max fuel pressure w/holley? tried 18 psi, got it to work

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

max fuel pressure w/holley? tried 18 psi, got it to work

Post by Matt Gruber »

made some mods and it works w/ 18 psi. but i chickened out and went back to 5-6 psi. Anyone think 18 is safe? anyone go HIGHER? How high?
tame a lumpy cam for the street, more street torque! see my article, archived in the waybackmachine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707064 ... TGRU/carb/
Great manners equals more fun.
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Re: max fuel pressure w/holley? tried 18 psi, got it to work

Post by hondo383 »

why?
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

hondo383 wrote:why?
why do they sell pumps over 6 psi?
why do many new cars w/EFI use 40-45 psi?
tame a lumpy cam for the street, more street torque! see my article, archived in the waybackmachine.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

very odd you bring this up, we were just discussing this yesterday for a turbo app....
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

F1Fever wrote:very odd you bring this up, we were just discussing this yesterday for a turbo app....
would be easy to run up to ~14 psi boost w/blow thru if the carb can take 18.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Matt Gruber wrote:
why do many new cars w/EFI use 40-45 psi?
In your carb you are just filling the bowl. If 6 or 7 psi does the job why have the needle and seat work with more pressure then is needed.

The EFI is designed for a spray patter and the higher fuel pressure increases flow rating. So use as high as 3.75 - 4 bars.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

Stan Weiss wrote:
Matt Gruber wrote:
In your carb you are just filling the bowl. If 6 or 7 psi does the job why have the needle and seat work with more pressure then is needed.

Stan
Exactly! THAT is why i went back to my old fuel pump.
But, there appears to be guys that might NEED that capacity, like with a blower.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

Hulley carbs are designed for 6 psi===what are you trying to prove ??

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Matt Gruber
Guru
Guru

Post by Matt Gruber »

bigjoe1 wrote:Hulley carbs are designed for 6 psi===what are you trying to prove ??

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Joe
i bought a carter fuel pump at a swap meet. it was the exact same model i was using for 10 years. it flooded and i thought it must be 1 or 2 psi higher than my old pump. so i fixed the carb so it didn't flood. then i got to thinking, "i better check the psi" so i put my gauge on and it pegs it. so i dug up a higher gauge and it was 18! so i put my 10 yr old pump back on.
So, i posted it here in case it might be an interesting topic for racers. i'm afraid to use it, but, maybe i'll learn something.
Thanks for asking! I enjoy reading your posts! You have an amazing amount of experience!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

people who think more pressure is better are wrong=== I know for a fact that some Prostock racers only run 3,5 to 4.0 pounds on a 1460 horsepower engine= If it seems like more pressure is better , there is something else VERY WRONG

JOE SHERMAN RACING
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

When running as blow thru you need to remember that the fuel inlet pressure may be higher than 4-6psi BUT this pressure will be relative to the boost pressure that is inside the fuel bowl. IE- if you run 10psi boost in blow thru form then to maintain a relative fuel pressure of say 6psi you need 16psi in the fuel line. In this instance the needle and seat only sees this ar 6psi ( the difference between bowl pressure(from boost) and fuel inlet pressure.)

As Joe says, too much pressure is not so good with a carb. The more pressure thru the needle and seat, the more fuel foaming/airation will occur which is BAD for maintaining an accurate feel curve. If you cant get enough fuel flow in there with 5psi in the line, then you need to rework the fuel system to flow more fuel at 5psi.
Craig.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

More PSI means easier to leak fuel 8) Only "benefit" I can think of, lol.
R.Olds
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Olds »

Matt Gruber wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:Hulley carbs are designed for 6 psi===what are you trying to prove ??

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Joe
i bought a carter fuel pump at a swap meet. it was the exact same model i was using for 10 years. it flooded and i thought it must be 1 or 2 psi higher than my old pump. so i fixed the carb so it didn't flood. then i got to thinking, "i better check the psi" so i put my gauge on and it pegs it. so i dug up a higher gauge and it was 18! so i put my 10 yr old pump back on.
So, i posted it here in case it might be an interesting topic for racers. i'm afraid to use it, but, maybe i'll learn something.
Thanks for asking! I enjoy reading your posts! You have an amazing amount of experience!
The self regulated Carters are total junk, I have seen a dozen in the last year that did not work as advertised,. pressures from 2 psi to 16 psi, and never consistant. Now I use the non regulated Carters with seperate regulator.

Rick
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

R.Olds wrote:
Matt Gruber wrote:

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Joe
The self regulated Carters are total junk, I have seen a dozen in the last year that did not work as advertised,. pressures from 2 psi to 16 psi, and never consistant. Now I use the non regulated Carters with seperate regulator.

Rick

I've a carter mechanical hi volume pump(CRT-M6624) in my SBC and it varies the pressure all the way from 4 to 16 psi #-o ...

With the engine hot the pressure is aways low...I thought that it had a vapor lock problem or something...

Now this tread help me put the guilt on my pump! :mrgreen:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

cjperformance wrote:When running as blow thru you need to remember that the fuel inlet pressure may be higher than 4-6psi BUT this pressure will be relative to the boost pressure that is inside the fuel bowl. IE- if you run 10psi boost in blow thru form then to maintain a relative fuel pressure of say 6psi you need 16psi in the fuel line. In this instance the needle and seat only sees this ar 6psi ( the difference between bowl pressure(from boost) and fuel inlet pressure.)

As Joe says, too much pressure is not so good with a carb. The more pressure thru the needle and seat, the more fuel foaming/airation will occur which is BAD for maintaining an accurate feel curve. If you cant get enough fuel flow in there with 5psi in the line, then you need to rework the fuel system to flow more fuel at 5psi.
Shouldn't this be done with a boost reference regulator and not running the higher pressure all of the time?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV