Post by wwmtlineman »

I tried the dowels also, forgot to mention that, it was 45 years ago
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Re: 300 I-6 ford performance builds?

Post by Lem Evans »

Alan Roehrich wrote:
Mark Workman wrote:I don't remember hearing any power numbers, but one of the wilder modifications I saw years ago was to section a pair of Boss 302/351 Cleveland heads to fit on the 300 block. I think maybe the late Kay Sissell pioneered this(?). The one example I saw at the track had a very large amount of silicone visible at the joint, but I bet it would be a much easier thing to do today, with the aluminum heads that are out there.

Quite possibly that was Bruce Sizemore's I/G Pinto, running NHRA Modified Eliminator nearly 40 years ago. For a while, he had it painted real similar to Bob Glidden's car. They cut and furnace brazed 351 Cleveland 4V heads for that. It may have even had an exhaust port plate at one point. That was a long time ago, I remember seeing it in the pits and on the track.

Bruce Sizemore
(Login WorldchampGramp)

Sizemore alive & well
January 27 2012, 9:04 PM

Race Fans:

Some of the information posted here about me and my (2) most memorable race cars is incorrect. I am happy to report that I recently touched base with John Russell one of my best racing friends who also was a fellow competitor. John and I both competed in the same class H/MP and our Mavericks were almost identical in terms of power train. We both built, drove and did all the engine building on our own cars and of course these were the “good old days” before delay boxes were ever thought of. John lived in Lebanon Ohio , and I lived in Livonia Michigan. Therefore we were both Division 3 competitors. Some of the “Local” weekend modified $$$ showdowns we both competed in were very very interesting. Back then the track owners would advertise that they were having one of these events say somewhere in Ohio or maybe at Milan MI and all the best racers from all of Division 3 would show up to compete for the top prize of as I recall $500 or $1,000 Big money back in 1972-1974. So this is how John and I became wery close as we were among the outnumbered racing a Ford product against mostly GM or MoPar modifieds & Gassers. I remember one race in KY (Clay City?) which was literally in the boon docks, the weight scale was on a hill and I Damn near fell off a cliff getting out of my car. The guy weighing the cars on this rusty scale couldn’t have guessed within 300 lbs as to what the car actually weighed. He asked me what my minimum weight was, wrote that weight on the front window in white liquid shoe stuff along with 11.70 which was the National ET record at the time. Later I was very near the starting line, ready to make a pass, when a disgruntled driver who had just made a run and didn’t believe his time card returned to the starting area, exited his car with revolver in hand and started sprinting up the stairs of the track timing tower (that’s when I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to win “over the locals”) but as fate would have it I did win and took home the bacon. John Russell as I recall was also at this race and through his son Andy can verify the great times we shared as “Fellow Mavericks in Div 3”. I only read a few posts about my car the one by the guy who stated he lived next door to Frank Pryg is totally inaccurate. However, The Mad Frenchman is spot on with his comments and I was surprised to hear that he was still using some of my parts a few years back I am still searching for my beloved “Preparation H” Maverick so if anyone out there has any info as to this cars whereabouts please PM me with contact information. May the “Christmas Tree” be friendly to you on all your racing endeavors.

Warmest Regards, Bruce Sizemore, Sr.
1975 NHRA World Champion-Modified Eliminator, Ontario Motor Speedway
1978 NHRA US Nationals, Modified Eliminator, Raceway Park, Indianapolis, IN
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376