use a fine straight cut triangle file and very gently go from head-bolt hole to head-bolt hole and feel her clean up and become smooth/flat, BUT this is an old "feelie" deal by me!! Works fine once you get the feel down and watch the decks change from rust/cruddy to shiny metal oh so gently.

pdq67
I did that too in my old 67' 283 decks, but used a " rectangular orange stone" (Excuses for lack of a better term. :wink:)instead of file.

After , I used a square section of High speed steel (HSS) bit to check the flatness. No leaks so far! [-o<
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

ap72 wrote:Can I get the part number for those gm shims for 8 bucks? What's the thickness on those?
Fel-Pro #1094 = 4.100" x .015" 3.2cc rubber coated embossed steel
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
Small block guy

Post by Small block guy »

retorque...... retorque..... retorque. pain in the ass, but..... go hard or go home.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Used them years ago on oval track motors.The trouble I had was after 10 races or so they would leak a small amount of pressure in to the water jacket on the power stroke.This would force a little water out, by the end of the race the car would be hot.100 psi on a leakdown tester would not show this leak.I found it by seeing carbon tracking on the gasket.
If you type fast it doesn't seem like a big problem but when your 20 years old,middle of august and don't have much money its a big deal.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Small block guy wrote:retorque...... retorque..... retorque. pain in the ass, but..... go hard or go home.
A couple months ago I started a post about the need of retorque shim heads gaskets...my doubt appeared because the steel have a very small compressibility ,maybe none considerable, compared to a conventional gasket. This is the answer BIGJOE reply:

Steel shim head gaskets DO NOT need to be retorqued-- The steel shim material does not compress, That is wht the GM factory used them for ever.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES

:?: :?:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share