Engine Masters. Daily report.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

mbrooks wrote:

if it was possible to have an infinite number of gears or an infinitely variable ratio, then the rpm could remain at peak tq. and thrust available curve would be a smooth curve.
If it were possible to have the perfect cvt, the RPM needs to be at peak HP, NOT peak tq.. Acceleration would be the highest if the engine was kept right at peak HP rpm.

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

mbrooks wrote:
if it was possible to have an infinite number of gears or an infinitely variable ratio, then the rpm could remain at peak tq. and thrust available curve would be a smooth curve. it should also be apparent that it is important to have a relatively flat engine tq. curve over as broad an rpm range as possible. if tq. falls off sharply or has noticeable dips due to intake ram tuning and exhaust tuning effects, it will be more difficult to fill the holes in the thrust curve by changing gear ratios.

it makes the common practive of rating race engines by peak hp. look relatively meaningless.

all the above from racecar engineering & mechanics by paul van valkenburgh

i think it just reiterates what some of you are showing with the graphs and previous posts is all.

oops, just saw bills post, almost a double.
1st how is Bills post a double? he says that with a CVT it would run at peak HP, not peak Tq, and then goes on to give a real world example of shifting wayy past peak HP to get the highest average HP.

now you went on to say:

if it was possible to have an infinite number of gears or an infinitely variable ratio, then the rpm could remain at peak tq.

while it would most certainly be possible it will not yield the greatest performance, unless the pk TQ rpm was exactly equal to the peak HP rpm..
b/c at a higher RPM with higher HP the gear can be lower in effect multiplying the TQ.

BTW, remind me not to read books by paul van valkenburgh ...
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Post by Troy Patterson »

MadBill wrote:FWIW, many years ago I was doing tests on a ZR1 Corvette (with the Lotus 4-cam engine). I was moving the shift point higher and higher, looking for the magic point where the Gs after the shift matched the 'before'. The nominal power peak was as I recall, in the low six thousands, but I got right up to the rev limiter at 7,200 and still saw less accel after the shift. When I looked at the dyno sheet I knew why: Although the peak was indeed in the low sixes, the drop off was almost nil right out to the redline. For this engine and gear ratios, the optimum shift RPM would been ~ 7,600 and would have resulted in delivering an 'average power' output only a few horses less than the peak!
Sounds like Chevrolet and Lotus missed the boat on that one.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

OK Here is wheel thrust / mph. The first graph is with the original trans gears. the have a drop of between 77% and 83% of original rpm. The second graph has the ratios changed so that the drop is 90% +- 0.05%. The third graph has the ratios changed so that the drop is 95% +- 0.05%.

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

F1Fever wrote:
mbrooks wrote:
if it was possible to have an infinite number of gears or an infinitely variable ratio, then the rpm could remain at peak tq. and thrust available curve would be a smooth curve. it should also be apparent that it is important to have a relatively flat engine tq. curve over as broad an rpm range as possible. if tq. falls off sharply or has noticeable dips due to intake ram tuning and exhaust tuning effects, it will be more difficult to fill the holes in the thrust curve by changing gear ratios.

it makes the common practive of rating race engines by peak hp. look relatively meaningless.

all the above from racecar engineering & mechanics by paul van valkenburgh

i think it just reiterates what some of you are showing with the graphs and previous posts is all.

oops, just saw bills post, almost a double.
1st how is Bills post a double? he says that with a CVT it would run at peak HP, not peak Tq, and then goes on to give a real world example of shifting wayy past peak HP to get the highest average HP.

now you went on to say:

if it was possible to have an infinite number of gears or an infinitely variable ratio, then the rpm could remain at peak tq.

while it would most certainly be possible it will not yield the greatest performance, unless the pk TQ rpm was exactly equal to the peak HP rpm..
b/c at a higher RPM with higher HP the gear can be lower in effect multiplying the TQ.

BTW, remind me not to read books by paul van valkenburgh ...
bill doesn't say hp, he says power, then later refers to torque in a different sentence.

i guess carroll smith doesn't know what he is talking about either--

"the only good explanation of optimum gear ratio theory i have seen in print is in chapter nine of paul van valkenburgh's race car engineering and mechanics." from tune to win pg. 142.

i think stan's graphs have it displayed pretty well.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

do you have Carroll Smiths "Drive to Win" b/c I think he says otherwise in it...

And Stan, thanks for the graphs. Is there anyway to mark each gear curve at the peak TQ and peak HP numbers? thanks

we do agree about one thing, Stans graphs do display it well...
the engine only sees peak Tq in 1st gear, after that it stays right on the peak HP curve
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

A Atwood wrote:The ideal shift occurs EXACTLY when the horsepower has fallen to the point that the shift recovery rpm matches the hp before the shift.

ARN
Absolutely. But in reference to a previous post you'll find that when you only have 1 gear to play with (i.e. dirt oval etc.) you want to reach the "shift point" before its time to lift rather than just at the time to lift, in order to generate the quickest time down the straight. That being said, as you mentioned, there are other important factors to consider, available traction off the corner, what you want to do with the car at the end of the straight (depends on track, track conditions, traffic, etc. etc.), how much overrev the engine can tolerate. So in the end even the quickest straight line roll-on may not generate the quickest laptimes.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

In an actual application, while more gears help take advantage of the engine power curve, it is necessary to consider the time lost while making shifts. And that some shifts might occur at an awkward part of the track.

Now that we have all agreed to use the high end of the torque curve (which by definition makes more power), how do we design an engine to meet the needs of the car and the track application?
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

A Atwood wrote:My whole point to this topic is that acceleration is based off of average horsepower output.

Can we agree that an engines potential to accelerate a vehicle is highest at its power peak and NOT its torque peak? I'm not talking about a "given gear", just its raw potential.

ARN
David Redszus wrote:
Now that we have all agreed to use the high end of the torque curve (which by definition makes more power), how do we design an engine to meet the needs of the car and the track application?
I assume when you say "the high end of the torque curve" you are infact meaning "peak horsepower"
West Siloam Dispensary
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

F1Fever wrote: And Stan, thanks for the graphs. Is there anyway to mark each gear curve at the peak TQ and peak HP numbers? thanks
While I can not add the rpm to those graphs here the RPM graphed against mph to let you match them up. This is for the 95% which is the one you have drawn on.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Now that everyone is in complete agreement regarding engine performance, gearing and shift points, I'd like to add another function to the equation.

From actual logged data we find that a sprint car on a short dirt oval, uses full throttle only 44% of the time, the other 56% being at some partial throttle position.

A late model, short asphalt track Chevy 350, uses full throttle only 35% of the time, 25% is completely off throttle and the rest is somewhere between.

A histogram of both engine speeds shows only small amounts of time at speeds well above the torque peak and almost no time at the power peak.

Both cars are at the front and are extremely well driven.

So now we have the real world case of engines being driven at the wrong(?) rpm and mostly at partial throttle. So what difference does more horsepower make (except of course in drag racing)?
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

F1Fever,
I am not sure what you wanted. This is the 90% graph at a higher resolution with the wheel torque scale not as high to show more data. I have added a section from the RPM /MPH graph for the same gear ratios. Just right click on the image and select save image as.
Stan

F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

Thanks Stan, you have some pretty nice software there, that last graph is really nice.

==
David Redszus wrote:Now that everyone is in complete agreement regarding engine performance, gearing and shift points, I'd like to add another function to the equation.

From actual logged data we find that a sprint car on a short dirt oval, uses full throttle only 44% of the time, the other 56% being at some partial throttle position.

A late model, short asphalt track Chevy 350, uses full throttle only 35% of the time, 25% is completely off throttle and the rest is somewhere between.

A histogram of both engine speeds shows only small amounts of time at speeds well above the torque peak and almost no time at the power peak.

Both cars are at the front and are extremely well driven.

So now we have the real world case of engines being driven at the wrong(?) rpm and mostly at partial throttle. So what difference does more horsepower make (except of course in drag racing)?
In both these examples it's a little misleading due to the time the vehicle is under "full power" (not necessarily WOT)
but even then if the driver is up to the task and you give him enough power to spin in ANY section of the track where he can NEVER go WOT then you have given him 100% of the power he needs, never leaving anything on the table. if he's up to the task.

But just as Stan referred to a 27 page thread, I also am going to do the same.

See I'm such a proponent of HP that I even had the guy who started the thread and was posting 27 pages later about how important HP was... well I even had him defending TQ... so my position is pretty firm.

viewtopic.php?t=7809&start=90

Now that thread was pretty well outta control and I didn't post too much in it. I only posted a lot here b/c I was personally insulted and "attacked" by Randy earlier in this thread.

and you will also note where I backed out of the other thread...
viewtopic.php?t=7809&p=72354#72354

as it was going nowhere IMO...

and I have to admit, obviously we don't live in a perfect world.
As Arn said (b/c he's so much better with words..)
Potential

the highest average HP has the greatest Potential... not that it can or will.... although in your example i have to assume these cars are traction limited all but at the end of the straight (as I was given the opportunity to drive a car like this before, where I couldn't use the power it had b/c of traction)

IF some of that mid range could be traded to the top end it will probably make both of your two examples faster....
West Siloam Dispensary
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

F1Fever wrote: I only posted a lot here b/c I was personally insulted and "attacked" by Randy earlier in this thread.
Are you saying I insulted, and attacked you?

If so, in what post?

Randy
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

No, different fellow, rmcomprandy
I'm probably just too thin skinned and sensitive, should have just let it go anyways.
West Siloam Dispensary