Best sbc exhaust manifold?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

3V Performance
Vendor

Re: Best sbc exhaust manifold?

Post by 3V Performance »

catbox wrote:we dyno tested about every sbc stock exhaust manifold available on a 355, 9-1, 2 barrell stock cast intake w/modified plenum and port matched ,2-G sean smith carb, 455 lift cam, steel crank, forged piston, 2 into 1 exhaust set up on a limited motor a couple years ago,..these were the exhaust manifolds we tested,..LT1, rams horn 2 1/2, truck log, 90's camaro over the port manifolds, tube type 1 ton truck manifolds,...

the tube 1 ton truck manifolds were the best with the LT1 & rams horn about the same,...everything else was way off the mark,...our conclusion as to why the LT1 worked as well as the 2 1/4 rams horns was the design,...and both the LT1''s and the rams horns had alot more torque from 3500-6000 rpm than the tube truck manifolds,..from 5500 on to a max of 6700 the large tube truck manifolds were superior...

340 hp max @ 5500 rpm

the tests were done with 3 different rochester 2-g carbs as well,..so every manifold had at least 3 runs..

so maybe flow isnt everything?...considering the very restricted motor we tested them on it seems to be the case..

Key here is your testing was on a 340hp 5500 rpm engine. My stuff was a 390-400hp 420-440-tq and 6600 rpm engine with 2101 intake and a 4412 carb, 450 lift hyd cam 10to1 comp. The more power and higher up you rev it the more it will show up.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
blue88

Post by blue88 »

So, on a 2bbl restricted 9.1 motor.. open chamber heads... full restrictive exhaust... the LT1 manifolds might be just fine...
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

Based on catbox testing with 340 hp max @ 5500 rpm or less I would say yes. More then that no.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

Any new findings on this subject? I just bought a set of vortec truck manifolds and found the outlets very small in them... like 2"... I was very surpried since I thought the vortecs made good power....

Which LT1 manifolds were tested? The center dump corvette, or Caprice style?
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

how about the 80's style corvette manifolds?
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... eader1.jpg
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I looked into making some better flowing manifolds but found that the castings would be expensive to make about $200 a pair and I am not sure about market for them, I just don't know the market.

This is the design I came up with. These are the cores that form the inside of the manifolds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SchmidtMotorWorks on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

And right side, if anyone is interested in making them, I can help you get started as my to-do list is already too long for two life-times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
rick7343

Post by rick7343 »

F1Fever wrote:how about the 80's style corvette manifolds?
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu33 ... eader1.jpg

They won't fit with the engine in stock position and have outlets that are too big for most rules now for circle track...

They do look awesome though!
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:I looked into making some better flowing manifolds but found that the castings would be expensive to make about $200 a pair and I am not sure about market for them, I just don't know the market.

This is the design I came up with. These are the cores that form the inside of the manifolds.
There is a market for them, and if they are only $200 a set, that would be cheap if they outflow the current OEM log, and would pass tech... My modified log manifolds sell from $300 to $600 depending on what work I do to them, and I have sold a bunch of sets over the years. Mostly the $600 sets.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Schmidt;

Those look gorgeous.

@ Brian W:

Note that he said $200 a set to make; this may or may not include the patterns, coreboxes, prototypes, machining and packaging to actually have them for retail sale.

Patterns/tooling can get quite expensive, and its hard to find an iron foundry here in the States, or places willing to machine them. I suspect Schmidt is more than well equipped to handle this, I'm only mentioning it to provide some 'behind-the-scenes' info. Further, if you had them cast overseas and machined here, it would cost less, you would just have to be willing to insist on controlling the prints and holding the casting house to said requirements. This may involve rejecting a whole shipment to get your point across
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

There is at least one more aftermarket cast iron header on the market(Sanderson), which is a street rod oriented center dump. I don't doubt that anything Schmidt designed would be superior but I do doubt there's a viable market in Saturday night racing. The OEM requirement is too widespread.
beaker60

Post by beaker60 »

Hey Bud,,I don't know if these will work or not,,it doesn't list the port sizes,,however,,there is an ebay store:,,{metheny motors},,that have a set of truck headers that might work,,the ad# is 260993456775,,and they seem real reasonable as far as price,,,again,,if these don't fit the bill,,just ignore me,,but from what you were saying about the rules,,they look decent.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Therewas an other thread here regarding stock exhaust manifolds that were from a late modle Buick with a sm blk
and they have a shield on them but when the shield was removed it revealed an excellent looking manifold that I am sure would out perform a log style manifold.
Maybe some one will remember the thread and chime in here
I did locate these and use them on an engine for circle track use and the perfomed very well
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Yes thats the one. tested them on a street stock and they work quiet well.
The tech guy was confused as to the origin and stated they were an HP aftermarket replacement and I had to produce the wrecking yard hollander interchange number for the tech guy to confirm this himself.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors