probe industries

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

k-star
Guru
Guru

probe industries

Post by k-star »

I am getting a quote ready for a customer. It's a 408 ford windsor. I got a price from probe for a rotating assembly. I have used their pistons before with no issues.

I was wondering if any one has used there rotating assy's and what you thought of them????

I assume it's scat or eagle rods and cranks????

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Mark Workman
Pro
Pro

Post by Mark Workman »

Have not used any in a few years, but about 10 years ago, before all the aftermarket stuff for SBFs was available, I would put several engines a year together with their assy's. The oem crank prep work was as good as I have seen. They were also pretty easy to deal with.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I ordered a 4340 crank, set of 6-1/8" 4340 Carillo style rods with a rod bolt upgrade, special ordered a set of 4.035" pistons with a 30CCdish, got the rod and main bearings and main cap girdle and main studs from them about a year ago.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-I had them internally balance the crank and specified that I did NOT want any thin wall wrist pin and I wanted the top ring down as far as it could be with that wrist pin height and that I didn't want some puny lightweight piston because this was for a turbocharged engine.
-I got Ross pistons that were actually pretty nicely done---a little light for my liking but they were thick where they need to be---and the pins were tapered wall sort of light but I feel comfortable with'm
-------------------------------------------------------------
-The only thing that gave me mental fits was the crankshaft.
-It looked like a cast crank--had been shotpeened with some really mean cut wire shot media and it just didn't look like any forged crank that I had ever seen.
-The crank looked to have been detailed really good before the shotpeen like they had a procedure where they ground or machined off all the normal edges---chamfered the leading and trailing edges of the counterweights etc.
-BUT it just looked more like a cast iron piece.
----------------------------------------------------------------
-So I hassled them about it---took pictures of it and made them send me photos of another forged crank before I sent them a photo of mine---and the photos of my crank and their crank photo were totally different.
----------------------------------------------------------------
-So I pounded on the crank to see how it sounded---and it sounded good---then I drilled a small hole in the end of the crank to see what the chips looked like---and the chips looked right.
-So I went ahead and used it but haven't run the engine yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
-SO---what I would do is request them to send you a photo of the exact crank they are using for your kit and make sure if you specify 4340 that you also specify "FORGED" 4340 material.
------------------------------------------------------------
-Throughout all of this they were actually pretty good about it all but I'm still not convinced about what I really got for a crank.