one piece oil pan gasket. SBC.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ralph85
Post by ralph85 »

Felpros seem to rip at the caps. I had more luck with the SCE one piece gasket. I was even able to reuse it on my engine and still no leaks.
Ralph
Steve Smith
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Smith »

I'm sorry to hear about everyones oil leaks but I'm quite relieved it's not just me!

I have bought two of the Felpro gaskets so far for my 81 Corvette. I initially thought they were cool as can be and had to be a major step forward. The first one leaked so bad I just knew I'd screwed it up so I bought another. Even with a bunch of black silicone I still have a drip.

I never leaked a drop prior to this and I have to assume I had the four piece gasket you guys mention, can't recall...

I figured the big difference was the original gasket was installed on the engine stand while the last two were put in from underneath in less than ideal conditions :(
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

Steve Smith wrote:I'm sorry to hear about everyones oil leaks but I'm quite relieved it's not just me!

I have bought two of the Felpro gaskets so far for my 81 Corvette. I initially thought they were cool as can be and had to be a major step forward. The first one leaked so bad I just knew I'd screwed it up so I bought another. Even with a bunch of black silicone I still have a drip.

I never leaked a drop prior to this and I have to assume I had the four piece gasket you guys mention, can't recall...

I figured the big difference was the original gasket was installed on the engine stand while the last two were put in from underneath in less than ideal conditions :(
Im like you, I would have thought that it would be more favorable in less than Ideal conditions.....more forgiving! The Mr Gasket one peice I used worked very good, it was the fel pro that leaked for me.....
nova383sbc
Post by nova383sbc »

Steve Smith wrote:I'm sorry to hear about everyones oil leaks but I'm quite relieved it's not just me!

Same here. I installed the first one I bought, chocked up all the leaks after the fact to it not being done right, not clean enough rails, not enough silicone, etc., but once I did it again (and dropped another $40 for another seal), I made sure there was enough, and very meticulously cleaned the rails as well as sealant application. Still leaked, if not more than the time prior.
supergass wrote:Im like you, I would have thought that it would be more favorable in less than Ideal conditions.....more forgiving! The Mr Gasket one peice I used worked very good, it was the fel pro that leaked for me.....
Mind showing me which one you used? Did you use any sealant on it, or just install it dry?
Steve Smith
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Smith »

I wonder if anyone at Fel-Pro looks at threads like this?
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

nova383sbc wrote:

Same here. I installed the first one I bought, chocked up all the leaks after the fact to it not being done right, not clean enough rails, not enough silicone, etc., but once I did it again (and dropped another $40 for another seal), I made sure there was enough, and very meticulously cleaned the rails as well as sealant application. Still leaked, if not more than the time prior.
supergass wrote:Im like you, I would have thought that it would be more favorable in less than Ideal conditions.....more forgiving! The Mr Gasket one peice I used worked very good, it was the fel pro that leaked for me.....
Mind showing me which one you used? Did you use any sealant on it, or just install it dry?
I installed mine dry except for the corners I used a very small amount of ultra grey. I cannot remember the part number but only that is was black and had no stiffners in the rail parts, just sleeves to keep from crushing it to far.
nova383sbc
Post by nova383sbc »

supergass wrote:
nova383sbc wrote:

I installed mine dry except for the corners I used a very small amount of ultra grey. I cannot remember the part number but only that is was black and had no stiffners in the rail parts, just sleeves to keep from crushing it to far.
Was this it?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6560

The Fel-Pro gasket I use right now is pretty stiff on the rails. Did you use any sealant from oil pan rail to gasket, both front/rear? Thanks. I'm tired of dealing with oil leaks and yanking the engine out.
speedmachine
Pro
Pro
Re: SEALANT

Post by speedmachine »

nova383sbc wrote:
k-star wrote:Hylomar...it's the deal that killed Elvis.

Contact Brian from Dakota parts wharehouse, he is a member here.

Keith
Whoa. The more I use, the more HP I gain, right? :wink:

Can't find him in the memberlist. Can you help a brother out?
Brian B
Dakota Parts Warehouse
The Ferrea Valve Guy
Now Stocking Hylomar
877 235 2832
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

nova383sbc wrote:
supergass wrote:
nova383sbc wrote: Same here. I installed the first one I bought, chocked up all the leaks after the fact to it not being done right, not clean enough rails, not enough silicone, etc., but once I did it again (and dropped another $40 for another seal), I made sure there was enough, and very meticulously cleaned the rails as well as sealant application. Still leaked, if not more than the time prior.
Was this it?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6560

The Fel-Pro gasket I use right now is pretty stiff on the rails. Did you use any sealant from oil pan rail to gasket, both front/rear? Thanks. I'm tired of dealing with oil leaks and yanking the engine out.
Yes, that is it! I used a little ultra grey in the corners (sparingly) and pretty much lightly oiled the rest. Silicone wont hardly stick to any of these types of gaskets.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I use the Ultra gray in the corners. The problem I have is it sticks too good. I can't clean it off when I reuse them.
governor
Expert
Expert

fel pro

Post by governor »

I also thought the one piece Fel Pro would be the best, but have had the same issues on 4 engines as a lot of you other guys'

I have even had pieces of it end up in the pan, as it would chunk off along the pan rails.

It will be back to the 4 piece, Fel Pro, Mr Gasket or Corteco.

Gov
a passion for racing
Tokyo Torquer
Pro
Pro

Post by Tokyo Torquer »

CNC BLOCKS wrote:We have had the best results with the Corteco gasket 16635 as it a softer gaskets and seals better then the Felpro from guys we have sold the corteco gaskets to.
+1 ..The MR Gasket gasket is the same as the Corteco gasket.. I wont use the blue Felpro rubber seals/ gaskets anymore.. everyone I have used has leaked eventually.. rubber swells and splits. Many others have had the same problem.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crank, Lunati rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050-.523/.542 lift-112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs
ssdoug

Post by ssdoug »

Well i thought it was me with a felpro one piece . Now i feel better the last one was on a world mowtown block with the big front main cap with a jesel belt drive so i relieved the cap but that didn't help.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert
Post by ClassicComp »

gave up on felpro 1 pc pan gaskets either use Corteco or glue them on with silicone sealant.
results speak for themselves
TheEngineWorks.com

Re: SEALANT

Post by TheEngineWorks.com »

k-star wrote:Hylomar...it's the deal that killed Elvis.

Contact Brian from Dakota parts wharehouse, he is a member here.

Keith
KILLED ELVIS!??!?!?!?!? :shock: :shock:

I think it was something other then Hylomar that killed Elvis..

Another product that guys who have used Hylomar use in place of it is Yamabond, I have used it in the past, and I'm gonna use it again to seal up some access plugs in the intake runners that are giving me a little problem.

Myself, I will NOT use the "retro" gasket on a s/b chevy again, not worth the aggravation OR price! Hell, I even take my chances w/ the multi-piece gasket on the b/b.. :lol:

Sometimes ya wonder what level of engineering goes into this stuff. I think they just design things like this and toss it out on the market with a bunch of good marketing. I have had more then one pissed off customer due to the "cool" retro Fel-Pro gasket. It is comforting, but disturbing to hear all the people with the same exact issues as we have had with this gasket that is supposed to make life better. :roll: