400 SBC heads and cam recommendation

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: 400 SBC heads and cam recommendation

Post by af2 »

bigcam406 wrote:the engine in the article has a different bore and stroke compared to your 400.different heads as well.the cam you purchased will work fine for your application,but it is not optimal.
That is what I am saying.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Winston Wolf wrote:I bit the bullet and ordered a Lunati Solid Roller Cam. Voodoo 60133 Duration 279/285, 249/255@.050 Lift .585/.600

I did see one test of it in a smallblock where is made 537hp

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... index.html

I guess we will see how it ET's and dial stuff back if necessary.
Did Lunati happen to have a PAID ad in the same magazine as the test?

Randy
Winston Wolf

Post by Winston Wolf »

[/quote]

Did Lunati happen to have a PAID ad in the same magazine as the test?

Randy[/quote]

They may have. I didn't read the magazine. But it was one of the cams Lunati recommended to me, so I looked for some combos that used it after that fact.

I ordered a standard base circle, and I'm second guessing if it will fit with my 6" rods. We will find out.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

I would just get what you have ported and have different springs installed, along with that get a solid flat tappet cam with face oiling lifters. IMO its the best bang for the buck route and will get you to your 11.50's.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
bigcam406
Pro
Pro

Post by bigcam406 »

too late,he already bought the heads and cam
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Winston Wolf wrote:I bit the bullet and ordered a Lunati Solid Roller Cam. Voodoo 60133 Duration 279/285, 249/255@.050 Lift .585/.600
You'll be happy with that cam.
It's a little short on duration, but it should launch great.
If you can, get some 1.6 or 1,65 rockers for the intakes.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Winston Wolf

Post by Winston Wolf »

ap72 wrote:I would just get what you have ported and have different springs installed, along with that get a solid flat tappet cam with face oiling lifters. IMO its the best bang for the buck route and will get you to your 11.50's.
I practically lost sleep debating on doing what you are saying. The problem with the Twisted wedge heads is I am about cam maxed out with my pistons and the way the rotated 13 deg intake valve comes down into the bore. Plus with the short valves they use, my installed height is 1.7" with a 1.25" spring. I would really have to cut for bigger springs, install new valve guides (uses a touch of oil, trick flow problem), and still do the porting on a 180cc head. It just didn't make sense moneywise, when you can get new, bigger, cnc ported ones for $1500. Plus now I am lowering my compression a point to 10.4 so I should be able to run on pump gas most of the time.

I was seriously going to buy a set of Pro-Filers, but never got a call back from then or the dealer, so I went with AFR's I could get right away.

With the head swap and needing to change converters (and pull the trans pump to do the pressure relief tube), it was easier to pull the engine than just the tranny (original plan)...and once the engine is out, may as well switch cams right away since you can get at the oilpan.... and since I have the heads now, may as well spend the extra 400 on a roller setup and not have to change springs and not have to take it apart again in the next year.

Like I said, the only concern I have now is the rods hitting the cam. I've heard good and bad about the H beam rods I have, so we will see when I get to assembly.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Winston Wolf wrote:
ap72 wrote:I would just get what you have ported and have different springs installed, along with that get a solid flat tappet cam with face oiling lifters. IMO its the best bang for the buck route and will get you to your 11.50's.
I practically lost sleep debating on doing what you are saying. The problem with the Twisted wedge heads is I am about cam maxed out with my pistons and the way the rotated 13 deg intake valve comes down into the bore. Plus with the short valves they use, my installed height is 1.7" with a 1.25" spring. I would really have to cut for bigger springs, install new valve guides (uses a touch of oil, trick flow problem), and still do the porting on a 180cc head. It just didn't make sense moneywise, when you can get new, bigger, cnc ported ones for $1500. Plus now I am lowering my compression a point to 10.4 so I should be able to run on pump gas most of the time.

I was seriously going to buy a set of Pro-Filers, but never got a call back from then or the dealer, so I went with AFR's I could get right away.

With the head swap and needing to change converters (and pull the trans pump to do the pressure relief tube), it was easier to pull the engine than just the tranny (original plan)...and once the engine is out, may as well switch cams right away since you can get at the oilpan.... and since I have the heads now, may as well spend the extra 400 on a roller setup and not have to change springs and not have to take it apart again in the next year.

Like I said, the only concern I have now is the rods hitting the cam. I've heard good and bad about the H beam rods I have, so we will see when I get to assembly.
I'm on board with your reasoning and it sounds like it should end up being a real runner, I was just suggesting what I thought the cheapest way to 11.5's was with what you have now. After you add in the cost of guides it doesn't look like it would save much over the AFR's though. Those TF heads are still pretty decent heads that done up right could get someone in the low 11's with no problem- hopefully they find a good home.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
bigcam406
Pro
Pro

Post by bigcam406 »

11's shouldnt be a problem now.keep us posted on your progress and results. :)
Winston Wolf

Post by Winston Wolf »

Got the cam in and didn't have any clearance problems at all. Kind of surprised, I was so paranoid I checked it for about 2 hours on friday night. Degreed cam and had to retard it 3 notches on the Hex-adjust. Proves you can't trust the dots, it was off around 5 degrees to start. Heads are on, pushrods measured. 8.050". I'll get them here by wed and should have it back in the car and running by saturday. I have dyno testing scheduled for the 13th so we can see the difference these heads+roller cam will make....I'm excited to see.
Winston Wolf

Post by Winston Wolf »

The best I was able to muster out of the setup this year was an 11.54 at 118.66 with a 1.685 60ft. It usually runs around 11.64 at 117-118. (car weighs 3650 without driver)

I've been shifting it at 6500 and trapping at 6700. I think now I should have went with a bit bigger cam. It's well on the downslope at those rpms. I want to run an 11.50 index class next year, but it needs a little more smoke.

Any ideas? I already switched to a single plane. I'm running 4.56 gears and would like to keep them.
Tokyo Torquer
Pro
Pro

Post by Tokyo Torquer »

so I assume you changed the cam but not the heads? You were never clear on what heads you were going to buy so I assume you didn't. If you didn't buy new heads, you should not be thinking of an even bigger cam, just the better heads.

mike
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050-.523/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

Winston Wolf wrote:The best I was able to muster out of the setup this year was an 11.54 at 118.66 with a 1.685 60ft. It usually runs around 11.64 at 117-118. (car weighs 3650 without driver)

I've been shifting it at 6500 and trapping at 6700. I think now I should have went with a bit bigger cam. It's well on the downslope at those rpms. I want to run an 11.50 index class next year, but it needs a little more smoke.

Any ideas? I already switched to a single plane. I'm running 4.56 gears and would like to keep them.
What single plane? Out of the box??

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
Winston Wolf

Post by Winston Wolf »

I went with a AFR 210 Eliminator Race head, 75cc to back the compression down to 10.4 With the 63cc Twisted Wedge heads I was getting detonation without race gas.

The intake is a 2925 Super Victor I ported myself. I had an Airgap on it for a bit, discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26255