Rottler HP 6 cyl. hone

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

promachine
Pro
Pro

Rottler HP 6 cyl. hone

Post by promachine »

Is anyone else having any problems in cold weather with one of these? I think my air lines are freezing. The hone will dwell intermitently at the bottom. I just put new seals in the air cyl. as per what Rottler told me to do but after a couple of blocks it is doing it again. I think the cold air from the compresor being outside is making the seals in the air cyl. to hard for it to change directions quickly like it should.
I just moved my air compresor out side a few days ago, maybe a mistake?
h.p. peddler
bubbabbc
Pro
Pro
Post by bubbabbc »

When my HP3 did that, it was moisture in the air supply.
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

Moisture would be my guess as well.
Joe Stalnaker
WV
fastvette
Expert
Expert

Post by fastvette »

Is your machine an older one? Does it use antifreeze in the hydraulic system? They now use a light hydraulic oil in them. I have not switched mine yet, but plan to. I have eratic stroke once in a great while and think that is why they switched from the antifreeze to the oil. I think air can get in the antifreeze somehow. Rotler has a procedure for changing over.
I have it some where if you need it.

Randy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

Interesting, This is a HP6A , its only 4 years old and uses a anti freeze and distilled water mix. The air is clean but cold. I will be playing with it today and will post what I get.
h.p. peddler
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

If you think its a freeze issue.......there's nothing like a little denatured alcohol to solve that.
Joe Stalnaker
WV
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

Well, we tryed heating up the cyl. and it still has a problem. Rottler cant tell me what it is, they just want me to start buying parts and change them untill the problem goes away. Sounds like joes garage to me.
I got ahold of Jeff Mercheson from Hopper in So. Ca. and he has worked on maney of these and has given me some diognistic help. We have switched the upper and lower air valves to see if the problem switches with them. If it does, then I will know wich peices to buy rather than just start buying all the stuff I dont need. I hope its not a circut board, or a driver, they are vary expensive. I had to buy one for my f67a last year at around 2 grand! We will fire it back up in the morning and see what we get, I hope we can get her back up and working right soon as work is starting to pile up.
h.p. peddler
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

Update-allmost 3 weeks later and 3000.oo worth of new circut boards from rottler I still have the same problem. Not really happy with customer suport right now. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
h.p. peddler
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Rottler HP 6 cyl. hone

Post by af2 »

promachine wrote:
I just moved my air compresor out side a few days ago, maybe a mistake?
Always go back before you shell out. Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

promachine wrote: I just moved my air compresor out side a few days ago, maybe a mistake?

Was it acting up before you moved the compressor outside?

Tom
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

The air coming in is dry and we have tryed heating it up so the air cyl. does't ice up and no help.
This morning we reset the switches and checked all the connections and still no help.
Still looking for more ideas. Thanks!
h.p. peddler
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

promachine wrote:The air coming in is dry and we have tryed heating it up so the air cyl. does't ice up and no help.
This morning we reset the switches and checked all the connections and still no help.
Still looking for more ideas. Thanks!
Are you avoiding the Q??? :shock:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

If the Q is , did it act up before I moved the compresor, yes, but only slightly a few months ago. At first I thought it was somthing to do with the cold air, and I am still not totaly sure, but after warming up the air and making sure that it was dry I have moved on to other things to look at. Not that I have forgoten about it , but I am sort of satisfyed that its not because of the compresor move. Thanks for thinking!!!
h.p. peddler
promachine
Pro
Pro

Post by promachine »

Update, 5 weeks into this and Rottler has sent me one of their demo hones. Hooked up yesterday and honed 3 blocks with no problem. So much for the air supply debate. So I shipped them my hone back so they can fix it and I can use the demo in the meantime. That was nice of them. All they will charge me is the repair of my hone and I of coarse will have to pay the shipping.
h.p. peddler
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Too bad they could not get a customer Rep to repair it on site.
Seems fair they sent you a loaner during the interm but if it's a newer machine they should have been able to do something at your shop.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors