12-degree Pro filer heads and other BBC questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

squirt

12-degree Pro filer heads and other BBC questions

Post by squirt »

Am cosidering switching from my blown 572 to a naturally aspirated big inch BBC engine to save weight.

Anyone used these heads yet and can someone offer up a good starting point for a parts combo?

Would like to make 1000 hp somewhere between 6,700-7,000 rpm
with 11.25:1 CR, possibly on pump gas.

So far the only parts i've somewhat settled on using are these heads, Pro Filer's single plane intake and a Dominator carb. Haven't decided how big to go with the displacement but am assuming using a tall deck block again.

Is it possible to make this kind of power or do i need to up the CR and forget about running pump gas?

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
bunner engines

12-degree pro filer heads and other bbc questions

Post by bunner engines »

yep , your goal is obtainable , if your budget is . we have built marine engines with this simular format that made 1040hp on 93 octane...we used the DART big m block 4.600x4.250 for 565 ci . the pistons was the major pain back in 2002 (profilers was pretty new then ) i think cp and wiesco can help now , but you'll need an inverted dome to get your 11.25.1 ... what serial # is your heads ? you can find it by a small stamping beside the # 2 or # 8 spark plug hole ! after #642 they got better quality . now to the meat of your questions ......#1 ..check the seat runout if they came straight from rfe ! if they are .012 runout your lucky , still needs to be fix'd of course but they are great heads other than that....next your going to have to get measurments on all head studs needed (big chief dont work) i had to get three different head stud kits to make them work and still , you'll have to modify four studs to fit under the intake rocker stands two on each bank. you will need to drill oil drain back holes from the heads to oil pan (I HAVE PICS IF SOMEBODY CAN POST THEM)......the single four intake that was designed by r&m is a work of art , back when i did this motor i had extensive hours in welding and epoxing the big chief intake to make it work ,and istill dont think it would make as much power as the r&m intake does ! ....now back to the pistons...the top ring would be best suited with an .043 ring backcut to .175 shallow groove with at least 1/16 second and three mill oil ring . if your going to use a vacuum pump ? you are also going to end up with THREE different lenght pushrods (because the offset on all intakes is not the same but all the exhaust is ) in other words , no offset on exh , but two on intake .......if you dont already have a block but need to order one do yourself a favor and get the bigger roller bearing block so you can run the bbford cam core AND ...and... get the block machined for the larger lifters so you can run a roller lifter with at least the .810 roller as apposed to the standard .750 roller wheel ! there is (no) way i can post on this forum all of the tribulations and trial and errer that i whent through to make this power on pump gas ...but it can be done and you can pm me for cam specs and such ...oh and one last thing , the pro filers out of the box (keep in mind with leaking valve seats ) flowed on my (pito not oriface bench ) went 483 intake @800lift and 300@800 lifton exh sooooo , with the correct seat work and port work ?????? well you get the picture !