Herbert cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Herbert cam

Post by cjperformance »

Its turned into a rather interesting history lesson here! i like it.
Craig.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

I had one of Chet's #40's. At split overlap, the intake closed at 70* BTDC, the exhaust opened at 70* ATDC. Seat timing. It won a national event in BB Fuel Dragster. Was the most asymmetrical cam lobe I've ever seen. Chet also made some aluminum roller lifters that went with it that weighed right at 50 grams. I think the lift was about .525". As I remember he recommended running it retarded, but can't recall how much. Also want to add this; I checked some of his cams and they were some of the most accurate I've ever checked. They may not have worked, but were accurately made. That was back in the 60's.

Racer Brown made some very high lift cams for the times back in the 60's. No matter what engine or car you had, Racer's suggested roller was almost always a "66-R". I never did find out what that was.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I ran the Racer Brown 66-R in my 327 Chevy that had the very first Edelbrock Tunnel Ram manifold=It was 272 at 050 and had a 373 lobe lift== With stock 327 steel rods that were beam polished and shot peened, that engine would rev to 10,500 RPM with out valve float= As a test, I ran it through the quarter mile in third gear with 5.57 rear end gears- My tach went off the end of the dial at 10000 RPm== It only slowed down less than a half MPH from normal ( 8300-8400 )I might have had a Racer Brown 72 -R, but I cant remember now= The good old days==

JOE SHERMAN RACING
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

No, I didn't make that trip. In '62, Bobby was still coming up and couldn't pay even expenses for more than one crewman.

In the early '60s, Bobby raced Thursday night at Huntsville, AL, Friday night at Midfield, AL, Saturday night at Montgomery, AL and Sunday afternoon at Birmingham, AL. That made for very little sleep. If he broke or wrecked, then no sleep.

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

moparian wrote:i had a roller cam done by rubin racing cams which he works for chet herbit speed shop doing there cams these days the cam is 050 270.2/277.1 .200 is 189.5 /194.6 lobe is 450/420 adv .020 304/312 these lobes are not slow or super fast but getting up there should be reliable at the least.
Hi, I think you mentioned you had an old Herbert book? Please let me know. Thanks.
Craig.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

I had a Herbert #40 roller, .525" lift, over 300 degrees @.050" on a 109 LDA. As I recall, the intake closed at 70* BTDC, and the exhaust started opening at 70* ATDC. (At split overlap.) The cam had no nose, but a steep opening flank that ended in a small radius, and that turned into a rounded slow closing. The roller lifters were hard anodized aluminum bodies that weighed 50 Grams. Chet claimed it would work with 180# seat load. A friend gave the cam to me. It came out of Jim Harnsberger's BB/Fuel dragster that won the Nationals sometime in the mid 60's. Was the strangest looking cam I had ever seen. Something in the back of my memory says Jim told me they ran that cam 8 degrees retarded. Could that be?
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken