Best OEM blocks???

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

andyf
Guru
Guru

Re: Best OEM blocks???

Post by andyf »

The BB Mopar block works just fine at 650 hp. The main webs might eventually crack after dozens of WOT runs, but the typical street engine doesn't see WOT very much. The Mopar replacement blocks are fairly priced and the durability goes way up with the cross bolted mains and extra casting material.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

plovett wrote:
F1Fever wrote:
plovett wrote:
As for aftermarket heads, the playing field is roughly equal between BBF and BBC. IMO. :D

JMO,

paulie
I think that's after they put BBC ports on the BBF....
Now you're just being silly. :D

paulie
no, I'm not....

The exhaust ports are where most of the magic is
, as each cylinder head is available with either a raised port "Cobra Jet" port or for maximum power a big block Chevrolet exhaust port is optional.

http://www.cprparts.com/products/heads/ ... under.html
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

There is more than one aftermarket cyl. head out there with the standard BBF exhaust flange that are better than the Blue Thunder heads that were refered to . One example would be the Ford racing parts M-6049-SCJ that Kaase designed . The BT heads do not have a bbc exhaust port...it's an aftermarket port with a bbc bolt pattern.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

I wouldn't say the exhaust port is where the magic happens. You can't overgeneralize too much and have it mean anything useful, but I would say the opposite is closer to the truth. The intake port is where "most of the magic" happens.

The example you gave is of one type of aftermarket BBF cylinder head. Not one of the better ones at that. And the exhaust option is for a BBC exhaust flange with a different exhaust port. It is not a copy of a BBC exhaust port. So it is a not a very meaningful example.

That said, factory BBC's definitely have better exhaust ports than factory 385 series Fords.

paulie
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

JBV Heads listen up guy, Alan Roehrich knows his stuff. Talked to him about selection of BB Chevy Parts. Like he said hes been drag racing for years. He has steered me in the right direction for parts and what to use. No he doesnt like to argue, where did you get that. He is on this forum to help people and that he does very well. Thanks Alan for your knowledge, participation, and telling people what to choose for parts. I have listened and trust me your a guy i go to for good, honest, reliable info.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

This is about the best OEM block.... and i think this post about sums it up...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=56767
We made 1800 at the rear tires with stock 4 bolt block with a half fill. So what ever that equates to at the flywheel with a Lenco is what we made. It also had a RPM 4340 4.250 stroke crank in it. It was a pile. We went 7.12 @ 199 @ 3170 lbs. I don't know what we were thinkin but it was fun......Image
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

you guys will have to take jbv with a grain of salt. i've seen him post on other boards and he is a real mess sometimes. one of those guys that has an opinion on everything and is NEVER wrong.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

sanfordandson wrote:you guys will have to take jbv with a grain of salt. i've seen him post on other boards and he is a real mess sometimes. one of those guys that has an opinion on everything and is NEVER wrong.
I hear ya. It's weird how talking about engines can be like talking about religion sometimes. :roll: :-D

paulie
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

sanfordandson wrote:you guys will have to take jbv with a grain of salt. i've seen him post on other boards and he is a real mess sometimes. one of those guys that has an opinion on everything and is NEVER wrong.
Well, JBV writes strongly at times, but he also has some good advice and his 4cyl work is well known for running really good.

IMHO, we need to cool it, keep it more technical and less emotional.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

I'm not the least bit emotional about this. I'm not the one that flipped out.

The average guy is going to get more for his money from a big block Chevy, especially OEM block and OEM crank based. That's what the original poster asked about. It's not an uncommon question, or combination. And having been through it before, in detail, GM, Ford, and Mopar, I answered his question.

If that were not the case, you wouldn't see 100 Super Comp dragsters or Super Gas cars with big block Chevy engines, and 2-3 Ford or Mopar powered dragsters or cars in every field.

Just go to www.dragracecentral.com, and pull up any qualifying list for Super Street, Super Gas, Super Comp, or Top Dragster. Out of every 100 cars, there are 90 or more big block Chevy powered, and 2-3 each, at best, Ford or Mopar powered. It is true now, and it was true 20 years ago, back when everyone ran an OEM block and maybe a set of Dart or AFR heads.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Are you saying the T/D guys are running production bbc blocks and crankshafts?....sure sounds like it.
270-278-2376
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Lem Evans wrote:Are you saying the T/D guys are running production bbc blocks and crankshafts?....sure sounds like it.
No, I'm not. That's not even close to what I said.

It is true now, and it was true 20 years ago, back when everyone ran an OEM block and maybe a set of Dart or AFR heads.

Note the part about "20 years ago, back when everybody ran an OEM block". Meaning, 20 years ago, when there was no Top Dragster class, Super Comp and Super Gas were populated by big block Chevy powered cars, mostly with OEM blocks. Back then, we were qualifying pretty well in series like the Barnett Super Quick series, with a 468 Chevy, with a 512 casting OEM block, 990 OEM heads, a 7416 forged crank, 7/16" bolt dimple rods, and LS-7 pistons, under either a tunnel ram with two 1150 Dominators on gasoline, or a Crower McCay injector set up on methanol.

No, I never said anything close to "T/D guys are running OEM blocks and cranks". That would be pretty stupid, not to mention both false and foolish.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Getting to recent history....Bunkerhill , In. last nite. Jeg's super quick deal. Like you said.....40 cars showed up only 3 of them bbf..not very good percentage as you said. They qualified 1st, 3rd and 5th. At 8 cars they all were still in the show.....at 4 cars 2 were still in...at 2 cars 1 was still in...the girl that qualified 5th won the whole show...now the percentages are looking better.
My point is that results may be better than percentages.
270-278-2376
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Lem Evans wrote:My point is that results may be better than percentages.
Lets see if anyone can agree with this statement when it comes to winning races.

"Often, when it comes down winning races, it's the best total package. The car, from bumper to bumper, the driver and the crew".
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Keith Morganstein wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:My point is that results may be better than percentages.
Lets see if anyone can agree with this statement when it comes to winning races.

"Often, when it comes down winning races, it's the best total package. The car, from bumper to bumper, the driver and the crew".
Agreed....qualifying at the front is a huge deal but, the driver has to get it done every round.
270-278-2376