Cam Selection for 327 Kinsler-Lucas powered Kellison

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

you might like this then........

suddenly during an US car show in 2008, a second Kellison showed up, still in primer but already driven..........you can imagine how rare that would be to see two kellisons and one did not know about the other!

and that in tiny Austria......

this is the second during at local hill climb race
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Wow. That black car is gorgeous. I havent seen even one of these in person since the '70s. Be wild to see two in the same place. In the early/mid-sixties there was a 427 Ford powered Devin that was pretty successful at Westwood.
Vintrcr

Post by Vintrcr »

falcongeorge wrote:
I wasnt seriously suggesting running the "140" unless you were gonna go all-out and build a total period piece, with ported camel-bumps, period hilborns, the whole nine yards. IIRC, the 140 is the same as the 30-30, which was in the 365/375 hp 327's? It doesnt make ANY sense to use a period cam in an engine with modern visual cues, like aluminum heads and the bigger Hilborns. Having said that, the idea of doing a truly "period" engine for a car like this would be REALLY cool. How about the parts I mentioned at the start of the paragraph, with an Isky 550 super legarra? Dont forget a set of period magnesium torque-thrust Ds...
No we will not be running one of the early cams. Some things are visible, some are not. Isn't that the way its always been?
For clarification, the 140 cam is not the same as the 30-30. The 140 was an "over the counter" upgrade put out to be compatible with the cross ram 302's. And actually, these new "copies" of said cam are a bit off from the original GM grinds. So much for authenticity.
Yes, a pair of camel humps would look good, but in reality, there are so many cloned ones out there(now and back then), one has to really dig to see if they are "real".
The heads we are using are some of the very earliest produced by Brodix. Definitely not 60's stuff, but still almost 40 years old!
The Injectors are built by Kinsler, not Hilborn. They are are fed by a Lucas metering unit, a much more precise system. http://www.kinsler.com/page--Lucas--11.html The intake is a correct period piece, in fact it even carries a GM part number.
As we are restoring this car to how it sat circa 1969-early 70's, we feel comfortable using some of its earlier components along side many innovations of that period.
Magnesium wheels? Well yes, of course!!!!
Vintrcr

Post by Vintrcr »

Coolchevy, you just keep pulling them out of your hat! They are all beautiful cars.
Is it difficult to register vintage cars in Austria?
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Vintrcr wrote:
falcongeorge wrote:
I wasnt seriously suggesting running the "140" unless you were gonna go all-out and build a total period piece, with ported camel-bumps, period hilborns, the whole nine yards. IIRC, the 140 is the same as the 30-30, which was in the 365/375 hp 327's? It doesnt make ANY sense to use a period cam in an engine with modern visual cues, like aluminum heads and the bigger Hilborns. Having said that, the idea of doing a truly "period" engine for a car like this would be REALLY cool. How about the parts I mentioned at the start of the paragraph, with an Isky 550 super legarra? Dont forget a set of period magnesium torque-thrust Ds...
No we will not be running one of the early cams. Some things are visible, some are not. Isn't that the way its always been?
For clarification, the 140 cam is not the same as the 30-30. The 140 was an "over the counter" upgrade put out to be compatible with the cross ram 302's. And actually, these new "copies" of said cam are a bit off from the original GM grinds. So much for authenticity.
Yes, a pair of camel humps would look good, but in reality, there are so many cloned ones out there(now and back then), one has to really dig to see if they are "real".
The heads we are using are some of the very earliest produced by Brodix. Definitely not 60's stuff, but still almost 40 years old!
The Injectors are built by Kinsler, not Hilborn. They are are fed by a Lucas metering unit, a much more precise system. http://www.kinsler.com/page--Lucas--11.html The intake is a correct period piece, in fact it even carries a GM part number.
As we are restoring this car to how it sat circa 1969-early 70's, we feel comfortable using some of its earlier components along side many innovations of that period.
Magnesium wheels? Well yes, of course!!!!
Well, its an amazing piece either way. Please post some photos when its done!
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Ron, as far as the '60 El-Caminos go, a couple years ago, a black one showed up at a local car show that was a factory 348 tri-power 4-speed car! Not quite as cool as a Kellison, but close. If you are interested, I have a photo around here somewhere.
Vintrcr

Post by Vintrcr »

Well, its an amazing piece either way. Please post some photos when its done![/quote]

Falcongeorge, Yes I'll be sure to post some photos. Thanks for all of your input. You have made my first postings on this forum a pleasure!
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

Vintrcr wrote:Coolchevy, you just keep pulling them out of your hat! They are all beautiful cars.
Is it difficult to register vintage cars in Austria?
it is a lot easier then with modern muscle, thanks god. Problem is to make one understand what actually IS a Kellison as nobody knows it!