The best way to make 450 + Hp in a 351C

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

plovett
Expert
Expert

Re: The best way to make 450 + Hp in a 351C

Post by plovett »

No doubt obtaining 4 bbl heads is much more difficult outside of the USA. I said I wouldn't do any legwork, but I did come across these closed chamber 4bbl heads in an ad.. 1 pair for $180 and another for $250. Unbelievable flow and power potential for the money.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/215649/m ... c+4v+heads

paulie
ford mad 44

Post by ford mad 44 »

Thanks guys. I would like to stay with the 2V heads
love my fords
347guy
Pro
Pro

Post by 347guy »

If you need a CHI head to make 450 on a C' your in trouble from the get go.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

347guy wrote:If you need a CHI head to make 450 on a C' your in trouble from the get go.
Seriously and if you wanted to build a Cleveland with a CHI head, why bother? Just build a SBC or a Windsor!

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.com TMP Carbs
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

ford mad 44 wrote:Thanks guys. I would like to stay with the 2V heads
No problem, do you have open or closed chamber heads?
Craig.
russxr67
Pro
Pro

Post by russxr67 »

Do your homework before spending any money on the 2v's.

Find out what the port work is going to cost for starters. Some basic porting should be in the $500 range. Porting iron is a lot more labourious than alloy.

Fit k/lines to guides

fit new unleaded seats in exhausts( not a necessity but they will last longer)

New one piece single groove valves

Face the heads,etc

You have about $1500 bucks there on a set of heads that are worth zero to sell over here. Now,if you decide to upgrade you may get a few hundred back but essentially they are not worth anywhere near what you have spent.
russxr67
Pro
Pro

Post by russxr67 »

Troy Patterson wrote:
347guy wrote:If you need a CHI head to make 450 on a C' your in trouble from the get go.
Seriously and if you wanted to build a Cleveland with a CHI head, why bother? Just build a SBC or a Windsor!

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.com TMP Carbs

Troy,you need to step into the 21st century mate. Nostalgia is great and all but cylinder head technology has come a fair way since the advent of the 4V.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

russxr67 wrote:

Do your homework before spending any money on the 2v's.

Find out what the port work is going to cost for starters. Some basic porting should be in the $500 range. Porting iron is a lot more labourious than alloy.

Fit k/lines to guides

fit new unleaded seats in exhausts( not a necessity but they will last longer)

New one piece single groove valves

Face the heads,etc

You have about $1500 bucks there on a set of heads that are worth zero to sell over here. Now,if you decide to upgrade you may get a few hundred back but essentially they are not worth anywhere near what you have spent.
What Russ is saying is quite true and take into account that by the time you add to what Russ explained by machining the heads for screw in studs and guide plates ,(if you go this route) then buying the studs and plates aswell you are only going to be 500 dollars short of a set of alloys.

You can do it either way you like, its just a matter of deciding wether you want factory or alloy heads.

You get more wow factor out of getting that power from iron's than getting it out of alloy's.

The alloys are just a 'wipe em down and bolt em on' job as to get 450+, they will do it in out of the box form.

I like iron factory heads just for the reason i like to hear people say, 'wow, you got all that from just that'. Where as some just like to bolt something on , fit all the catalogue bits and make the numbers. hmm, why do I always do things the hard way!? Lol

Anyway, its just a matter of choice, then just going about the task.
Craig.
russxr67
Pro
Pro

Post by russxr67 »

Thanx Craig,it's the same reason I refuse to use a production 351C block on the performance builds I do . Given the availability and pricing of the aftermarket blocks it does not make good economic sense to pour money into a block that is woefully thin in the bores. SHP,all the way from now!.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

russxr67 wrote:Thanx Craig,it's the same reason I refuse to use a production 351C block on the performance builds I do . Given the availability and pricing of the aftermarket blocks it does not make good economic sense to pour money into a block that is woefully thin in the bores. SHP,all the way from now!.
Yes I hear you there! All the clevo stuff is getting old, tired, thrashed, thin, corroded etc etc lol, geez they will be vintage engines soon, running on a stand at the local show grounds or motor show lol,
I really love getting good power out of factory stuff, and thats all well and good when im doing it for myself and doing the labour for myself too, but yes in all practicality and economics it is far better to use the nice new redesigned/reliable bits. Not to mention how easy it is to get hp out of the new stuff!
Craig.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yes I hear you there! All the clevo stuff is getting old, tired, thrashed, thin, corroded etc etc lol, geez they will be vintage engines soon, running on a stand at the local show grounds or motor show lol,
I really love getting good power out of factory stuff, and thats all well and good when im doing it for myself and doing the labour for myself too, but yes in all practicality and economics it is far better to use the nice new redesigned/reliable bits. Not to mention how easy it is to get hp out of the new stuff!

+3, to hell with prepping old iron heads for customer jobs, unless it's a real mild engine it's just not worth the labour & parts $ when compared to a set of off the shelf alloys that'll outperform the old iron anyway, for much the same cost.