Best Intake Manifold for SBC 18 degree drag race engine?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Re: Best Intake Manifold for SBC 18 degree drag race engine?

Post by FastBuick »

T-flow wrote:Runner length, runner CS, and runner taper. If the intake you are using now is just gasket matched, you have a lot to gain!
All out of the box intakes need work for Max performance. Very few work just good outta the box.....
You should gain a bunch! Good luck

T-flow
I was hoping to hear that. I would hate to spend a bunch of money on a new intake to find out that I didn't gain much at all. Mine is just port matched and the plenum area was basically just sanded to remove some of the roughness in the casting. Nothing major.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer
FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick »

cmracing wrote:Sorry Fastbuick, didn't notice your question to me. What started-off as being a better set of heads on top of his old block snowballed into a new set of heads from Brodix on top of a Iron Eagle block which turned into a 455 SBC. When the engine builder talked to Gaby (spelling?) at Wilson about the heads and intake he said send them to me, they won't work as-is from Brodix on that size engine. Gaby did his thing and the engine made a lot of power and my buddy is having fun. Similar to you, he is turning that baby. I'd have to check with him, but I think he is shifting around 8000 and traps around 8400 or so in good air. Not 100% sure but sounds sweet! Footbraking just like you, no TB or 2-step allowed in our class.
That's really cool. It's nice to see a fellow footbraker building a fast small block. And yes it seems as though every engine project snowballs lol. If you don't mind me asking, how fast has the car gone with that combination? What kind of car is it in?
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer
cmracing

Post by cmracing »

He originally ran it with EFI and went 9.0x at 149+.

Was talked-into putting a carb on it. We had dynoed with both and the carb made more power everywhere.

Well, 3 torque convertors later he finally got back to 9.1's @ 149.

Don't understand why all the problems with the convertors, really strange. Each one had the same mph but the ET was lacking.

It's back to where he wanted it. It's in a 1989 Firebird, about 3300 lbs, TH400, convertor is around 6400rpm.
T-flow
Expert
Expert

Post by T-flow »

Most can use the 2959,2859,2858 these are 3.2sq.in., they are the most common in drag racing. The 2959 or 2859 IMO seem to be
the best, both need alot of work but run really strong on the track.

T-flow
T-flow Cylinder Heads
www.tflowheads.com