minimum rod side clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Must agree with Baprace as its only a mathematical formula were the side clearance volume is greater than the bearing clearance volume so there is no restriction in oil flow. However, I'd sure like to be there when a Nascar goes for a test run with around .007" side clearance @ 10,000 rpm :roll:
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

mmmitch588, Nascar engines run virtualy no vicosity oil weight so it pours like water or thinner :shock: I would not be surprised at all to see them run with .007 side clearance, not sure how small a crankpin diameter is allowed.
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert
Post by bobqzzi »

Baprace wrote:mmmitch588, Nascar engines run virtualy no vicosity oil weight so it pours like water or thinner :shock: I would not be surprised at all to see them run with .007 side clearance, not sure how small a crankpin diameter is allowed.
Actually, I think at this point they are all piston guided
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

bobqzzi wrote:
Baprace wrote:mmmitch588, Nascar engines run virtualy no vicosity oil weight so it pours like water or thinner :shock: I would not be surprised at all to see them run with .007 side clearance, not sure how small a crankpin diameter is allowed.
Actually, I think at this point they are all piston guided
So side clearance would be greater than .007" I guess?
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

They are running some extremely tight bearing clearances now.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

CNC BLOCKS wrote:
They are running some extremely tight bearing clearances now.

Nope

Just old std .0012 rods and .0015 mains. :wink:
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Harley-Davidson V twins (5 piece built-up roller crank) need .020" to .030" side clearance to prevent the crank flex from pinching the rod.
Do automotive cranks wiggle this much?
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

SOME ... and not just the weak ones, either.
That sort of condition will require more than minimum side clearance. MINIMUM side clearance is based upon all the parts retaining their dimensional integrity.

I was told that a crank in an IHRA Pro Stock engine gets over .030" shorter when over 6500 RPM.
new engine builder
Expert
Expert
Post by new engine builder »

rmcomprandy wrote:SOME ... and not just the weak ones, either.
That sort of condition will require more than minimum side clearance. MINIMUM side clearance is based upon all the parts retaining their dimensional integrity.

I was told that a crank in an IHRA Pro Stock engine gets over .030" shorter when over 6500 RPM.
When you machine a crankshaft
do you machine for MINIMUM or do you try and machine for NOMINAL??
Yes,I'm just messing with you. :lol:
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

LOL ... that's not such an "off the wall" question in this day and age. If the journals are not absolutely round with no chatter picked-up with an Arnold guage and all journals are not consistant I will return it untill I get a good one.
Crankshaft technicians used to hate me untill I found a good guy who has the same standards I have.
Performance Crankshaft, Inc - Detroit
Len

Post by Len »

Hey Randy you getting kickbacks for advertising?????
Len
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

Hi Len,
I should :lol: but, Adney just does some great work, especially when consistancy is a priority.