pro-comp heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F1Fever
Guru
Guru

pro-comp heads

Post by F1Fever »

I hear stories from one end of the net to the other ... but have yet to see a crappy set of HEADS in person.
would anybody mind posting pics of pro-comp head issues please.
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: pro-comp heads

Post by bigjoe1 »

This is not exactly what you asked for, but here it is anyway.. Yesterday a guy brings me a SB Chevy head to flow test- It is a Pro Comp 220 CC runner that has been prifessionally ported= The flow was just so=so= I do not have the exact numbers in front of me, but the intake got up to 292 at 700, the ex was right at 200 at 700= They looked real nice but he did not know who much the owner paid for the port work= I guess what I am saying here is that if you but the cheapo heads, you better get them ported or they will be pretty weak

JOE SHERMAN RACING
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

I do not have much experience with them but have seen the published flow numbers for SBC's... and it looks like they have 2 advantages over vortec heads, aluminum and max lift.
During the past week I have seen two sets of brand new heads, a set of AFR 227 elim's .. absolutely awesome looking heads, the swirl in the bowl was a little odd looking but must work. i also saw a set of world windsor Sr heads, the casting looked like crap, bad parting lines in the exhaust ports, seats leaving a large lip on both the intake and exhaust ports, oil drain back holes half covered by casting flash and a poor attempt at removal by somebody.

I have only seen two sets of pro-comps in person in my life, both, from a visual perspective, looked like decent castings, smooth finish, no parting lines (although the BBC version had a poor looking pushrod pinch).

So I was kinda looking for some pictures of these "poor castings" the procomps have, or even pics of poor port design.
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

5 years ago they put out heads and didn't have the machining worked out. They took a beating for it and deserved it. But now they are a good street head and Saturday night special type of head. The 210 SBC head will support 550 hp out of the box. A little secret is the throat and seat area can give you 5-10% improvement from a professional porter. The stock intakes and exhaust valves are cut on the inside of the valve seat area. Move it to the outside and machine the throat to match and you can make 600 hp with them. Are they a top of the line head, no. But they are thousands less and for all but class racers, contingency award classes, or show classes, pretty darn good. You also have the money to complete the project. I view them as the best HP for the money in heads. But I also only view them as a slightly better than middle of the road HP head. Good luck,

Joe
Mpcoluv
Pro
Pro

Post by Mpcoluv »

I have a set of the 351C heads that Pro-Comp makes.
The valve seats are recessed quite a bit which will hurt flow quite a bit.
The casting seems OK, but the machining is not up to par.
To send out a few sets on heads with recessed valve seats is understandable.
To send out the same problem over and over is pretty unforgivable.
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

MP,

for my own records, may I ask when they came out, or when you bought them. We've seen them a lot lately and they all had raised valves. I'm trying to find the time frame that something was changed. Thanks,

Joe
Mpcoluv
Pro
Pro

Post by Mpcoluv »

Maybe 2 1/2 years ago?
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

Thanks,

Joe
frankdorn

Post by frankdorn »

out of box
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frankdorn

Post by frankdorn »

out of box
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

have you got a picture of the PN on the head?
West Siloam Dispensary
JohnnyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnnyB »

frankdorn wrote:out of box
Thats some fuggly looking stuff. Is that one photo considered pushrod pinch, or a friggin door ?
If life was easy I would be bored. My EX-Wife has assured me I will never be bored.
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

Yep, looks like the early heads. Haven't seen any like that in the last 2 years though. Like I said, 5 years ago they really messed up and they have been paying for it ever since. That intake looks like the old stock replacement head, not the 210 intake. Which head is that? Thanks,

Joe
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

A set I sold 2 weeks ago that I didn't need.

Pretty good casting from what I see.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro

Post by JBV-HEADS »

AF2,

that's what we see.

Frank,

Looking at that 2nd photo and it looks more like an old GM head. What is the casting on that one?

Joe