thermostat, restrictor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wjnielsen
Pro
Pro

Post by wjnielsen »

NewTune wrote:Consider the way a typical air conditioning system works. The high pressure gas passes through an orifice tube or an expansion valve to the low pressure side where it sheds latent heat in the evaporator. I think the same thing takes place in a cars cooling system, however on a much smaller scale.
Sorry, doesn't really apply (to any measureable degree).

The heat transfer in an HVAC/regrigeration setup is due to the compression and expansion of gases.

Just like how nitrous, propane, or CO2 comes out of a bottle freezing cold. Because they get to expand a BUNCH as they go from liquid to gas.

The coolant in your engine and radiator is supposed to stay liquid (unless it boils). Therefore, it isn't compressible (to any meaningful degree). So, you don't get that benefit that you do w/ the refrigerant system or bottled gas.

My money would be on the trestrictor causing a bit more backpressure in the block which reaises the boiling temp inside the engine - forcing coolant to stay liquid instead of steam (and preventing the 'water drops dancing on the hot skillet' effect that keeps a hot spot from getting cooled.

-Bill
catbox
Post by catbox »

well 3 pages with a little bit of truth!..

a thermostat or any form of restrictor has no place in a racing engine, the only reson it even works a little bit in a racing application is because most drag car guys still use stock water pumps,..which will cavitate at anything over 3500rpm,..if the correct water pump was used, (something with a viened impeller),..the thermostat or restrictor would hurt cooling..

the stewart web site is full of facts on this subject.

us circle track guys have been dealing with the correct cooling methods for decades,...some of the dirt track guys completely block off the nose of the car and get there air for the radiator from the high pressure area under the nose.
DCK
Expert
Expert

Post by DCK »

Which "stewart web site"? Is that what it's actually called?
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

DCK
Expert
Expert

Post by DCK »

I checked it out. Thanks.

Is this the "Stewart" of Stewart-Warner?
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Not unless Howard Stewart is ancient. I believe he no longer owns the company whose website you saw.