Howards Ultimate vs Manley H Beam BBC rods?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bigblockwagon
Howards Ultimate vs Manley H Beam BBC rods?

Post by bigblockwagon »

I am building a new 461 bbc short block and would like to use steel rods. Trying to stay away from the chinese stuff, and still stay under $1000 for a set of 8. Stroke is 4.00, max rpm will be 8000, Naturally aspirated, around 750 hp. I've been using factory LS 6 7/16 rods and 2307 Speed Pro pistons to 7800 with no failures, but would like to use a longer rod to lighten up the pistons. Howards rods claim to be US made and are pretty light (762 g) . Manley H beams Heavier (823 g) and I'm not sure of the origin, but seem to be more popular.

Thanks, Scott
prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

Look at the Compstar line by Callies also. Seems to be great quality for a reasonable price.
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

Just an FYI. Manley H-beams are made in china also.

Frank
bigblockwagon
Post by bigblockwagon »

PWMAX wrote:Just an FYI. Manley H-beams are made in china also.

Frank
I suspected they might be . thanks for the confirmation.

Scott
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

bigblockwagon wrote:
PWMAX wrote:Just an FYI. Manley H-beams are made in china also.

Frank
I suspected they might be . thanks for the confirmation.

Scott
Not gonna find too many that are not over seas forgings
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert
Post by ClassicComp »

check on Manley Sportmasters or Crower Sportsmans
results speak for themselves
Nitrousknob
Pro
Pro

Post by Nitrousknob »

I used howards billet steel rods in a 15 degree nitrous sbc 800hp with no problem. They are excellent rods. Check out R & R rods. They make steel and Alum. billet rods Made in USA
T
Expert
Expert
Post by T »

The Howards rod is hard to beat. IMO Its a great rod.
T-flow
Bernard Mondello

Post by Bernard Mondello »

The Howard's Ultimate billet connecting rods are 100% USA made; from the billet forgings they use to the heat treat, stress relieving & machining. We've used Howard's rods in many of our engines in the last 5 years. As an engine builder, it is imperative to me that when we recommend or use a part, we know that it is made from USA produced material and it is manufactured in the USA. Howard's meets both those criteria. We sell several sets of these a month, all over the country to happy customers.

We also sell Crower and Manley, etc. Quick note on that. Howard's is a fully machined, forged billet connecting rod, whereby the other two (Manley & Crower rods listed in above post) are American forgings, but more of an OEM style connecting rod. Sorry for the long post......
There's only one reason to race; that's to win. Are we having fun yet? YES, because we're winning!
Tokyo Torquer
Pro
Pro

Post by Tokyo Torquer »

deleted
Last edited by Tokyo Torquer on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050-.523/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
540Hotrod
Post by 540Hotrod »

Just wanted to say Hi Bernard and welcome to the Forum! We haven't met yet but I I've heard a lot about you from my buddy Mark L. in New Hampshire.

Thanks for coming in. Your knowledge will be a great asset!

JIM
Bernard Mondello

Post by Bernard Mondello »

Tokyo - Carrillo does not make Howard's rods....

Jim - thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

Note on the Howard's rods: Howards's Ultimate Duty billet rods are the best kept secret in the racing connecting rod business. These rods are $400 to $800 less expensive than a comparable USA produced rod, depending on the company who manufactures the rods.
There's only one reason to race; that's to win. Are we having fun yet? YES, because we're winning!
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

540Hotrod wrote:Just wanted to say Hi Bernard and welcome to the Forum! We haven't met yet but I I've heard a lot about you from my buddy Mark L. in New Hampshire.

Thanks for coming in. Your knowledge will be a great asset!

JIM
=
X2, welcome Bernard, great to see you here

Don't remember for sure if we have met in person or not but another member of your family & I go back probably 40 some odd years
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
bigblockwagon
Post by bigblockwagon »

Bernard Mondello wrote:The Howard's Ultimate billet connecting rods are 100% USA made; from the billet forgings they use to the heat treat, stress relieving & machining. We've used Howard's rods in many of our engines in the last 5 years. As an engine builder, it is imperative to me that when we recommend or use a part, we know that it is made from USA produced material and it is manufactured in the USA. Howard's meets both those criteria. We sell several sets of these a month, all over the country to happy customers.

We also sell Crower and Manley, etc. Quick note on that. Howard's is a fully machined, forged billet connecting rod, whereby the other two (Manley & Crower rods listed in above post) are American forgings, but more of an OEM style connecting rod. Sorry for the long post......
Thanks for the feedback on Howards, I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go.

Scott
bigblockwagon
Post by bigblockwagon »

Thanks to all of you who took the time to offer up your thoughts on my connecting rod selection. :)

Scott