Chevy 186 head flow questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Chevy 186 head flow questions

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You cannot get that wall perfectly straight before you bust thru into the bolt hole. Once you bust thru you have to drill out the bolt hole and press in a tube sleeve to fix the hole in the port you just made. So you end up with a not straight wall with a tube sleeve sticking out into the port.
So use common sense and quit grinding on that point in the port before you bust thru.

While taking some metal from this area is effective, no need to get carried away. ya got the whole port to do.
On these type chev heads I enlarge the bowl wall just beyond the bolt hole so the flow sort of sweeps bast the bolt hole (reduced, gradual) bulge and into an enlargened bowl. This create port bias and directs/kicks the flow from the bowl into the chamber towards the plug.
Thin the guide boss down a lot on that side to get flow area. You want to enhance the flow bias.
Take the head outside and flow the garden hose thru the intake port on that "Common wall" to see the flow pattern.

Common sense: says Make a good (better than stock) small port stock 170-180cc head out of it. If you want huge flow numbers save your money and start with a big port head that has thick port walls etc. Do not chase a flow number goal just to get a big number. All you will end up with is a thin or cracked/leaky head that you end up trashing sooner rather than later. Make a decent camel hump head out of it as opposed to attempting to get Pro 1 flow numbers. If it doesn't cut the mustard and make a million HP you have a real good street strip head you can sell to someone for a good buck so you can get a better casting to start with.
Nobody is going to buy a camel back head thats been ported out max, leak repaired, epoxed,welded patched up etc etc.
BigBlocksOnTop
Pro
Pro
Re: Chevy 186 head flow questions

Post by BigBlocksOnTop »

chevyracer8262 wrote:What grind cam do you think would do best with that fuel and comp? I'm trying to lower the comp as much as I can with thicker head gaskets and laying back the chamber as much as i can.
Compression a little high......Google: Somender groove and do some reading. He was awarded a US patent for his invention.I'm going to try it on a high compression pump gas motor.