GM 90° V6

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

GM 90° V6

Post by SStrokerAce »

Have any of you guys had experience with the 90° V6 race motors al la NASCAR Busch North, ASA, Super Stock NHRA, along with the Syclone and Typhoon connection.

I picked up a set of of the BowTie 23° Raised Runner Aluminum heads so I figured why not.... it was this or build a 355 for my S10 winter beater. I just want as much power as a LS1 would give me but I have to use the same ECU (which can work for 6 or 8 cylinders) so it has to be the V6 or a SBC.

The V6 more interesting for a project and the parts are out there for it IF you can find the heads, but I covered that. Rods (Eagle has them), Pistons (SBC), Cam Cores, Valvetrain (SBC) will all work.

Blocks or core motors are cheap and easy to come by, all though I would like to run a Bowtie block I dont really need the cubes or the expense. A 87-92 non balance shaft block is probably what I will look for and then convert the center two mains to 4 bolt caps.

The intake manifold is one of the problems along with headers, but thats nothing fabrication cant take care of. There is a Pontiac intake to match up to the Brodix heads, but the intakes are hard to find as well and I'm going to make the motor EFI so the Edelbrock stuff isin't going work there or with the heads.

The heads I imagine have the same port cores as a Raised Runner Bowtie 101 casting. Does anyone have any good flow numbers for a 210-220cc ported version of those?

Anybody out there know of old V6 race parts lying around?

The old '95 era Chevy Power book gives some good guidelines on this buildup along with Hot Rods article on their attempt at this http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... ndex1.html

Little issues like max cam lift can be solved with link bar style lifters like a Morel and a little milling in the block if need be.

A 400hp 266ci V6 is equal to a 530hp 355ci V8, and to make it a street motor to boot is going to make this fun but not unobtainable since the heads are capable of high 290-300cfm flow, a .230 flow factor should hit the target HP goal.

Any thoughts?

Bret
Cobra

GM 90 Degree v6

Post by Cobra »

RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

That engine will produce around 460 HP if the heads are decent and the cam's right.

I'd stay away from it because the rod you mentioned is heavy, the crank is iron, the 90° V6 allways shakes, intakes are hard to find, and on and on and on.

If you've got the choice, keep your life simple by using the V8. If you're doing something like racing ARCA trucks that require a V6, then you're stuck using it.

The current market for old ASA or BGN engines is dirt. You can buy a whole engine for around $4K with a dry sump and 18° heads on it, if you find one.

This means you'll spend time, money, and energy to build a production-based 4.3L with aluminum heads on it that is worth absolutely no money once it's done. Not a good idea in my book.
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Thanks, kinda what I thought in the begining

Part of me still wants to do this, the other part of me knows better.

Only problem is that the 355 is kinda boring in a daily driver 400+ HP application.

Bret
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Sometimes boring is good:

Especially when you're talking 400 HP V8 with 400 or more ft. lbs. over a 3K RPM spread

-VS-

Tempemental V6 with no driveability, reliability, or broad power band that shakes like a cement mixer, costs more, and is worth less.
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

RW TECH wrote:Sometimes boring is good:

Especially when you're talking 400 HP V8 with 400 or more ft. lbs. over a 3K RPM spread

-VS-

Tempemental V6 with no driveability, reliability, or broad power band that shakes like a cement mixer, costs more, and is worth less.
Yah, but on the plus side with the V-6 you get............er.............ah.....................hmmm..........

I'll have to get back to you on that one........ 8)

tom
10secTy
Post by 10secTy »

I have some experiance with the V6 stuff. Being a Syclone/Typhoon guy I am kind of stuck with the V6. For the price of parts I am spending on my 305" bowtie V6 I could have built a very nice V8 and made more power.

So it all depends on what you want.I have used the stock block with 4 bolt caps and ran 10.79@123.9 in a 4200lbs suv(turbo)

We have built quite a few truck with the stock crank that run it this area and have never had a problem with the stock cranks. But we keep the rpms under 5900.

We have also built stockish 4.3's with unported vortec heads and small roller cams they typically run in the 260hp range. With head work and more cam 320-330 is pretty easy with the 2114 edelbrock intake.

I am building a 305" bowtie with a evenfire 3.75 billet crank and bowtie block with Brodix -8 heads. I am hoping it will make over 400hp na but the turbo will make up the rest.

Nolan