Motown Race-Prepped Block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Re: CNC Machining

Post by OldSStroker »

JK@D wrote:yes Dart has CNC machining capabilites, But like Carl states his customers have to fill out a sheet, so that he can amchine the block to allow for their tolerances. We are nto going to get into maching blocks for every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. Thats is what machine shops, engine builders, and the home builder like myself do. We can do it but we make over 10,000 blocks per year, and can you imagine the amount of error's that could occur making each and every block to match one persons specs, not to mention the lag time it would take to precisely measure each and every block to each persons specs. Sure we can do it, my guys are very intelligent, but we dont want to take the machine shop and their expertise out of the market. Thats not what we do. If we raised the prices and bought more machines and hirede more people sure we could, its not what we do. Yes we hone the mains, the cam tunnel, and the decks are square, within .002, and they are typically .002 over the deck heights purchased. But when we hone the mains, and lifters due to variances in products not machined by Dart we have no choice but to hone these holes to the middle to tight side of engine building spec. This will allow aguy to remove more material of go with a .001 extra clearance bearings instead of having to add material, it is easier to remove than to add. I hope this helps you out OldsStroker. Thanks
Thanks. I fully understand that concept. I have a CNC turning grinding and honing business. Even running the machines backward doesn't put on material. :)

I was questioning your deviation from the stuff on the website, as quoted above and below:

"This translates into finished parts which are consistently superior out of the box and do not require expensive blueprinting after purchase."

Perhaps you and your website should present the same information.