DEMON CARBS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Re: DEMON CARBS

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

I wasn't talking about out of the box. I'm talking about working one over. Given the same Venturi and blade size how can you say that a custom Holley will easily make more power.
If you are like 99 % of carb shops that buy there centre sections and metering blocks with you Logo engraved on them and everything else from BLP then I can understand where you are coming from. But if u have the capability of machining any Venturi/ blade combination in house then I think you would have a different outlook on the demon centre sections.

Look at it subjectively. Not from a sales point of view that is what I am saying. If BLP had demon centre sections in all different Venturi programs so that you guys could purchase them then you would have a different opinion I am sure.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

I don't think you can make a blanket statement about the quality of carburetor brands. If you get one that runs good on your combo out of the box then you just got lucky or your standard for a good tune is not very high. Unless you have a carb that has a "mechancal" issue like bad alignment or wrong location of orifices, warpage, etc., it can be tuned to run well. Yes, some have more "tunability" than others via removeable bleeds, boosters, venturis, etc., but that doesn't make them "better", just more versatile. As far as quality control on mass produced carbs, they all have issues at some point. Unless you have a carb custom built and tuned, you should be going through it to check for cleanliness, alignment, and basic settings before running it. You can't expect to just bolt on a carb out of a box and it "run like a dream". The engine doesn't know if it's a Quick Fuel, Holley, Demon, or whatever and it doesn't care. It has to be tuned to give it what it wants. I've run both Holleys and Demons and been happy with both. Each brand has its pros and cons but both can be tuned to run well.
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

First off RJE, I don't believe I said that. If you re-read my first post you'll find that I said that they're fine if you're looking for something that'll look nice and run. If you need more power there's a lot to be had by going in another direction. I would actually agree with you about the 99% of "carb shops". Think of this as the 1%. I'm not into just snapping together parts and calling it a racing carburetor. I've been doing this since the mid 1980's, long even before the HP stuff was available. Back then, it was machined and hand finished. Now it's evolved into taking advantage of the good parts available and using experience and good equipment to offer what other people can't. 1.800 throttle bore 4150's, 1.900 throttle bore 2bbls, E-85, blow through, and the list goes on. Most of the stuff is for oval track, and oftentimes the rules require gauge legal/stock appearing parts. You have the same thing with drag classes. You have to know what you're doing to make power within those rules. This isn't a parts fitting operation, any size venturi and throttle blade combination can be built in house. I know that there's a lot of bollocks out there, but I'm always ready to stand behind any claims I make. To the OP, sorry it got off track.
Last edited by JDR Performance on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

treyrags wrote:I don't think you can make a blanket statement about the quality of carburetor brands. If you get one that runs good on your combo out of the box then you just got lucky or your standard for a good tune is not very high. Unless you have a carb that has a "mechancal" issue like bad alignment or wrong location of orifices, warpage, etc., it can be tuned to run well. Yes, some have more "tunability" than others via removeable bleeds, boosters, venturis, etc., but that doesn't make them "better", just more versatile. As far as quality control on mass produced carbs, they all have issues at some point. Unless you have a carb custom built and tuned, you should be going through it to check for cleanliness, alignment, and basic settings before running it. You can't expect to just bolt on a carb out of a box and it "run like a dream". The engine doesn't know if it's a Quick Fuel, Holley, Demon, or whatever and it doesn't care. It has to be tuned to give it what it wants. I've run both Holleys and Demons and been happy with both. Each brand has its pros and cons but both can be tuned to run well.
Exactly my point. If you're just pulling it out of the box I can tell you that each one of those you mentioned will have some issues that are unique to the brand. They can all be improved if you know what to look for. Consider this too. They're going to have a generic calibration that will be closer on some applications than others. It would be impossible to mass produce something that's spot on for everything.
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

JDR Performance wrote:If you're looking for more, it's NO problem getting more power out of a reworked Holley over the cheap/shiny stuff..
JDR Performance wrote: A custom built Holley will make more power with a better graph if it's done right. The mechanics are the same, but the calibration is not.

You missed my point!!!! and you said it 2 times in 2 different replys . my point was how can you say this without fact.
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

I guess I'm still missing it or you're missing mine. I said that a correctly reworked Holley will make more power than a box stock Demon, and it's a fact. It's been done more times than I can even keep track of.
melsie68
Pro
Pro

Post by melsie68 »

I had used one years ago around the time the Demon was introduced- maybe 2002. I got a 825 Speed Demon and could never get it to operate smoothly or respond as my very old crusty Holley would. It never would idle the same depending on the temperature or how much throttle I gave it. I took apart that carb right away to make adjustments, do whatever was necessary and attempt to understand what the difference actually were from my Holley. I removed the metal shavings from the fuel bowls and metering block thinking "hmm that isn't good after spending $500". I put it back together and did my best to keep it adjusted. After changing air bleeds and drilling holes in the throttle blades, I called the tech line to get some of the same terrific attitude others are describing here. The only good thing I can remember about that phone call was being on hold and getting to listen to the Bob Marley reggae station they had on the line. They told me the carb was too big for my 388cid SBC stroker and I needed a 750 Race Demon. They offered to take my 825 back if I would spend the additional $250 for the Race Demon. Putting my trust in them, I bought it. I recieved the carb and promptly cleaned all the metal shavings from it prior to placing it on the car (I knew better after the first one and didn't want to end up with a sticking float because the needle and seat were not functioning). In the end the carb acted no better than the one I had before. I have had countless friends which have had the same experience. There is a guy who lives down the street from me with one on his very large GMPP crate motor rated at 620hp that won't fall out of a tree. Of course he thinks he has a 9sec car and the carb is very shiny which suits him. But damn I wish he would put some mufflers on that thing because it sounds like a sick dog coming down the road- more like a Harley than a BBC.

Summary: Buy a carb from a performance shop that actually assembles them by hand and dynos them before boxing it up and sending it out the door. You will never look back.
=D>
1968 Camaro, tagged, insured
pump gas LS stroker 404cid
th400, 3.89 gear, drag radial, footbrake
10.110 @ 133.49, 1.455 60'

“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” -E. Hemingway
Jeff Pancher

Post by Jeff Pancher »

I recently purchased a 750 Mighty demon for my 350. I took the old Miniram off and went to an Air Gap with the Demon carb. Picked up several 1/10's in the 1/4 mile, 3" more of vacuum at idle. I am still chasing a slight stumble when transitioning from a slow cruise to uphill (minor throttle movement). All in all, I am happy with it. I am no where near an expert....so maybe that is who these carbs are best for.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Took a demon off and put a 750 Quick fuel on.After we adjuted the bleeds and jets ,and we had tuned the demon also.They where with in 1 or 2 hp everywhere.I think most all the carbs us normal are going to run about the same once you get the bleeds an jetting close.If you can get the guy that builds the carb to come to the dyno and tune you might find some nice gains.