Homemade hot tank solution??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Grits & Gravy

Homemade hot tank solution??

Post by Grits & Gravy »

A friend of mine made himself a really nice homemeade hot tank too clean cylinder heads, it's basically just a heated vat for immersion and has some sort of agitation setup that is intended for a chrome tank.

He wants too know what soution would be best for cleaning iron and aluminum heads, or two different solutions for iron or aluminum??

He's not worried about making it clean fast, just that it cleans well.

Any help appreciated.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Homemade hot tank solution??

Post by ProPower engines »

Depending on the temp of the tank the chemicals used in spray wash er would do a good job.
I run my tanks at 190deg and both clean well but use different stuff in each.
You could use a mild Oakite solution but it may discolour aluminum if left a long time.
Saftey Clean has a liquid soap for spray washers that does a good job as well.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Grits & Gravy wrote:A friend of mine made himself a really nice homemeade hot tank too clean cylinder heads, it's basically just a heated vat for immersion and has some sort of agitation setup that is intended for a chrome tank.

He wants too know what soution would be best for cleaning iron and aluminum heads, or two different solutions for iron or aluminum??

He's not worried about making it clean fast, just that it cleans well.

Any help appreciated.

Just get the real stuff. Available online from silver seal. (and others)

Order online or I can order it for you (WD).

http://www.silver-seal.com/category/sho ... _cleaners/

Citrus Soak for Hot Tank Cleaners (50 Lb. Pail) - CH30814
50 Lb. Pail of Citrus Soak for use with Hot Tank Cleaners. For all metals, 140 degree F. temperature range, mix 2-10 oz. per gallon of water.Designed to clean aluminum and ferrous metal parts. Blend of natural solvents and detergents. Performs heavy duty cleaning without using hazardous and caustic alkali cleaners. Removes oil, grease, most paints, and light carbon deposits. Mix concentration depending upon degree of soiled parts. Slight citrus odor. Use [[pH Neutralizer]:product=CH30011] as ... $107.00
View Details / Add To Cart

Hurricane Blue for Hot Tank Cleaners (24 Lb. Pail) - CHHB24
24 Lb. Pail of Hurricane Blue for use with Hot Tank Cleaners. For all metals, 100-160 degree F. temperature range, mix varies, start with 4 lbs. per 10 gallons of water.A specially formulated biodegradable detergent cleaner that dissolves grease, dirt, oil, and most paints. Unlike "Cold" type solvent cleaners, which becomes contaminated, Hurricane Blue removes dirt and oil by settling to the bottom of the tank which keeps the solution clean! With normal use, it's non-harmful to hands, non-haz... $54.35

Hurricane Blue for Hot Tank Cleaners (50 Lb. Pail) - CHHB50
50 Lb. Pail of Hurricane Blue for use with Hot Tank Cleaners. For all metals, 100-160 degree F. temperature range, mix varies, start with 4 lbs. per 10 gallons of water.A specially formulated biodegradable detergent cleaner that dissolves grease, dirt, oil, and most paints. Unlike "Cold" type solvent cleaners, which becomes contaminated, Hurricane Blue removes dirt and oil by settling to the bottom of the tank which keeps the solution clean! With normal use, it's non-harmful to hands, non-haz... $96.50
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

I put some pistons that had been in a garage flood in the hot tank we have at work...it is 144 deg and the soap /water solution from our power spray booth...don't know what it is but it is green and I think it has a rust inhibitor...It cleaned well but left litle black spots all over the pistons...not sure what that was,.
THIS completely truthfull and accurate account of my horrible experience with a well known wheel company and their pitiful product, is only my opinion.
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6441
LJW

Post by LJW »

What is the best hot tank concoction for removing carbon deposits? I'd like to make a homemade hot tank for cleaning the inside of 2-Stroke expansion chamber exhaust pipes.

Larry