Cam Masters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

moparmat68

Cam Masters

Post by moparmat68 »

Anyone heard of a company called Cam Masters? Are they still around? How would someone go about contacting them? Google let me down. No matching results for "Cam Masters".

They are a distribution warehouse for cam manufactures and have a library of off the shelf grinds as well as specific lobes for custom designs to cater your specific needs.

Thanls in advance!

moparmat.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam Masters

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Was that not a David Vizard company that would for a fee spec the best cam for your application and then recommend the closest matching off the shelf
cam drawing from many Cam makers catalogs?
moparmat68

Post by moparmat68 »

I believe so. Do you know how to get in touch with the company or David himself? Maybe he's a member of the site?
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

No offense but you would get as good info if you posted your combo here and let many of us who know along with UltraDyne Harold (UDHarold) , Mike Jones from Jones Cams and many others give you their knowledge and not just what it should do on paper etc etc etc
W. Tripp
Expert
Expert

Post by W. Tripp »

Motor Machine & Supply in Tucson, Arizona closed a couple of years back.
I am unaware of anyone else using Cam Master software from Mr. Vizard.
http://www.gofastnews.com/showthread.ph ... f-Cam-Guru
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Was that not a David Vizard company that would for a fee spec the best cam for your application and then recommend the closest matching off the shelf cam drawing from many Cam makers catalogs?
Now, that's a flawed business model if I ever saw one.

Been my experience for no charge everyone and his dog will tell you what cam you should be using. And no matter what you choose, the next ten guys in the door will tell you, "No way, man. You shoulda got a CompCams XtremeEnergy; the one from the bottom of the page."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I've used it a few times back in the early 2000's and the business model was, IIRC, $100 bucks to run it and free if you let MM&S have the cam ground for you. From what I saw, an off-the-shelf grind selection would be rare indeed.
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

PackardV8 wrote: And no matter what you choose, the next ten guys in the door will tell you, "No way, man. You shoulda got a CompCams XtremeEnergy; the one from the bottom of the page."
"And a Eldeebrock Performer RPM, and some of those Eldeebrock Aluminieeum heads, and an Eldeebrock carberetor!!" :roll: Packard, just wondering if you know the same parts counter guys I do. Sound familiar?? :lol:
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I want to say that back like in the latter '60's to early '70's and on, G/K made some darn good shelf cams, imho.

pdq67
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

General Kinetics; that's a name I haven't heard in many years! The best of the four cams I tried in my '70½ Z28 was one of theirs..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

falcongeorge wrote:
PackardV8 wrote: And no matter what you choose, the next ten guys in the door will tell you, "No way, man. You shoulda got a CompCams XtremeEnergy; the one from the bottom of the page."
"And a Eldeebrock Performer RPM, and some of those Eldeebrock Aluminieeum heads, and an Eldeebrock carberetor!!" :roll: Packard, just wondering if you know the same parts counter guys I do. Sound familiar?? :lol:
I know so many guys that pronounce it El-de-brock instead of Ed-el-brock... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

MadBill wrote:
falcongeorge wrote:
I know so many guys that pronounce it El-de-brock instead of Ed-el-brock... #-o
Must be a Canadian thing...
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

If you want to find out the real truth about cam selection maybe you should question David directly.
http://www.davidvizardseminars.com/
David Vizard's 'How to Build Horse Power' Seminar
This seminar, sponsored by the University of Northwestern Ohio and Engine Builder Magazine is about finding additional output from high performance and competition engines by dealing with the concepts involve in a way unique to David Vizard. In a word it’s about ‘combinations’.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
maximumbob

Post by maximumbob »

Packard v-8, as a former parts guy, I can't tell you how many guys got sold the parts they asked for and not the parts that would work. What I don't miss at all is "All small blocks are the same, just gimme the parts".
Comp Cams will spec your cam (theirs) with their CamQuest software.
Horsepower doesn't know what name is on the valve covers.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

maximumbob wrote:Packard v-8, as a former parts guy, I can't tell you how many guys got sold the parts they asked for and not the parts that would work. What I don't miss at all is "All small blocks are the same, just gimme the parts".
Comp Cams will spec your cam (theirs) with their CamQuest software.
What does CasmQuest recommend for his Packard or Studebaker engines. :mrgreen:

It only recommends off the shelve cams, which for some is close enough.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV